Vex double bass drum pedals

ugotpwnd

I was looking at these pedals and thought thay might be a good first set. Anyone have azn expierience with these pedals?

welcome to the forum. I was researching cheap double pedals today ie-vex, pulse, pdp, taye, gibraltar. Of the super cheap (100 bucks) ones, the best reviewed was the pdp dp402.

I have a pair. Probably worth $100, I wouldn't say much more. I use them on my e-kit for practice, they get a few hours a month when I can't get at my Tamas.

1. Arrived in disarray, unplayable setup, slave pedal pointed so the pair couldn't even sit flat.

2. No instructions. Fortunately, I have a pair of ICs, so I have a general idea how a double works. Still took a long time to dial in.

3. Some of the cast parts have a flimsy feel. May mean nothing, it's fine so far (light use).

4. The screws loosen badly, the slave and shaft was falling off easily. I fixed it with some blue loctite, but if you're breaking down and moving a lot, look elsewhere.

5. Some people have had a better experience than I, others, worse.

6. You can get used IC's or Elim's or 5000's for $200 regularly.

Agreed with the above entries.

Pedals have too many smaller parts that if not well thought of prior to production can bite the end-user.

I would shoot for a used IC, Flying Dragon, or mid-grade DW...heck, even the Pearls, Sonors, and Gibraltars... for a just a few more bucks, would probably bring more playing enjoyment and longer solidity. All of their reputations for decent ground-gear is better than Vex.

I just went through the research for cheap dbl pdls, I was seriously looking at the VEX. I found it to be nearly 50/50 on the good and the bad experiences. Spend another 75 bucks and get something from the major manufacture's.

I just went through the research for cheap dbl pdls, I was seriously looking at the VEX. I found it to be nearly 50/50 on the good and the bad experiences. Spend another 75 bucks and get something from the major manufacture's.
So what did you get?

I had no problems with mine. Played them for about a year, upgraded to DW 7002. I still use the Vex for practice. They are made cheaper, so they are not going to take the ware and tear of gigging, (set up, tear down, set up...) But for the money, I was very happy with mine. They arrived in good shape, the set screws did need to be monitored, but again, for the money, no complaints.

I have a set of Vex and bought them for the purpose of not spending a lot since I wasn't sure if double bass was for me. Well it's not. If you are interested I will make you a great deal. PM me.

Last edited:
I found this also. I remember reading this in DRUM

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,058
Hi guys (and gals!).

I also have these pedals, and I'm quite happy with them - now. When I took them out of the box, they did look somewhat in disarray. But I put the pedals on my bass, and I noticed that the left (slave) pedal was mushy and very difficult to adjust. I almost sent it back, until I figured out what was happening. I decided after noticing that others were having problems adjusting the pedals to make a video with tips on how to adjust. Now, the video emphasizes the left pedal and addresses a specific problem, but it could help out with tips on adjustments and encourage exploring every aspect of the pedals. Anyway, please take a look, and let me know what you think!

Video: Vex Pro Touring double bass pedal adjustment (slave)

I watched your video, and took my Vex apart as you did to see how they were assembled, and gladly they were perfect. Even at 99.00 one shouldn't have to take them apart when they are new to see if they are assembled correctly. I think the pedals are great and really only have one complaint and that is the bearing where the foot plate attaches to the base plate. It is a bit sloppy and feels a bit strange when playing. But at least it does have base plates on both pedals. Some more expensive pedals have a base plate on the master pedal and a wire frame on the slave pedal. I don't use mine much but still think it was a good buy at the time.

Last edited:
So what did you get?

I got the Pearl P122's, I think they are a good pedal, had em for three months now and they are working just fine.

I watched your video, and took my Vex apart as you did to see how they were assembled, and gladly they were perfect. Even at 99.00 one shouldn't have to take them apart when they are new to see if they are assembled correctly. I think the pedals are great and really only have one complaint and that is the bearing where the foot plate attaches to the base plate. It is a bit sloppy and feels a bit strange when playing. But at least it does have base plates on both pedals. Some more expensive pedals have a base plate on the master pedal and a wire frame on the slave pedal. I don't use mine much but still think it waqs a good buy at the time.

Hi GruntersDad.

I completely agree with you. One should not have to take anything new apart just to get it to work. We should be able to either call the manufacturer, or just return them. I just happened to be curious enough to take it apart, and I ended up learning something new! So all was not lost.

We'll see what pedals I try next!

Well, it's been a while since this thread's been updated, so here goes!

I've since posted a follow-up to the aforementioned article/instructional video, which somewhat supersedes the previous one:

Vex Pro Touring Double Bass Pedal - Round Two

I published the article mainly for the benefit of those who either are thinking of purchasing the Vex pedal, or have already bought it and want advice on configuring them. The videos can also serve as a general guide for other pedals as well.

However, I've since moved on from these pedals and now have the Off-Set double bass pedal, which place both pedals on either side of the bass drum, with the beaters squarely in the center. You'll have to read the review to know what I mean:

Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal

Quite different from the typical double pedals out there. I think you'll find the information most intriguing, with pictures and illustrations. Let us know what you think!

I've got myself one of these. I ONLY have the right pedal and I am missing the left pedal. I can't find it anywhere. The pedal is pretty nice, but I just can't stand how weak my leg is and how I can't do the Heel-Toe technique or the Slide technique with it very well if at all. I'm probably going to upgrade soon and work on my legs.

I'm going to be selling that pedal in the near future on eBay. If any of you are interested, feel free to reply to this thread and tell me if you are, or email me at:

[email protected]

And maybe we can work something out.
Thanks.

Back