Ronnie James Dio R.I.P.

Biscuit

I realize this is a drum forum but i thought some of you might find this interesting.

Ronnie James Dio lost his battle with stomach cancer this morning. This guy is a rock icon and a ledgend for shure. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. R.I.P

Re: Ronnie Dio dead.

Man, that sucks. I've been a fan of of his music for awhile, especially his work with Rainbow & Black Sabbath. He had a huge catalog of music, starting in the 1950's.

R.I.P. DIO

This hasn't been a good year for rockstars.

Very sad. He had a host of summer gigs planned and was saying everything was okay with his treatment. Not only the man known for starting the metal horns, one of the great singers in rock history. RIP.

A true metal legend!

Our condolences to his family and to his wife Wendy.
Rest in peace Ronnie.

I remember the first Rainbow album I bought (Rising) and thought "who IS this guy??? He could melt steel with that voice!".

One of my favorites.

Seems to be some conflicting info out there Ian......

According to this news report just put over at the BBC he passed away Sunday morning according to his wife who is quoted in the article making direct reference to his long battle being over:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8685851.stm

R.I.P.

Stan, thank you - mate.....I am in deadly silence.

The man who sung Lady Evil, Neon Knights, Long Live Rock and Roll, Kill The King, Stargazer, Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers and so on.......has gone.

Rock In Peace / Long Live Ronnie Dio.

Ian

Seems to be some conflicting info out there Ian......

According to this news report just put over at the BBC he passed away Sunday morning according to his wife who is quoted in the article making direct reference to his long battle being over:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8685851.stm

R.I.P.

Rock lost it's roll................for today. RIP, RJD.

God Bless your family.

I saw him singing with Rainbow from the front row around the time of their first album. They had that giant rainbow thing over the stage. Not my style these days but he's a highly accomplished singer - good tone, good pitching, exceptionally powerful voice (especially for such a little guy and a great deal of control).

My ears were ringing for a long time after that gig!

RIP RJD

RIP Ronnie. I bought your first Rainbow album. Pretty exciting stuff back then. Well done.

GJS

I'm 14 and started listening to rock and metal when I was 12 and over those two years I've come to love Dio both as a musician and as a person. R.I.P Dio. You will be greatly missed.

Short dude, could really sing the stuff that made him a icon..RIP...........

Wow, just waking up to this, this morning. That is indeed a shock. Dio was numero uno of his type & genre. Stargazer is one of my rock vocal moments of all time. I saw dio on the same Rainbow tour as you Polly. One of my very early rock concert experiences. Never to be forgotten.

I'm going to mail our bass player with this news right now. He's a massive Dio fan. We're due to practice tonight, & I really believe our bass player won't make it. He'll be devastated.

Ronnie, you certainly rocked my world. RIP.

Wow, just waking up to this, this morning. That is indeed a shock. Dio was numero uno of his type & genre. Stargazer is one of my rock vocal moments of all time. I saw dio on the same Rainbow tour as you Polly. One of my very early rock concert experiences. Never to be forgotten.

I'm going to mail our bass player with this news right now. He's a massive Dio fan. We're due to practice tonight, & I really believe our bass player won't make it. He'll be devastated.

Ronnie, you certainly rocked my world. RIP.

My main memories from the front row. This tiny guy up front with huge hair and a huge voice. Ritchie regularly shaking his right right hand - presumably to loosen it up before/after shredding - and Cozy's solo over the 1812 Overture, which of course was my main memory of the gig :)

A friend had given me stuff to put in my ears. I was sitting in front of the RHS of the stage and partway through I thought I'd take out the plug in my left ear to hear how the gig "really sounded". No pain, so I figured I'd just protect the ear facing the speakers. When I went to bed afterwards my left ear was ringing like a fire alarm. I often had ringing ears from attending and playing gigs (back then there was much less awareness) but this was in a league of its own. Rainbow were the loudest band I ever heard.

It makes me wonder how Ronnie's ears were and how he could pitch so well in all that din!

Back