Aquarian Bass Drum Heads

HMNY

Silver Member
I have been having a lot of luck with Aquarian heads recently, after struggling to tune other brands, the Aquarian heads go on and tune up with the minimum of fuss.

So, having 'dressed' my snare and toms in Aquarian finest, I'd like to try an Aquarian head on my bass drum.

What recommendations/experiences could current Aquarian bass drum head users offer?

Thanks

Super Kick 1 with a ported regulator front head, I have been using that combo for years with nothing else in the drum for muffling, tuned at JAW its thuddy and can be tuned up just a but if you want a more boomy sound which is where I tune mine, you can get both heads, plus a double kick pad as a package from music123 for $62 with free shipping.

http://www.music123.com/drums-percussion/aquarian-bass-drumhead-pack

Last edited:
Super Kick 2 without anything inside the bass drum and a ported outer head. Thats on my 22 inch bass. The heads come with kind of a foam ring stuck to the inside so you dont need a felt strip to calm the ringing.

Appreciate the feedback, Thanks.

Am I correct in assuming the SK II will have a more damped, "thumpy", sound as it is a two layer head?

I think it will, but I have never played them side by side too see which one sounds better. Good bass heads though. Does their website say anytthing that may help?

Super Kick 2 without anything inside the bass drum and a ported outer head. Thats on my 22 inch bass. The heads come with kind of a foam ring stuck to the inside so you dont need a felt strip to calm the ringing.

I gotta plus one this, mine has a thud sound to it, loud as hell too.

Thanks for the feedback, I picked up an SK1 at the weekend, and it's now on my 22" bass drum, with the pillow removed. The muffling ring does a great job I have to say. At present the head may be a little too 'thumpy', but I'm happy to working on fine tuning to my liking, as the overall improvement from my old head is massive.

Hi all,

I noticed this thread and I know it's a bit old, but thought I'd share my experience with these.

I just got a second hand Catalina Maple kit and it happened to have an Aquarian Superkick 2 on the bass (22"). I have no experience of Aquarian heads, and my first reaction was 'well, I can always change it'. But I spent a few minutes the other night tuning it and my word, it sounds great! Solid and punchy with a little boom, just how I like it.
It also kind of reminds me of my Masters kick (which has PS3 front and back).

I won't be changing it any time soon! This is a really nice kick head.

i have the superkick 2 on my kit currently, great head plenty of low end and thud!! I have a Sonor SQ2 ordered and its coming with a clear powerstroke 3 on the batter side, so when it comes through to me i think im gonna throw a Superkick 1 onto it, try it out and ill report back here!

ANY of the Super Kick heads will work great.

Personally I use the new SuperKick 10, it's a super thick double ply head.
I use this is because I have a mic build into my kick drum. Having the mic that close to the batter head creates a lot of attack, the SK10 gave me more low end Vs. that bright, clicky sound from a thinner head.

I also use a regulator on the reso side. It's the perfect marriage. Just these two heads, no other muffling.

Back