Evans new Level 360 drum heads

Learned about it on facebook today. Makes so much sense to me - and the pro feedback looks good! Sometimes it's the small things... that get overlooked. I'm sure other manufacturers will follow.

Learned about it on facebook today. Makes so much sense to me - and the pro feedback looks good! Sometimes it's the small things... that get overlooked. I'm sure other manufacturers will follow.

I agree, it seems like a subtle change, but I think it actually makes a significant difference. When they spun the head around on the drum... that was pretty cool! I'd definitely like to try some of them out.

Seems like a fine concept, is it a totally new line of heads or does it apply to all?

I guess we'll see when they're released if there's much of a noticeable difference in sound, tuning range or feel.

I'm glad they're still pushing to make their products better though.

Seems like a fine concept, is it a totally new line of heads or does it apply to all?

I guess we'll see when they're released if there's much of a noticeable difference in sound, tuning range or feel.

I'm glad they're still pushing to make their products better though.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they're going to use this new hoop process on all their heads. Don't quote me on that though!

So this is a new manufacturing process that improves the flatness and uniformity of the head and hoop? Sound like it would apply to all existing lines...

But is this a promise they can make? It seems like so much of a head's quality, in those regards, are outside of their control. Sure, it may leave the factory perfectly flat, and round, but a head/hoop are very pliable and anything can happen in shipping, and stocking.

Seems interesting, I'm about to change my tom batters so I'll probably just wait to pick some of the newer heads with the 360 collar. I read that they will apply these new 360 collars to all 6"-16" drum set snare and tom heads, as well as tenor marching heads.

Actually, according to the Evans website:

"All 6-20" polyester film heads include the Level 360 collar."

Their approach definitely addresses the problem I've been having with Remo heads and my Sonor 3007s, many heads just don't fit on the bearing edge. But calling them "level 360" as if these new drum heads would be the only ones with the ability to sit perfectly even on the bearing edge... that's the way my Evans drum heads have always been, and it's the way every drum head should, and could be, minor inconsistencies in drum sizes is the main problem.

I guess they should start appearing in stores pretty soon? Shall be interesting to see if this is going to be a "revolution" of such proportions as Evans depicts it.

Last edited:
I made the switch to Evans G2 Coated on my toms in 2000, I love them, so easy to tune and sound great, and these are supposed to be easier to tune? Wow!

So, when can I buy them and how will I know I'm getting a Level 360 G+ instead of old stock? I'm due to replace the stock heads on my drums sometime soon.

One thing to note is that the amount of benefit this head gives is likely very dependent on the bearing edge you have. I'd bet it really shines on something like a Ludwig Classic Maple with a single-45 bearing edge.

youll know by the giant 360 logo on it.

F

Honestly, I don't even understand the point of the collar. I tried a Remo snare side ambassador without the collar once, and as soon as it was on, it stretched - and thus, a perfectly fitting collar was born. I feel like a deeper collar might work really well for some drums, but be awful for anything with a edge different from the standard 45. I've never tried a thicker batter head without a collar, but I would love to. Perhaps it would be too thick to stretch, but it sounds like a plausible idea in my head.
Either way, props to Evans for pushing technology forward, even though I don't use any of their products. Good marketing, too. That's always been their forte IMHO :).

Honestly, I don't even understand the point of the collar. I tried a Remo snare side ambassador without the collar once, and as soon as it was on, it stretched - and thus, a perfectly fitting collar was born. I feel like a deeper collar might work really well for some drums, but be awful for anything with a edge different from the standard 45. I've never tried a thicker batter head without a collar, but I would love to. Perhaps it would be too thick to stretch, but it sounds like a plausible idea in my head.

Same. I've never had any problems with any drumheads not fitting my drums, certainly not to the extent shown on the DW in that ad. And the head is just going to get stretched to that "perfect" shape when it's tightened onto the drum. I don't see this process making enough of a difference for me to switch from Remo or even care at all- but I guess we'll see when they're released and non-endorsers can offer their opinions.

It seems to me that the new Evans technology got their drum head hoops to lay flat, lol. A lot of the video is targeted to the players that have difficulties tuning their drums. The paraphrased comment, because I couldn't quit make out a few of his words, "we just want to play drums, we don't want to have to tune them", comment will impress these people. Just like a friend of mine who was through the Evans plant less than a year ago said to me, they're always experimenting with something, which is great, but how many variations of these un-marked experiments are already out there sitting on shelves? The heads that I'm using now, both Evans and Remo fit well on all my kits and can spin freely on a few, especially my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. I definitely don't need a head on those drums that fit any looser than what I'm already using.

It sounds like a fix that might help a few, especially if they don't like all that tuning bull****, lol.

I'll try them when they're on the shelves because I'll have no other choice if I want to remain predominately with Evans especially if they use this new process on all their future drum heads. I would very much like to see and hear a more consistent version of their G2 clear and coated heads so that less dead heads make it into my hands. It has already been stated by an Evans rep that this is a "static" problem. There you go a real problem to feast on.

If this newest improvement serves us all positively in some way, then all well and good for their initiative.

Dennis

And the head is just going to get stretched to that "perfect" shape when it's tightened onto the drum.

That depends on how imperfect the shape was, and how much you tighten it. Part of Evan's claim is that you get better sound at low tunings, where there'd be less stretch.

That depends on how imperfect the shape was, and how much you tighten it. Part of Evan's claim is that you get better sound at low tunings, where there'd be less stretch.

I wonder if the ability to tune lower will impact the life of the head at all, not stretching it as much seems like it would extend the life a bit, if you're not a hard hitter.

I wonder if the ability to tune lower will impact the life of the head at all, not stretching it as much seems like it would extend the life a bit, if you're not a hard hitter.

I find it tends to go the other way that the more tension the longer they last as the impact is spread out over the whole head more efficiently.

I find it tends to go the other way that the more tension the longer they last as the impact is spread out over the whole head more efficiently.

Absolutely, I've never seen a dented tight head. I've seen dented Hydraulics, tuned JAW.
A more uniform collar would probably help with lower tunings, but any collar leaves more room for manufacturing error than no collar. If anybody knows of a collarless batter head, let me know. I'm curious to try one.

Back