Do Iron Corbra have issues lining up their beaters?

T

The Old Hyde

Ive seen a few pics lately. The first being the 7000 kit on here for sale, the second was a members kit pic and last night while thumbing through the new Modern Drummer, the inside spread of some pros kit, and the pedals I actually used at a practice studio kit. They all have Iron Cobra double pedals and on all of them, the beaters don't line up. Why? it seems like all the pics I see of dw's or pearls pedals the beaters are in line with each other, the iron cobras, they don't.

You can adjust the beater angle as you do with most pedals. I think it's just a coincidence that you saw a few pedals where the owner didn't adjust it.

You can adjust the beater angle as you do with most pedals. I think it's just a coincidence that you saw a few pedals where the owner didn't adjust it.

that's what I thought, but the big picture in modern drummer on a pros kit? these pedals all look worn out to me,

that's what I thought, but the big picture in modern drummer on a pros kit? these pedals all look worn out to me,

Maybe he's got a gimpy leg :)

Pretty sure you can line 'em up precisely, just like any pedal.

I used to have an older Tama Imperialstar and my iron cobras lined up perfectly, the issue never even came to thought. I'm now working with a Gretsch Renown and my iron cobras are incredibly out of line. From what I remember my Tama set had something called an Accu-tune hoop. It's an indent on the bass drum hoop which the bass pedal clamp grabs onto. My Gretsch Renown set is just a smooth rounded surface and when I tighten my pedal clamp the pedal actually raises off the ground and the beaters become misaligned. I've tried multiple settings, tensions, bass drum heights, peg adjustments and I just can't seem to figure it out. My current solution is not tightening the pedals at all, they don't seem to slide anywhere on my mat but I feel as if my playing is less responsive, might just be psychological though.

My IC beater will not stay lined up.2-3 strokes after adjusting them, the left will always be out of wack. Then again, they are almost 18 years old. I think it's time for a new set.

Back