help finding a durable snare head?

Ainulindale

Gold Member
heys guys, back begging for help again ;-)

i'm looking for some opinions on a snare head that will hold up under a heavy hitter, from Remo or Evans - either or, does'nt matter, i'm still in the experimental stage with heads so any advice or ideas are welcome!

The PC reverse dot is a nice open sounding head. For a dryer sound the genera dry HD is a good bet. Also the ST and ST dry are a couple to look at.

The Genera HD, ST, and ST dry are 2 ply heads and will last for a very long time. I used these heads quite a bit and have had very good results with them.

HTH

the emporer x is a very thick head but some say its only good on metal snare drums but i like it on my wood one but my is a crap cb so it may not be a good judge

Um, WITHOUT A DOUBT:

The Aquarian Hi-Energy.

Not only does it sound AMAZING, but it can PACK a PUNCH!

I can be super gentle with this thing, or slam the CRAP out of it.

Um, WITHOUT A DOUBT:

The Aquarian Hi-Energy.

Not only does it sound AMAZING, but it can PACK a PUNCH!

I can be super gentle with this thing, or slam the CRAP out of it.

Yep, Or the Emperor X. The only snare head i've ever broken was an ambassador with a black dot.

thanks for the ideas guys! since i'm sporting Evans right now, i will probably try the PCRD, i can't find a shop that'll stock Aquarians normally, and i worry about trying a 2 ply head - i have G2's on my toms and they really give them a warm, woody sound and i like a dry, sharp crack from my snare - the Emporer X is two 10mil layers with the dot is'nt it? if so, could i still get the bright sound i'm looking for?

thanks again guys!

A little late, but I've been testing out the Remo Black "X"...and while I've only had it on for a couple (three) weeks...I'm amazed about how it's held up. The problem I'm having, and thus why I know it hasn't worn practically at all...is the enormous overtones (ringing) that I can't kill. The "X" has a reverse dot and the bottom of the inside of the head is glossy and I believe the source of the ridiculous ring. Tight, loose, middle-range...just rings. Even with moongel, duct tape, a towel...

BUT...even after being tightened to the last thread of the lugs...beaten for a couple weeks, the head has retained that "new" bass note when struck with a finger in the center dot, when dangled by a finger.

Durable???...surprisingly for Remo, this is it.

I wonder how the Evans Onyx compares?

A little late, but I've been testing out the Remo Black "X"...and while I've only had it on for a couple (three) weeks...I'm amazed about how it's held up. The problem I'm having, and thus why I know it hasn't worn practically at all...is the enormous overtones (ringing) that I can't kill. The "X" has a reverse dot and the bottom of the inside of the head is glossy and I believe the source of the ridiculous ring. Tight, loose, middle-range...just rings. Even with moongel, duct tape, a towel...

BUT...even after being tightened to the last thread of the lugs...beaten for a couple weeks, the head has retained that "new" bass note when struck with a finger in the center dot, when dangled by a finger.

Durable???...surprisingly for Remo, this is it.

I wonder how the Evans Onyx compares?

I tried an Evans Onyx-equipped kit at Guitar Center yesterday, and I really liked the sound, especially the snare. It had a punchy, big, crack to it.

hey guys thanks for the help - picked up a coated Power Center Reverse Dot - and i am very impressed with the initial sound! it's every bit as sensitive as the G1, so just hoping it holds up a little better...

good drumming gentlemen!

hey guys thanks for the help - picked up a coated Power Center Reverse Dot - and i am very impressed with the initial sound! it's every bit as sensitive as the G1, so just hoping it holds up a little better...

good drumming gentlemen!

Here is another suggestion for the future, the Evans EC1 Reverse Dot. It is a single ply 14mil head with a reverse center dot and the EC (edge control) ring.

Back