Louie Bellson

fonz06969

i haven't seen a thread on him and i cant believe it, this guy revolutionized drumming. he was the first to ever have a double bass drum.he also had a HUGE kit for jazz drumming i saw an 11 peace kit and thats the biggest i've seen for jazz drumming. so, i was just wondering what people thought of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqZhbky9CY

Louie is one of the "last of the mohicans" when it comes to old school jazz drummers. He doesn't get mentioned enough. He's still the man.

Louie is one of the "last of the mohicans" when it comes to old school jazz drummers. He doesn't get mentioned enough. He's still the man.

He is definately a national treasure. I was fortunate enough to have a quick conversation with him during a clinic 16 years ago.

Louie Bellson and Roy Burns were on a clinic tour together and that was my first clinic. I was nine years old. Louie blew my mind. I[ve since been fortunate enough to have dinner with him and relay my thanks to himn personally. He is Webster's definition of "class". That goes for Mr. Burns as well!!! Thanks for bringing this up!

Wow! No talk of this man in 14 years! I saw him perform many times when I was between 10 and 20 years old. He was a very nice person. He really enjoyed teaching drums to people. I saw a Remo Endorser Clinic that featured 10 drummers one day. This was in 1988 or 89 in Los Angeles. Louie was there along with Greg Bissonett, (who was really nice when I asked him about his DLR kit, which he had with him that day) Rickey Lawson, Myron Grombacher (who was an ass to everyone that day) and a few more that I can't remember.

Anyways, there's a set of Louie's Brass Plated Roto Toms for sale right now for $15K! Why was he one of the few to play Roto toms, especially roto toms bigger than the standard 6/8/10? The one for sale are 14/16 btw.

Sorry. I'm new. :geek:
I guess I just don't understand the "Drummers" section of this forum.
Like, there's a dedicated Bellson thread, but there's also several?
Yeah, as with pretty much any search, it can get a bit confusing. Like, virtually every big-name drummer has their own thread, often started early(ish) this century, sometimes with tons of replies, sometimes (as here) with not so much. But then other people might later start another thread related to that drummer but in a more targeted discussion area: the way they hold their sticks, or changed their cymbals, or a certain project, or whatever.

So up in the top right, you can search in a general way, or click the "Search titles only" box, and that helps narrow things down.

Back