Ringo Starr

I don't see how he made the top 15 list.

Someone asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. Lennon said that he wasn't even the best drummer in the band! :)

Someone asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. Lennon said that he wasn't even the best drummer in the band! :)

If John Lennon would have really meant that, he would have kicked Ringo Starr already ages a go out of the band. Lennon could have played with every single drummer he wanted, yet he chose for Ringo Starr, to take care of the grooves on his and Pauls art. Ringo will always stay one of my favourites

If John Lennon would have really meant that, he would have kicked Ringo Starr already ages a go out of the band.

Pretty much. What's so often forgotten when that quote is thrown around, is just what a cheeky sense of humour John Lennon had. How a joke that was so obviously designed to take the piss out of a mate, gets mistaken for being serious or malicious is completely beyond me. Talk about missing the blatantly obvious. Clearly these guys don't ever tease their friends.

Take a look someday at how many pro drummers love Ringo's playing.

John Lennon could be cruel in his sense of humor at times,and he has stated publicly in interviews that he was just kidding.

Do you really think that if he wasn't cutting it,they would have kept him around?

Noy Likely.

Steve B

People seem to forget this about Ringo.

It's not the hands, it's the brain. Seriously.

Think of all the drummers you know. Think of all the songs you've written parts for in bands.

How many times would you have even though of playing something like the part in 'In My Life'? It's nothing short of genius. Sure, technically there are hundreds of players out there, if not thousands that can play 'better' with better technique but I seriously doubt there are many out there that would have even considered playing the parts he played. His note selection was just superb and a huge inspiration to me when I'm trying to write parts to my band.

'What would Ringo do?' should be permanently branded into my bass drum when I'm writing parts.

Agreed. Ringo was a drummer with mediocre skills who became the most influential drummer ever because he was in the most popular band ever. So the most influential drummer ever has mediocre skills. Of course, just in my opinion, which happens to be shared by virtually everyone on the planet who does not post on this board. For drummers, though, it is heresy to believe Ringo is anything but an Earthy manifestation of God, whose adulation is mandatory. I disagree.

For proof of the general public's concept of Ringo, Google "the Ringo Starr of."

Having said that, Ringo is a great example of someone who has made incredibly meaningful contributions to music and culture of a half-century and is generally known as a good person and hasn't destroyed himself or others. So I respect him a lot for that. But I think a cabbage could play drums with more passion and flair. I appreciate that others will hold very different opinions and I respect their rights to hold them, even as they might ban me from the board for speaking mine.

Agreed. Ringo was a drummer with mediocre skills

Which just goes to show that taste and compositional skills are more important than chops when it comes to artistry. See Duncan's post. Surely you're not going to say that he's a groupthink guy lol

So the most influential drummer ever has mediocre skills. Of course, just in my opinion, which happens to be shared by virtually everyone on the planet who does not post on this board.

Should we consider media cliches and non musicians to be the final arbiter of a drummer's quality? How many great drummers are not on the public's radar? Nearly all.

For drummers, though, it is heresy to believe Ringo is anything but an Earthy manifestation of God, whose adulation is mandatory.

StrawMan150.jpg

I think a cabbage could play drums with more passion and flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-spAA9aLN0

I respect their rights to hold them, even as they might ban me from the board for speaking mine.

brian.jpg

Does one have to be great at their craft to be an influence? Ringo even with "mediocre" skills got a lot of young people to play the drums. Most of them may be better than he, but the point is he was an influence. My dad got me into fishing and sports by exposure only. The most he ever did in sports was be a manager of his College hockey team. I am a far better fisherman than he could have ever dreamed of being, but he was the major influence in getting me into those activities. Yes Ringo was the biggest influence on a ton of drummers even if he wasn't the best man behind the kit.

Ringo Starr made it look and sound easy because he was/is so great.

"Tell Me Why" intro and zillions of other examples of his efficient and tasteful drumming are everywhere.

So I respect him a lot for that. But I think a cabbage could play drums with more passion and flair.

Um. no, not even close. I'm guessing you don't understand the music of The Beatles. Their music didn't require drum solos and acrobatics so Ringo, of course, didn't oblige. This wasn't Yes or Rush we're talking about. He played for the music. That's such a general concept of Drumming 101 I'm dumbfounded people still don't get it. And I'm a novice drummer. But I understand music. They're are many drummer wizards out there who could blow my ass out of the water, but they don't understand music.

I don't understand how 42 years after the band's breakup people still don't get Ringo.

Does one have to be great at their craft to be an influence? Ringo even with "mediocre" skills got a lot of young people to play the drums. Most of them may be better than he, but the point is he was an influence. My dad got me into fishing and sports by exposure only. The most he ever did in sports was be a manager of his College hockey team. I am a far better fisherman than he could have ever dreamed of being, but he was the major influence in getting me into those activities. Yes Ringo was the biggest influence on a ton of drummers even if he wasn't the best man behind the kit.

No, one doesn't have to be great at the craft to be an influence; as I said, Ringo was the most influential drummer ever. Sometimes, all it takes is dedication, longevity, a desire to make people happy with music, being in the right place at the right time,, and having just the necessary skills to get the job done. Notice how many of the greatest songwriters aren't very talented musicians - they know enough to create remarkable music without high technical skills.

On 7/11/05 our own Bernhard posted on a thread about why he was a big Ringo fan.

Lots of pro drummers LOVE the way he plays,and are huge fans.The list is long ,and the players on it are monster drummers.

Greg Bissonette,Steve Gadd,Vinny C,Neil Peart,Lenny White just to name a few who posess skills beyond most players.

I think some of you shlould give it a read.His skills are much better than Mediocre.He has played as a studio drummer on plenty of other artists albums,including Peter Frampton and John Lennons first solo album.

That's why when people bring up the Lennon remark about not even being the best drummer in the Beatles I really kind of laugh at the "argument from ignorance"

That's an actual term used in forensic debate,and not an insult,before somebodys wheels come off their wagon..

Steve B

Last edited:
Ringo came from that era in music when even casual fans, not just other musicians knew the name of the guys in the band. Everyone then knew Ringo, Moon, Bonham. If i mention these names to my 70 year old mother she knows who they are. Now, I dont know the names of any of the drummers playing in popular bands these days. He was more than just a drummer to the Beatles. He was a persona that fit perfectly in all aspects of that band.Drumming, attitude, style, hair, all of it.

Agreed. Ringo was a drummer with mediocre skills...

Well, at least you are very consistant about your opinion on the most influential drummer on the planet, but, in all honesty DMC, don't you think it is time to drop your mask... :)

Attachments

• Drop the mask.jpg
    Drop the mask.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 757
Well, at least you are very consistant about your opinion on the most influential drummer on the planet, but, in all honesty DMC, don't you think it is time to drop your mask... :)

Well played, Henri, well played :)

Back