Remo!!!!!!

M

Mystic

So I just ordered my set of ambassador reso heads for 6 toms and a diplomat reso for my snare and a PS4 for my 8" and 18" I'll tell you how they all sound on a pearl export made with poplar shells and PS3s on all of the other heads when I get them on, but 1 thing I am kind of nervous about, I haven't really experienced 2 ply heads from Remo, but I am having second thoughts now because I am reading other threads about their plies not staying together very well, so can someone clarify exactly why the plies don't stay together well?

I can't say I've ever heard of ply separation between the heads. The plies are free floating anyway, so they are not sealed together to begin with. (The exception is Pinstripes which are sealed on the edges). The problem with Remo is the occasional defective head that will not tune right, or wears out too fast. I have not had this problem with Evans heads, but I still prefer the feel and sound of Remo, so I might switch back (if mine ever wear out that is). Did you say a PS4 on a 8" tom?!! That's a two ply, muffled head on an 8" drum!!! That thing won't have any sound at all. I could see this maybe on an 18" which will make it sound like a muffled bass drum, but not on anything that small.

Well I had the money and figured, what the hell I might like it, cause I want the really focused tribal sound, like something you would hear in a jungle lol, but ya I read an old thread I'll try and find it and post it tomorrow, but someone said the plies start separating, so I hope that isn't true and I read it after I ordered so I hope I'm not screwed lol. Back to the 8" keep in mind its poplar, so it needs the extra depth and another thing that may be bad is that I through a moon gel on it 1 time with the stock single ply head and it sounded pure dead, so hopefully it wont sound like that, I don't think it will, but ya any other comments on this situation?

Don't worry about Remo. I've had bad heads from both Evans and Remo but its rare. Been an Evans user for awhile now but recently found myself gravitating back to coated ambassadors for my snares. I am happy with my clear g2s but the coated g1 just doesn't cut it for me for the snare. The last 2 ambassadors have sounded great and I have always liked the PS3 on the kick.

Remo, make great heads...however if it's two ply you want you will need Emperor heads.
They are free floating ply's that are not stuck together until the ring.

Ambassadors are single ply heads.

The PS4's are two ply, but they should be fine, I have never heard of them coming apart before.

I have never had a problem with the plys coming apart, however I have recently found the coating on coated heads comes off rather faster than I would like!

Hmm ok well hopefully they all work out they should be here by the end of the week, I'll reskin and get back to you guys on it.

So I just ordered my set of ambassador reso heads for 6 toms and a diplomat reso for my snare and a PS4 for my 8" and 18" I'll tell you how they all sound on a pearl export made with poplar shells and PS3s on all of the other heads when I get them on, but 1 thing I am kind of nervous about, I haven't really experienced 2 ply heads from Remo, but I am having second thoughts now because I am reading other threads about their plies not staying together very well, so can someone clarify exactly why the plies don't stay together well?

Don't sweat it......just see what you get.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Whats with this Aquarian thread with all of these bashers against Remo? Are they really as bad as they say or are they just narrow minded?

Whats with this Aquarian thread with all of these bashers against Remo? Are they really as bad as they say or are they just narrow minded?

I don't think anyone is bashing anything. We are speaking from experiances with certain Remo heads.

I don't think anyone is bashing anything. We are speaking from experiances with certain Remo heads.

You guys basically told me how bad Remo was in a lot of different ways so I am just curious if anyone else here thinks the same. BTW you spelled experience wrong.

You guys basically told me how bad Remo was in a lot of different ways so I am just curious if anyone else here thinks the same. BTW you spelled experience wrong.

Try for yourself and see. You claim they are great so what's with the questions? Try them and find out for yourself. Try other brands too. To not do so would be narrow minded. I've tried all the rest and for now I have settled on what I think is the best. There isn't anything wrong with your choice. You asked. I said what I felt as well as some others have. I don't use coated heads so I can'y say their coating is good or bad. My problem is with their 2 ply heads such as the Pinstripes (clear and ebony) and the Emperors. I have had no troubles with single ply heads from Remo. Nobody likes to waste money but sometimes it's better just better to buy and try instead of going on other peoples thoughts when it comes to heads. The last time I got an order from Remo, the bass drum head (Ebony Pinstripe) wasn't properly glued into the hoop which distorted the 2 plies. The head was rippled badly. It was useless. I got my money back and that was when I gave up and started using other brands. That's how I got into Aquarian. If you want an opinion from a pro, PM Burmuda. Let me know if you find any spelling errors this time.

