Can a snare's bottom head be used as a batter head?

SpikeScorcher

Yesterday I switched an old bottom snare head with the top coated head to see what it'd sound like. My dad, who used to play drums, said I'd throw a stick through it. Should I replace the coated head back onto the drum, or can the bottom head withstand my playing?

A snare bottom is really thin. 3 mils.
Single ply batter heads are more than twice as thick, 7 to 10 mils.
If it is a 3 mil thick snare bottom it will not last long as a batter head. It will dent.
It is possible that it is a 5 mil snare bottom. In that case it will last for a while as a batter head but in a few weeks it will dent.

Last edited:
It could also be that at some point in time, your snare drums resonant head was changed for a thicker resonant head that is normally used as a resonant head on toms, such as a 7.5 or 10 mil head. A 3 mil head which is pretty much the standard for snare side heads will not take very much battering before either denting it or putting a stick through it.

Dennis

Other than experimenting, what is the point? Do you expect it to sound better that way?

Peace and goodwill.

I often flip my snare around for some songs, so that I play on the snare wire side.
When I do so, I play very softly, all harder hits I play with a rimshot (soft one though).
I've never noticed the head taking any damage. I currently have a Remo renaissance snare side head (I think?), but I've played like this with all the snare side heads I've used - hazy 300, regular clear ambassador etc.etc.

So: it won't break if you're gentle. That's how it is with everything :)

Use Brushes and play very soft you might get a couple hours of play time out of it

At best it's an effect. In fact I saw a Greg Bissonette DVD with him playing the bottom snare head. It was a neat 'effect'
But it was just to get a certain effect , similar to an electronic Drum n Bass sound. He also didn't play it even close to the way he played the batter heads in terms of how hard he hit it.

Anything goes in the area of creativity - but being practical - not a good idea in this case.

Jim

To be specific, I have four drum heads in total. The DDrum head that came with the snare, out of commission because it sucked, the bottom head which also came with it that I'm using as the batter currently, sounds great IMO, no ringing at all and I didn't have to muffle it, a black suede... Remo Emperor, I think? I dunno, using that as the bottom head, and a coated Remo Ambassador. I think that so far the old bottom head is holding up well, I smacked the stuffing outta it today and yesterday, and it just held up.

To be specific, I have four drum heads in total. The DDrum head that came with the snare, out of commission because it sucked, the bottom head which also came with it that I'm using as the batter currently, sounds great IMO, no ringing at all and I didn't have to muffle it, a black suede... Remo Emperor, I think? I dunno, using that as the bottom head, and a coated Remo Ambassador. I think that so far the old bottom head is holding up well, I smacked the stuffing outta it today and yesterday, and it just held up.

I'm unclear whether you're asking for advice in the matter (using a head that is designed to be snare side only) like your original post or just looking for comments on what you are going to do regardless.

If it works for you - then great.

Several folks have answered including myself that it's not the best idea for most practical applications.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jim

Back