Waxing Drum Heads???

Artemis

Has anyone ever heard of waxing drum heads? I heard a rumor that people sometimes put wax on the drum heads to promote durability or longevity. I am not sure if this is true or not, or if its even a good idea, but thats why im asking. what do you think?

Out of curiosity, is there anything you can put on a drum head to improve performance?

Drummers often wax the edges, which is reputed to improve the sound and make tuning easier. But most modern edges are treated already, so waxing them may not make a difference. Older edges may benefit, and a favorite wax is Howards Feed N Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner, available at any hardware store or home center.

Bermuda

Only wax your heads if you plan on playing in the rain - the water beads up and runs right off. Regular turtle wax does just fine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The above response was posted strictly for the purpose of humor. It is not intended for actual drumhead application.

Thank you.

We now return you to you regularly scheduled thread.

Has anyone ever heard of waxing drum heads? I heard a rumor that people sometimes put wax on the drum heads to promote durability or longevity. I am not sure if this is true or not, or if its even a good idea, but thats why im asking. what do you think?

Out of curiosity, is there anything you can put on a drum head to improve performance?

Waxing the heads proves to be waning, sticks will transfer the wax to cymbals. Wax isn't meant to take a beating.

The best thing I've found to rejuvenate older, dried-out heads is AMROUR ALL type products, with the best IMO being TURTLE WAX F21 SUPER PROTECTANT. Also helps with longevity.

Spray it on the head's front and back, lets soak in (longer the better, like over night), then wipe. Spray on/quick wipes work wonders too.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    22 KB · Views: 296
Back