Ludwig "Speed Master"

haredrums

Silver Member
Hey Guys,

This is the first time I have posted in the "Gear" section, but I had to share this blog post with you because there is an issue I would like to get your feedback on. The post is about how much I enjoyed playing on a vintage Ludwig "Speed Master", you can read it here:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/05/ludwig-speed-master-bass-drum-pedal.html

The issue I wanted to talk about is how older hardware all seems to be so much lighter than new hardware. The Speed Master I was talking about probably weighs half what my current "Iron Cobra" weighs, and to me that just doesn't make sense.

As a gigging drummer, lighter hardware=better hardware as long as the hardware is well designed. Why would older hardware consistently weigh so much less? What is going on?

In my blog post I (somewhat seriously) joked that super heavy hardware comes to us from the days of hair metal, but I am actually curious as to why drum companies would start to make hardware without considering weight. Is it a style or function thing?

What do you guys think?

I posted a thread up a few weeks ago with a similar thesis. Hardware is too heavy. I recently bought a low-end Yamaha strap-drive pedal and it's just fantastic. Much lighter than my DW5000 and it's lovely to play. Over-engineering really is a burden.

Back