Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Yes, and playing "money beat" isn't as boring as it may seem, because every song, even
every measure can feel different and create excitement. Every stroke is as much a challenge
as playing complex patterns and licks.
I know that ie. Virigl Donuti has no problem playing two and fours, and I suppose Mic Mancini
hasn't either, although they both shine most when they can do what they do best.

I sure don't get bored playing straight up, but I can understand why guys like this would want to strut their stuff.

If you've got it, might as well flaunt it :)

Whoever gets in, one thing is clear. LaBrie still has terrible hair.

Yes, but we're talking about the music business. People pay big money for their expectations to be met. They love the old DT standards and they're hanging out to hear the hero fill at the end of the bridge or whatever. To mess with it would almost be akin to Phil Collins improvising the signature fill of In the Air. No one's going to mess with the da-da-da-das in Beethoven's 5th either. To avid fans I expect those MP parts are simply part of the song.

Thing is, while the situation isn't perfect, it's not as though the band's playing hoary old standards by rote - they are making a good living playing complex, exciting non-standard music which no doubt gives them a huge buzz. How many musos have the chance to stretch out like that and make good money these days? After all, many play money beat variations for their supper and often without variation between versions as well.

This would be an incredible gig for drummers with an appetite for prog metal and the facility to handle it, even if they are required to retain the essence of MP's parts. No doubt they'll have much more freedom with new songs.
Great points as always! :)

I found that odd too.

On the one hand they are looking for a new drummer, a new family member, and on the other, they want the drummer who sounds like Portnoy the most.

Mangini happens to come closest to the requirement so far ( imo ) , but when they talked about Lanf & Vigril doing some interpretation, which I foolishly thought was a good thing, they made it sound like a negative.

Mangini is good enough to sound like all of the above. Every drummer so far has been capable of the music, no doubt about that. It's now down to silly things like style and image.

Yes, but we're talking about the music business. People pay big money for their expectations to be met. They love the old DT standards and they're hanging out to hear the hero fill at the end of the bridge or whatever. To mess with it would almost be akin to Phil Collins improvising the signature fill of In the Air. No one's going to mess with the da-da-da-das in Beethoven's 5th either. To avid fans I expect those MP parts are simply part of the song..

Yes, and as Bernard said, people have a penchant for air drumming the signature fills in Dream Theater songs. Dream Theater is a cult band, and many of the fans are loyal and probably have spend weeks worth of time listening to the CDs.

I just did a clinic om early rock n roll and a big part of my presentation was grooves and where they came from. I talk about the Tommy Igoe stuff and a lot of drummers including prominent ones say, "how can you play the same beat over and over?"

Hey everyone!

Hope you guys will like the last episode. Regardless of what everybody thinks of this "documentary" I myself have enjoyed it A LOT!!! Sure some parts are overly dramatic but I think it's entertaining. Also personally I've enjoyed every second of watching the other drummers audition since I'm a huge fan of all of them!

I always tell my students how great the drumming community is and that everybody help each other out and share their drumming knowledge. It just makes me a bit sad to see some bashers that have to complain. Then, don't watch! Let's keep the drumming community free from the hater like Youtube people. We just have to face the fact that each and everyone are allowed to have their own taste!

Derek, soo cool of you posting, great to see your point! Keep on inspiring all these drummers out there!!! Loved your playing on "The spirit carries on"! :)

50 minutes.... :)

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

Hey everyone!

Hope you guys will like the last episode. Regardless of what everybody thinks of this "documentary" I myself have enjoyed it A LOT!!! Sure some parts are overly dramatic but I think it's entertaining. Also personally I've enjoyed every second of watching the other drummers audition since I'm a huge fan of all of them!

I always tell my students how great the drumming community is and that everybody help each other out and share their drumming knowledge. It just makes me a bit sad to see some bashers that have to complain. Then, don't watch! Let's keep the drumming community free from the hater like Youtube people. We just have to face the fact that each and everyone are allowed to have their own taste!

Derek, soo cool of you posting, great to see your point! Keep on inspiring all these drummers out there!!! Loved your playing on "The spirit carries on"! :)

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

I don't see it as a documentary, but more of a showcase on how some of the greatest drummers in the world tackle professional situations. I would really like extended versions with everything that was played(jam sessions, playing through the songs etc), and without the small-talk and LaBrie telling every drummer how great they are :p.

One thing that no one has brought up is the ad placement for mascara... they DO realize that the fan base for Dream Theater is like 95% male (if not higher) right? And, it's not like the fan base is predispositioned to wear goth makeup.

*Shrugs* I don't know, it just struck me as funny that the vast majority of people watching these auditions, documentary, showcase, whatever you want to call it is going to be male and NOT into wearing makeup. Poor ad placement unless some guy is going to be shopping with his wife and suggests she try the new mascara based on the product placement in a DT documentary LOL.

Almost time!!

Hey everyone!

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer
I agree with you completely. This is all good entertaining fun. None of the drummers were hurt during the making of this tryout. :) Drumming is supposed to be fun. If you can make money doing it than all the more power to you. Most of us can't. Not real money anyways. Lets all agree to disagree on stuff. It is not worth going as far as hurting someones feelings over. I need to remember this personally. I can be very opinionated at times. :)

Minnemann is out of the race. He posted it on his Facebook page but then removed the post shortly after that. Just read that on a german Forum.

I believe it must be either Aquiles Priest or Mike Mangini. My money would be on Aquiles, allthough I don't really like his drumming in general, he seems to be a perfect fit for the band. His playing is almost exactly like Portnoys which seems to be what the band is after.

Well seeing how happy he was that he got the job, I would say that the right man won. I have gained a new respect for the guys in the band as well. They really carry themselves quite well. That goes a long way for me. That was a fun ride. Too bad it is over.

The upcoming issue of Drumhead Magazine, issue 27, will have an 18 page look at Mike Mangini. This is the May-June issue. Check it out.

Down to the two freaks of nature and the almost unkown Peter Wildoer. I see great things in your future, Peter :)

Many congrats to Mangini. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table on the next album. Hopefully the boys will let him do his thing and not tell him what to play any more than they would have when Portnoy was behind the kit.

I really thought Mangini was the right guy almost from the minute I saw him play with them on the first episode. He just has the right flavor of intensity - almost like a Bozzio from 25 or 30 years ago. Also, he was really mental about it as Matt pointed out - there was nothing tepid or half way in his mental approach or preparation. The chemistry was just there, too - he owned those guys from the minute he walked into the room: he was gracious, familiar, honest, and just immediately likable. Then there was his jaw-dropping drumming. I like him better than Portnoy to be honest.

I just thought of something. I bet Pearl is pretty happy right now. :)

tRe: Dream Theater's new drummer

They really milked the concept of a replacement drummer, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Portnoy was and will remain a major icon for DT but its almost as if the band has lifted and refreshed. Very much looking forward to the spin Mangini puts into the next album.

Back