Need help on choosing brush sticks

Neither.....they are just different.

The wire brushes will give you that classic brush sound heard on countless jazz recordings. The nylon brushes sound different again, they have a 'plastic' sound to them (shocking description I know, but I just can't think of anything better for you). Your best bet is to try them both on a drum at your local store and see which one appeals.

For that classic 'sweep' sound...go with wire.

Get a pair of both!
I use the Zildjian wire brushes with the raked ends. I also use the regal tip Blasticks nylon brushes with a wooden handle.
Try them all for yourself and decide on your favorites. The wooden brushes are also cool.

I use the vic firth heritage brushes and I gotta say they're scratchin me right where I itch.

Gross... I've found powder works a lot better. :)

Anyway...I use the the VF Heritage brush too, as well as the Steve Gadd model that has the bent ends, similar to the Zildjian model. I didn't decide on a pair until I got to try out several models. Each pair of brushes will feel and sound slightly different, so just go test drive as many as you can. I will recommend the wire brushes over plastic though-just more authentic. Happy hunting.

by the way, does the wire brush get rusty? How do you clean them?

Only if you leave it in the rain! Buy retractable ones, they pull back down inside the handle when not in use. Head to your local store and check 'em all out mate.....only way to know for sure what you like.

Back