Winter Solstice Today

wildbill

Platinum Member
Is it being celebrated by anyone else here today?

winter_solstice_pivato_800c.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap071222.html

Well, I'm celebrating that its over.
While I like winter as a season, I prefer long days, sunshine, and this is the shortest.

Well, I'm celebrating that its over.
While I like winter as a season, I prefer long days, sunshine, and this is the shortest.

The turning point - days get longer from here.

No mate. We usually wait until winter to make anything of it.

Ha ha - Forgot to say Aussies don't count. You guys down there got another half year to go, I guess. So - it's around the summer solstice in Australia?

Not celebrated - just marks the beginning of the really shitty weather :( Lighter days are welcome though.

Funny how long the dwell period is before the weather/temperatures catch up to the light hours.

And Thank God for it.

I was getting so sick it being dark when I get to work, and then being dark when I leave. Hardly seeing the sun doe really wear on you after awhile. My plan for retirement is to definitely spend the bulk of the winter months some place WARM.

The turning point - days get longer from here.

Ha ha - Forgot to say Aussies don't count. You guys down there got another half year to go, I guess. So - it's around the summer solstice in Australia?

No, we're actually six months ahead of you.

This is the 2013 winter solstice, right? It's a distant memory to us. Can barely hear my typing over the roaring of the cicadas.

At least the drop bears sleep a lot during the heat so it's safe to go outside.

Well, safe from drop bears. We still need to watch out for deadly spiders, snakes, crocs, sharks and octopus though.

It's probably the day of the year I look forward to most. 15 minutes' more daylight a week, countdown to spring. When the ground temperature reaches 6 degrees C, the grass will start growing again.

We still need to watch out for deadly spiders, snakes, crocs, sharks and octopus though.

Haga, you've just reminded me of my last holiday in Oz. I texted my brother to report: "There's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bath, there's no water in the loo, and there's only a bleedin' lizard in the bidet."

Haga, you've just reminded me of my last holiday in Oz. I texted my brother to report: "There's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bath, there's no water in the loo, and there's only a bleedin' lizard in the bidet."

How was the Watney's Red Barrel?

HAGA!

Well - since there's mostly Australians here, I guess I should have asked if anyone is celebrating the Summer Solstice.

LOL

Even in this thread you northerners outnumber Aussies 6 to 3. After visiting Europe I'm thrilled to be outnumbered. I will never forget the sight of the hordes pouring into the station at Picadilly circus...

Back