New Video

Hi John- I can really appreciate how much time and dedication you've put into your playing and I totally commend you for that, it's a hard thing to do. And I don't mean to detract from your playing because it's great, but if I could offer a friendly critique it would be this. Your playing seems really "licky" and what I mean by that is somehow you seem to demonstrate every lick Ive ever seen or heard all within a few minute video. I don't really have any solutions to offer you if you do want to change that but I just thought Id offer you my opinion from one drummer to another. Thanks Jason Burns

Thanks Brian!!

I plan on doing a few more takes of this one. It's a really busy/different type of a tune. Like I said it was written as kind of an exercise for playing band kicks but I started to like it and enjoy playing it. Each time I play it I try to play differnt stuff. So, probably hit this one a few more times.

Thanks again Brian.

John

Your playing seems really "licky" and what I mean by that is somehow you seem to demonstrate every lick Ive ever seen or heard all within a few minute video.

Sorry I disagree extremely. Not once did I see him lick his drums.

Anyway, great playing John and incredible work staying on time with all that odd time feel in that play along. I feel you incorporated the perfect fills at the right time through out the whole video. Thanks for sharing.

Hey everyone-

Just posted another vid-

This is one of the tunes I wrote to play at my drum clinics. Its a crazy song/exercise in playing kicks with the band. After writing the Ensemble playing section of my Elements Book (Page 32) I thought it would be fun to have a song that demos Ensemble playing..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOwRX5Pw9o

Very nice John! Not to deter from Jason's comments, but I like the lick at 1:07 (ie, I don't know how to do the lick, although I've heard it plenty of times by other drummers, so).

I think what adds to it is the clean mix you have. I suppose it has to have an effect on the quality of your practice sessions .. that is, the ability to hear every drum, every cymbal. Plus, you're probably listening to the mix through your headphones (noticed your headphone cord got loose on you).

Can you transcribe the lick at 1:07? Also, the end riff... is that three hits on the FT, then two hits on the BD?

Cheers

Steph

Hi John- yes that's my playing and it took me my whole life to decide what to play in that video. As it did you, John, I'm sure. Lol

Very nice playing indeed. I love the tom sound - can you tell us about your tuning?

thx

jorn

Hi jorn!

Thanks! My tuning is a combo of a few things. Head combination , using my ears to hear the pitch and listening to them with the Mics on. The heads are clear Remo Emporars on the top and clear ambassador on bottom( coated Emporars on Floor tom batter).

I just got a Tune Bot. It's a great tool to get the drums tuned right up fast.

JF

what time signature is it in dude its super clean?? maybe im hearing a subdivision change not a time signature here: 2 36 then 240 the notes sound different

especially 3:23 sounds like a different time signature if you can't share because its the secret to the sick sound i understand dude but i only want to know so i can try and make my own stuff in those frameworks

what time signature is it in dude its super clean?? maybe im hearing a subdivision change not a time signature here: 2 36 then 240 the notes sound different

especially 3:23 sounds like a different time signature if you can't share because its the secret to the sick sound i understand dude but i only want to know so i can try and make my own stuff in those frameworks

Hey Vorsybl

This track has time signature changes as well as 3-3-2 phrases in 4/4. There are some 5/16 and 7/16 measures that are fun to play. I wrote this to challenge my self as well as kind of an exercise in playing hits with the band.

Thanks for checking it out !!

John

Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I really want to experiment with these ideas but don't know where to start, it's kind of overwhelming. Seeing notes would help. Can you email it to me maybe? WHen you get a chance obviously start of a new week is always annoying

If you can send it to me within the next 2 hours would be good because im at the office and can print it out

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I really want to experiment with these ideas but don't know where to start, it's kind of overwhelming. Seeing notes would help. Can you email it to me maybe? WHen you get a chance obviously start of a new week is always annoying

If you can send it to me within the next 2 hours would be good because im at the office and can print it out

Ok, I will scan it and post here. Is that cool?

Back