UK Weather 2013

Has anybody got any stories of the weather from the last couple of days?

Last night at about midnight, I realised my ceiling was leaking. It turns out that some lead flashing wasn't holding back the torrents so I ended up with a series of saucepans on my bedroom floor. About 1AM, I went out to investigate (in my slippers, stupidly) and spotted that two Sky TV dishes had fallen off the side of the building outside my window. There was also TV antenna that had fallen onto a flat section of roof above my bathroom. I pulled that down and made it safe. I also found a large lump of lead and concrete on a path over on the other side of the building - potentially meaning loose tiles. Great.

At least two other flats in my building had ceiling leaks and an upstairs area that I found this afternoon whilst assessing the damage.

When I tried to call the letting agents this morning, they had an emergency number on their answer machine. I tried calling that and it was (predictably) switched off.

I noticed on the news earlier that one area of the country has been flooded quite badly and one forum member happens to live there. I wish him all the best.

Anybody have any tales of incompetent structural surveys/damage?

Weather story?

Well after a couple of days of shrieking winds and pounding rain we emerged on Christmas Eve to a lovely sunny day, blue skies nice breeze

I was doing my last minute shopping wearing sunglasses. Yes, sunglasses.

Remember this is Britain. We don't do sunglasses after September! That's a lifetime first for me!

It seems like , weather,the world over,is becoming more dangerous,and unpredictable.Ice storms and flooding in the midwest and in Canada.Freak differences in temperature.

Just a few days ago,it was 71 degrees F in NY City.On Christmas day here,it's a balmy 24 F.

Sorry to hear about your roof damage Dunc,but what's Christmas without some pots and pans on the floor?:):)

Hang in there guys.If it's any consolation,Hurricane Sandy,made land fall here on October 29,2012,and there are STILL,thousands of displaced families,trying to get back into their homes.

I say,put back the moon rocks..........oh ,that's right,that's right,.......we were never there,.......it was a Stanley Kubric movie.:):)

Steve B

Last edited:
Big floods in the valley here Duncan. I really struggled to get home on Monday evening. Having traversed several road floods up to the doors of my car, I was defeated by one flood because the flow was just too fast. Final challenge - the lane to my house. Predictably, it was a 1 in 4 gradient river. Required full throttle in first gear to fight the water, but I got there. My driveway was totally dry, thanks to my recently installed flood drainage scheme. Those pipes were operating at full bore!!!

Eek. Almost nothing here, thank goodness, we've got off very lightly indeed, but we've been on the receiving end of flood damage in the past, when we lived in the south-east of England, and it isn't fun at all.

Just a few days ago,it was 71 degrees F in NY City.On Christmas day here,it's a balmy 24 F.

We had a week of temps around 35C then on Christmas it rained all day and was around 21C.

Sorry to hear about your water woes, Duncan and Andy. Good to get the roof fixed - I've been sick from mould.

No interesting weather stories in the past few days on the western Atlantic side. Sorry to hear about your roof and structural damage, and the water damage. I have a bachelors of A.S/meteorology so any weather or wx damage talk is always intriguing. :)

I worked out how my roof leaked.

The flashing on the side is intact but there's a small gap underneath it.

The rain was getting pushed up and under the gap in the flashing. Never seen anything quite like it.

I was thinking about your lane the other day, Andy (said the actress to the bishop). Glad you made it through! I heard about floods in Godalming so I was worried about Ben.

Thanks for your concern guys, fortunately no magic powers will be needed as I am on a hill here and the river would have to rise 90 metres or so to reach me (presumably spelling the end of human civilisation as we know it in the process). However, we did have the opposite problem of no running water for 12 hours on Christmas eve due to the pumping station that supplies our nearby reservoir being out of power. We also had no power from 4pm on the 23rd until 6.25pm on the 24th, and then again from 3am until 3pm on the 25th, so it's made for an interesting time. The flooding in the town is the worst I've seen it in my lifetime, and I think only a few inches below the record flood level from 1968, so I think a lot of people will be badly affected. Guildford has seen similar, looks pretty serious.

I am on a hill here and the river would have to rise 90 metres or so to reach me (presumably spelling the end of human civilisation as we know it in the process). .
Ah, so you have the power of gravity at your disposal. As if that's not impressive enough, you also predict the mechanism bringing about the end of the human race! Wow, a powerful presence amongst us be thee :)

Back