Try for yourself and see. You claim they are great so what's with the questions? Try them and find out for yourself. Try other brands too. To not do so would be narrow minded. I've tried all the rest and for now I have settled on what I think is the best. There isn't anything wrong with your choice. You asked. I said what I felt as well as some others have. I don't use coated heads so I can'y say their coating is good or bad. My problem is with their 2 ply heads such as the Pinstripes (clear and ebony) and the Emperors. I have had no troubles with single ply heads from Remo. Nobody likes to waste money but sometimes it's better just better to buy and try instead of going on other peoples thoughts when it comes to heads. The last time I got an order from Remo, the bass drum head (Ebony Pinstripe) wasn't properly glued into the hoop which distorted the 2 plies. The head was rippled badly. It was useless. I got my money back and that was when I gave up and started using other brands. That's how I got into Aquarian. If you want an opinion from a pro, PM Burmuda. Let me know if you find any spelling errors this time.

Well I'm sorry it's just bugging me that I put a huge order in for mass remo heads and now I see that they are known to be so shitty, even though I haven't had a problem it is just awkward to me that I put this huge order in and now everyone says they are falling apart and have bad tone I don't know, I ordered 9 heads, and I am nervous now that they will be bad and I wasted $100.

Well I'm sorry it's just bugging me that I put a huge order in for mass remo heads and now I see that they are known to be so shitty, even though I haven't had a problem it is just awkward to me that I put this huge order in and now everyone says they are falling apart and have bad tone I don't know, I ordered 9 heads, and I am nervous now that they will be bad and I wasted $100.

Don't sweat it. If you have any serious problems, just return them. It's a pain but.. Oh! I recently put Remo CS Blackdot on one of my snares. It's a great head. Always has been. Again, I only have issues with the Pinstipes and Emperors.

I was a Pinstripe user for a long time, and then about 8 years ago, I went with Aquarian's, and I have been really happy with them.

Like Wolfmoon said, try other brands and go with what makes you happy :)

i'm using REMO's UX's and im looking to change them, any suggestions? i'm thinking about Evans but i'm not 100% sure, thanks for any feedback!! :D

Depends on what type of sound your after. What kind of music do you play? What kind of drums do you have?

So what are you concerned about, no one said they were lousy heads, at least in the posts I read here. Few comments about a I'm always amused at people who go out and buy something then come asking opinions, kind of a backwards way to do things.

I played remo for 24 years and used the 2 ply emperors with no seperation issues, I've honestly never heard or read anything to say there was one. Only issue I had was with coated ambassadors, the coating just wasn't lasting. When it came to the clear heads I had no issues. I switched to evans because of some good reviews I read about them and wanted to see what they would do for the sound of my kit. Both companies make good heads and both companies will have a defective one here or there. It's a man made product and nothing is perfect.

You said yourself you've never had a problem yet are freaking out over the experiences a few others have had. I'd go with my personal experiences first ;-)

Depends on what type of sound your after. What kind of music do you play? What kind of drums do you have?

I usually play heavy stuff, metal mostly but my band is mostly centered around soft rock and punk. and my kit is a 7 piece CB drum kit.

Ok, Well from Evans you have several choices.

For an open sound on the toms, try G2's on the tops and G1's on the bottoms. They come clear or coated. Coated will have a more round sound and less ring than clear.

If you like a more muffled or controlled sound, Try EC 2's. They also come in clear or a frosted coating which I like. On my sons drums they sound big and full with a lot of sustain.

For a dead 70's or early 80's sound, go with the Hydraulics. They are 2 ply heads with a thin layer of oil between the plies.

On the snare, their ST heads are great. The EC snare is also a good one as well as the Power center Reverse Dot.

For the bass, a lot of people like the EMAD. I never tried it but I once tried the EQ 2 and it was a cool head.

Lots to choose from. Confused yet :)

As always, check here http://www.evansdrumheads.com/ and take a long look at the heads and read the discriptions for each one.

Ok, Well from Evans you have several choices.

For an open sound on the toms, try G2's on the tops and G1's on the bottoms. They come clear or coated. Coated will have a more round sound and less ring than clear.

If you like a more muffled or controlled sound, Try EC 2's. They also come in clear or a frosted coating which I like. On my sons drums they sound big and full with a lot of sustain.

For a dead 70's or early 80's sound, go with the Hydraulics. They are 2 ply heads with a thin layer of oil between the plies.

On the snare, their ST heads are great. The EC snare is also a good one as well as the Power center Reverse Dot.

For the bass, a lot of people like the EMAD. I never tried it but I once tried the EQ 2 and it was a cool head.

Lots to choose from. Confused yet :)

As always, check here http://www.evansdrumheads.com/ and take a long look at the heads and read the discriptions for each one.

Thanks alot! :D think I get what ya mean, :)

Back