Travis Barker

stagecustom said:
Honestly , I also wasnt all that impressed with the solo, but try doing that in front of 20,000 people. Also if you were in a pop punk band like Blink , and knew that most of your fans were not as musically intelligent as other audiences of other types of genres, wouldnt you just try to impress the crowd by going real fast, and crazy. He is just trying to please the crowd, just going with the flow, you know what I mean. But yes i do agree on the thing about his cymbals being to high up, that must be uncomfortable. Oh well just think about playing in front of 20,000 people, untill you have and pulled a better job then Travis ... then you can talk.

I think so too in a way, he had to please the crowd which was musically not that intelligent I guess, cause I also thought the solo was very simple , at least the grooves, some other stuff was better, but all in all ,not a very good and creative solo, he also did to many long breaks I think.

NUTHA JASON said:
i really don't get why folks dislike him so much. something about a tv show? i haven't seen anything. he is quite fast and is more of an entertainer than a technical drummer but there seems to be a lot of bashing here. he's good.

j

Nutha, I can't speak for everyone, but the dislike comes from him being famous, not for his skills. I would like to disagree with a previous post and say that a lot of us CAN play that, but we choose not to, because it wasn't very good. I don't think fast automatically equals good, and that wasn't even really fast.

So he's good at crowd pleasing (mohawk, cool drums, cool tatoos) but he evidently isn't good at impressing other drummers.

I personally think his show is great and I think he's a pretty cool dude. I also like Blink-182, just not for the drumming. It has its place, but it doesn't have a place along the likes of Steve Gadd, Dennis Chamber et. al.

Travis is todays Tommy Lee, hes in the spot light, on TV all the time, but doesn't have that legendary drummer sound. Yes Tommy Lee and Travis have talent, but no uinique style, they just play fast.

http://ocdrum.com/barker/

was just checking out OCDP's website and they had a travis barker solo video. for anyone who is interested.

personally, i thought most of it was pretty simple, but he had some pretty cool fills now and then. he rocks out hardcore when he drums. he better be careful or his head will go through his tom.

What a waste of a solo. Travis' new solo fue; or whatever sucks so much. I would have to be the worst solo i have ever seen, he is just playin a few simple rock beats and then there is like thousands of 14 year old girls screamin in the background. How did somebody with such little talent get such a good reputation? Can somebody please tell me!!!!!

bonzo_is_the_greatest said:
What a waste of a solo. Travis' new solo fue; or whatever sucks so much. I would have to be the worst solo i have ever seen, he is just playin a few simple rock beats and then there is like thousands of 14 year old girls screamin in the background. How did somebody with such little talent get such a good reputation? Can somebody please tell me!!!!!

dude, just because he played a simple solo doesn't mean he has "LITTLE TALENT" as you put it. i've seen and heard him play some really good stuff live. just because he wanted to rock out to some simple beats and have a good time doesn't mean he can't do any better.

i'm not one of those that thinks he is the greatest drummer or that he is even up to par with some of my favorite drummers, but i give credit when it is due. he is a good drummer. so you should calm down and rethink things before you start calling people "talentless".

bonzo_is_the_greatest said:

Ha ha. I'd like to see you play like that in front of all of those people.
Those diss him man. He's a great drummer. He never was the best and never will be, and yes he is overrated, but don't hate him because his "popular" or "famous." You make it seem like it's his fault.

jamsjr44 said:
I know I might catch flak for this but, Travis Barker is now where even close to being in the top 100 rock drummers of all time.

The solo was very basic and boring.
umm yea actually i've already looked that up he #80 on the top 100 list. neil peart is number 1. but he is ranked. i do like travis a lot but i do not think he is the best. love him or hate him you have to give him credit, he has made blink 182 a lot better, he's been taking lessons since he was 4 and some of those lessons were jazz lessons. his marching drum abilities are really good as well, i have seen a clip of that. i have seen a lot of solo's of him, some are good, some are ok, some are crap. but i can't stand to read of how people say that he stinks, hes not a top 100 drummer, and all that crap. IMO and i could care less of what others think, it's people like him that inspire young people to start drumming. i think he is good but not nearly the best, he is fast, but not the fastest. i like the guy but im not one of those people who says he is God and all that stuff.

Dill X said:
Ha ha. I'd like to see you play like that in front of all of those people.
Those diss him man. He's a great drummer. He never was the best and never will be, and yes he is overrated, but don't hate him because his "popular" or "famous." You make it seem like it's his fault.

i agree man, and i heard some guy on this thread say something like he needs to take solo lessons and stuff with all his money or whatever, the guy learned 20 songs in 2 hours when he first came to blink. all these people who flame travis, could you all learn 20 songs in 2 hours and then play it with no screw ups before a show?

Not to come off as pompous. But having played punk music in a somewhat reminicient setting to the style of Blink 182 and that genre for many years. I don't feel it would be that hard to learn to play 20 songs in 2 hours that sound almost exactly the same and most have the same format of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, half time breakdown and chorus. Just a thought.

Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

beat1212 said:
if you ask me i think its just a marketing scam. they aren too good at all adn u ahve a bad balacne point for the stick. plus travis barker doestn even use them. zildjian thought that since his normal sticsk are popular these will be too. they are nto great. dont buy them.

Right on man i bought a pair with out checking them out at the store got home and used them and thought they were junk!!! DO NOT BUY HORRIBLE STICKS!!!

Peace- John

Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

i just got a pair of his regular sticks and i liek them a lot... whats do you guys think about em?

Although learning 20 songs in two hours may be kinda simple, it might be more difficult for him, knowing that every song would have a different beat for the verses/choruses, i mean, he's got a sound that's different from just about any other drummer out there, he doesnt JUST play punk, he was in metal bands before, regae, acoustic, all kinds of stuff. I mean just listen to like the transplants (im not saying the group is great or anything belive me) but i mean, the variation in the beats he plays for those songs, and for blink, or boxcar racer, boxcar racer, he has some of the phatest beats and fills on those tracks.

Travis Barker page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up with Transplants they have this hip hop sound now I mean Rob is a cool guy I like his rapping but then they have this whole rapping crue and there bobbin' there heads and stuff. And there's many drummers like Travis out there. There's nothing really unique about Travis's playing.....

illbefamous said:
mr. bernhard, what's your output on travis?

Well, coming in and in the first post starting a Travis thread seems a bit pathetic.... didn't you make a SEARCH first?
--

I don't get it: 20 songs in two hours?? why this, doesn't sound serious. And for the phat Sound: has nothing to do with his playing - ask the ingenieers....

Just saw for the first time "Meet the Barkers" yesterday - and I was really dissapointed. Travis was so stoned, he even didn't recognise his own son.

Bernhard

puts Travis and Tommy in the same barrel pretty quick. But, I wouldn't call alot of famous drummers Saints by any means.

i locked the last travis thread. and i'll lock this one too if it gets out of hand. all that needs to be said against the tatooed one was said on the last thread. so search and read there before you post here. if it comes to bashing again this thread will be stopped. perhaps only people who appreciate something about the man should post here. all the bashers have had more than their fair say in the old thread.

as for me, my band covers 'all the small things' and it gets one of the best resopnses from the audience. its not hard to play and is actually quite fun. nuff said.

i'll watch this thread with interest.
j

Back