Evans Dry heads

Hello,

I was wondering if the vents that are located in Evans dry heads have an effect on the durability of the heads.

Since a friend of mine and me are asked to get new heads for school we wanted to have an good opinion of the dry heads, especially because the heads will be used a lot, and sometimes by unexperienced drummers.

We would love to hear some opinions!

Casper + Bram

All of my snare heads are Evans Genera HD dry and although I am not a heavy hitter I do play everyday and have not had one rip or split on me. Hope that helps.

All of my snare heads are Evans Genera HD dry and although I am not a heavy hitter I do play everyday and have not had one rip or split on me. Hope that helps.

It certainly helps a lot!

But we would also love to hear something from people who are hard-hitter or from people who have crashed their heads!

Last edited:
Well... I'm not the heaviest hitter, but I am known to lay into the snare. You won't break one of the HD dry heads.

I've been using the same head as Grunter for the past 3 or so months and I'd have to agree; damn durable. I myself am not the hardest hitter, but I really like laying into rim shots and I've taken a good look at the head and haven/t seen any dents or divots and the coating hasn't worn away too much either (I play with brushes pretty frequently).

Although the holes would be my only complaint about the head and playing with brushes; it's not uncommon for a wire or two to get caught up or snag up on a hole. It hasn't caused any noticeable damage to the head, but it can throw you off if you're not expecting it. It does force you to tighten up (accuracy wise) the strokes when swooshing around.

Guys, I really appreciate these comments!
They are very helpful in our quest to find the best snarehead!

There's one other head in the series. The ST (Super Tough) Dry. It's a thicker head than the HD. The head that should last for a very long time. It has the same vents and muffling ring as the other dry heads.

HTH

ive been using genera dry and st dry for years now and i am a hard hitter, ive never broken a skin , and these can take major punishment and still be tuned up many times with out stretching much. Great skins IMO.

I played the same Genera Dry head on my main snare for over 3 years, and when it finally did go, it was in the center where I hit, not at the vents. Good snare heads.

I'll be honest sometimes I hit really hard. I usually have one of my snares with a ST dry and another with a normal ST. I have only ever broke one snare head and it was a cheap single ply aquarian I got for free.

I was going to buy an evans hd dry for my ludwig supraphonic that I ordered, should I just go ahead and switch out the heads as soon as I get it, or use the head the snare comes with, wear it out, then switch?

Hello,

I was wondering if the vents that are located in Evans dry heads have an effect on the durability of the heads.

Since a friend of mine and me are asked to get new heads for school we wanted to have an good opinion of the dry heads, especially because the heads will be used a lot, and sometimes by unexperienced drummers.

We would love to hear some opinions!

Casper + Bram
I absolutely destroy thin heads. I can't even use a coated Ambassador because I dent it so fast. I use a Power Centers exclusively for their sound and have to change them all the time. I've only owned two heads that I couldn't break: The Rock AF and HD Dry. I couldn't do even a tiny bit of damage to either of them and eventually just threw them out after getting tired of the dryness. The HD Dry, even though it's mylar, held up just as well as the kevlar head. The Genera Dry held up pretty well too, but didn't come close to the former two in terms of durability. Of any muffled head, my all-time favorite is the EC1. Yes, it's a tom head, but it's super durable (14 mil!) and isn't completely dead and nasty sounding like most muffled heads.

Ive used the dry heads before and i wouldnt worry about the vents affecting durability. Im not a very hard hitter, but it shouldnt be any more or less durable than any standard evans head of the same mil.

I use the HD Dry on my 14X8 Ludwig Coliseum and on my 6.5X14 BP Brass and have never had any problems with them. I

Back