Bass Drum Head

JoeGillDrummer

Hey Guys,
First post on here.

I currently have a Remo Pinstripe on my 18" Bass Drum, I've had it a while and thinking of re-skinning it. I'm not sure whether to go with Evans as I have G2's on my toms. Alot of people have spoke about the Aquarian having good Bass Batter heads. Just general advice, skins you like/don't like etc,

Thanks in Advance
Joe

skins I like:
aquarian super kick I and II.
why i like super kicks?
they have kind of glued on some form of foam on the inside of the skin, and because of this i really don't have to dampen my drum much more - gets the thud i want from my kick drum

skins i don't like:
evans emad.
why i don't like the emad?
the plastic casing on the outside often breaks off, and i've seen WAY too many drummers just gaffa tape it back on - looks horrible makes it sound bad, so why bother?

undecided/don't care:
the rest.

seeing as you have an 18" are you going for more of a note that sings or a thud?

if you want a note just go for a PS3 or an EQ4, but if you want a thud i'd recommend a superkick I or II. depending on what you want.

skins I like:
aquarian super kick I and II.
why i like super kicks?
they have kind of glued on some form of foam on the inside of the skin, and because of this i really don't have to dampen my drum much more - gets the thud i want from my kick drum

skins i don't like:
evans emad.
the plastic casing on the outside often breaks off, and i've seen WAY too many drummers just gaffa tape it back on - looks horrible makes it sound bad, so why bother?

undecided/don't care:
the rest.

seeing as you have an 18" are you going for more of a note that sings or a thud?

if you want a note just go for a PS3 or an EQ4, but if you want a thud i'd recommend a superkick I or II. depending on what you want.

Thank You! Some good detailed advice there, I will look into the Aquarian Superkick's. What are the differences between Superkick I and Superkick II?

Thanks

The physics of the 18" bass drum, I think, don't lend themselves to thuddy heads with rings on them. I think they're too small. I had the best response with a 2-ply head like a pinstripe or a G2. Anything more than that and the drum loses any tone it could use for projection, especially if you tune just above wrinkles. I would stay with the 2-ply and avoid any extra dampening. In fact, if you can deal with the lack of durability, a straight Ambassador or G1 I think would do even better.

Check out the Jaco Pastorius album Invitation (live in Japan) with Peter Erskine playing his Yamaha Recording Customs with a 18" bass drum. I recall he said he used straight Ambassadors with nothing in the drum. It was an awesome punch!

I frequently use a PS III on my 14 x 18 bass drum and I crank it and the batter up kind of tight. (3 inch port)
It projects with a really cool tone that cuts like a knife through the mix.

Last edited:
skins i don't like:
evans emad.
Not sure how many times I'll have to post this before it becomes common knowledge;
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVMediaDetail.Page?ActiveID=2949&MediaId=9036

The EMAD underwent a design change implemented back in May of 2009. All EMADs made starting then have a radius in the damping ring holder as opposed to the original 90 degree angle (which acted as a crease). If you do experience a problem with the ring cracking, it's an old model which hadn't gone through a retail store yet. We will gladly take care of it for you.

As far as EMAD options;
EMAD=Single Ply 10mil.
GMAD=Single Ply 12mil. (greater resonance and durability- similar to the G Plus heads)
EMAD2=Two Ply with 7mil. outer, 10mil. inner
EMADOnyx=Single Ply 10mil black film (offers darker tone than the EMAD)

Let me know if you have any questions!

super kick I = 1 ply
super kick II = 2ply
super kick III = 2 ply with a dot in the middle

SKIII - 1ply with a power dot, actually

For that small of a drum, I'd tend to agree with Eder that
I think they're too small. I had the best response with a 2-ply head like a pinstripe or a G2. Anything more than that and the drum loses any tone it could use for projection, especially if you tune just above wrinkles. I would stay with the 2-ply and avoid any extra dampening. In fact, if you can deal with the lack of durability, a straight Ambassador or G1 I think would do even better.

SKIII - 1ply with a power dot, actually

For that small of a drum, I'd tend to agree with Eder that

Could someone tell me what the sound difference between a coated and clear powerstroke 3? Having an 18", I want some bit of punch, and i don't want to get a coated head and have it not be right when a clear one might have been better? Which would give you more of a punch?

The physics of the 18" bass drum, I think, don't lend themselves to thuddy heads with rings on them. I think they're too small. I had the best response with a 2-ply head like a pinstripe or a G2. Anything more than that and the drum loses any tone it could use for projection, especially if you tune just above wrinkles. I would stay with the 2-ply and avoid any extra dampening. In fact, if you can deal with the lack of durability, a straight Ambassador or G1 I think would do even better.

Check out the Jaco Pastorius album Invitation (live in Japan) with Peter Erskine playing his Yamaha Recording Customs with a 18" bass drum. I recall he said he used straight Ambassadors with nothing in the drum. It was an awesome punch!

This is what I was thinking. On an 18" kick, I wouldn't go with a pre-muffled head.

Try a regular 1 or 2 ply head. I've heard the Modern Vintage on an 18" kick that sounded really sweet.

Right guys thanks for your help here. I'm a bit confused as to whether to go for a skin which is already muffled then I don't have to that myself with blankets and what not (which I don't like doing) or whether because I only have an 18" I should go for one that isn't muffled and will give more a of punch/kick?

Thanks Again

Right guys thanks for your help here. I'm a bit confused as to whether to go for a skin which is already muffled then I don't have to that myself with blankets and what not (which I don't like doing) or whether because I only have an 18" I should go for one that isn't muffled and will give more a of punch/kick?

Thanks Again

Go with the one in the middle the SK2, awesome bass drum head.

I've found a regular clear Ambassador sounds way better than the two-ply heads (Pinstripe, Coated Emperor, Evans Hydraulic) I've tried out on my 18-inch kick. The Pinstripe was by far the worst. I agree, a kick drum that small needs minimal muffling built into the heads.

If your really set on an sk don't go beyond an sk1 on that drum. Also for reso I would not exceed a 1 ply thickness. I'm running sk1 batter ps3 ebony reso on a 22x17 yamaha beech (no muffling) and its just perfect, so on an 18 i think that a regular ambassador type reso head (coated or clear) would allow it to resonate.

Back