Todd Sucherman here!

I actually picked up "Methods and Mechanics" this afternoon.
You really explain things in a way that I can understand them, but isn't patronizing.
You also snuck in a good plug for Drummerworld.com. I'm sure Bernhard is pleased with that!

I'd recommend these DVD's for any drummer looking for some fresh approaches to their practice and playing.

Todd, just want to say, it's really is cool that you communicate on a regular basis with the drummers here, as I know it matters to alot of them including myself, and means a ton! Not that you are permanently stuck here or anything, but when you are on the forum, anyway.

Thanks dude!

Ok, this is the question i ask almost everybody these day's... Even people who have nothing to do with drumming... Obviously its an important issue for me right now...

I've come across some money recently and i'm thinking of buying an electronic drum set...
I would use it mostly for house practicing, because i don't have conditions for an acoustic drum set...

So i guess my question is what is your opinion on electronic drum set's? How will it influence dynamic of my playing? Will samples bore me after playing for some time?

Leadfoot--

Thanks for the support! I'll just be happy to "place" so to speak.

hateplow--

Thanks as well. I really hope you dig it--and that it spurs cool ideas in your playing! Your feedback is always appreciated.

Artstar--

My pleasure, man.

Inngwar--

I can't really give an opinion about electronics because I've never used one in the capacity f which you speak. I had (and still have) a ddrum3 rig which I used a lot in the 90s for jingle sessions. Those were great for that type of work but I always used real cymbals and hats with it.

Bottom line is-- if you have noise issues, you still have to play. Working on that kit would be better than nothing, right? How will it influence you playing? Hard to say as everyone is different. Will the samples bore you? Well, you get what you pay for. Get a nice one. What it WON'T help is your ride cymbal touch. You can't hit anything rubber and have your cymbal touch improved. There's no substitute for time on the actual instrument. But an electronic rig is the next best thing. I wish you luck!

Cheers--

Todd

Leadfoot--

Thanks for the support! I'll just be happy to "place" so to speak.

hateplow--

Thanks as well. I really hope you dig it--and that it spurs cool ideas in your playing! Your feedback is always appreciated.

Artstar--

My pleasure, man.

Inngwar--

I can't really give an opinion about electronics because I've never used one in the capacity of which you speak. I had (and still have) a ddrum3 rig which I used a lot in the 90s for jingle sessions. Those were great for that type of work but I always used real cymbals and hats with it.

Bottom line is-- if you have noise issues, you still have to play. Working on that kit would be better than nothing, right? How will it influence you playing? Hard to say as everyone is different. Will the samples bore you? Well, you get what you pay for. Get a nice one. What it WON'T help is your ride cymbal touch. You can't hit anything rubber and have your cymbal touch improved. There's no substitute for time on the actual instrument. But an electronic rig is the next best thing. I wish you luck!

Cheers--

Todd

Tnx for the answer!

I got one more question... This one is technical...
I'm curious to know in which style do you play your double kick's on a bass drum?
And what kind of exercise can you suggest?
I'm having some problems with mine... I use to play them up the footboard but now i'm just using my entire leg, and it bothers dynamic of my drumming (sometimes i make mistakes in keeping time, sometimes i'm reducing my bass drum lines).

Inngwar--

Peculiar question, "what style do you play your double kicks on a bass drum." I have never thought of it that way. Well, I don't think of it that way. I think of playing music and if I feel something of a double bass element will fit in what I'm playing (or most importantly---what WE are playing) I'll utilize it. It doesn't matter "what style" of music you're playing, as long as it musically fits the situation.

Work slowly and evenly. Record yourself. Be patient.

My ideas for practice as well as hand foot combinations and double bass I feel are best (and fully) expressed in my DVD, "Methods and Mechanics" which ships world wide to your house directly from:
http://www.altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

I hope you decide to pick one up!

I wish you luck with your playing--

Todd

Todd,

you make playing even the most complex seem so easy, truly a master player, continued success and thanks for the access to your thoughts and comments on the forum, much appreciated,

sincerely, KJS

ps, i am looking forward to your DVD,

SoundFocus---

Thanks for your compliments! They are appreciated very much.

Hope you do pick up the DVD and that you enjoy it.

Off to the west coast for a 3 weeks run........

Cheers-
Todd

So...., the other night I was cleaning out the back seat of my SUV so that I could lower the back seats, making the cargo area bigger. I needed to move something and was in a hurry, as usual....so I placed Tods DVD on the hood of my car SO THAT I WOULD REMEMBER WHERE IT WAS!!!!!! and..... forgetting it was there, drove off on my mission. When I noticed this, THING, blow off after drving a little bit I instantly remembered what it was and started a diatribe of choice words and phrases, that only a fireman like myself could utter in one big sentence, turned around and knew that this was bad news. I stopped in the spot where Methods and Mechanics learned to fly and found the package!!! alas no DVD's. Now, a few cars had gone down the road ,since, and I just knew I would find pieces, but to my surprise....there, a few feet away, were the two discs, one was chipped on the edge and the other took a few scratches. Back at the O'L homestead I plugged the cd's in knowing that they had to be gonners ( and just couldn't afford to buy a new cd at this time) but to my amazment they both played flawlesly!!!! So....Tod, not only is this DVD set the best I ever watched they are bullet proof and obviously have 9 lives!!!! You just can't make this crap up.

Hi, Todd! I put in my order for one of your signed DVDs a couple of days ago, but apparently it hasn't shipped yet. (Do they have to send the DVD to you to sign, or did you provide them with signed copies? Just curious... :)) I really look forward to seeing it, if only because, as I've said before, I love watching anyone giving the benefit of their expertise to others.

Along with everyone else on here, I thank you so much for the time you give to the fans, whether they play drums or not!

Look forward to seeing you in May, wherever you're going to be...

~ Ciana

hey Todd

Just dropping by to say thank you so much for your amazing DVD! You playing is fantastic and you have really demonstrated some great ideas. I found it so helpful when you demonstrated how to apply all of those rudimements to the drum set. Your DVD has really opened up my playing and given me some great ideas to work on. Every drummer should have this DVD! Thankyou

Conor

Stillgroovin--

That's quite a story! Glad they still work. Now be careful next time......

Ciana--

Thanks for your order. They are all pre signed.....that's really the only way to do it. Hope you enjoy it.

Conor--

Thanks for your kind words! Glad you're getting good stuff out of the DVD. I hope it continues to inspire your playing and thinking. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Cheers from the Oregon coast,

Todd

Todd,

I watched some of your DVD here at Drummer World and I might be picking one up. Great Stuff!

On a side note, what ride cymbal are you using on your bigger set up on your kit. The kit you use when explaining the Bonham/Gadd fills. I couldn't see a logo on it, and was interested.

Thanks for your time,

Danny

I got the DVDs today! I watched a little bit of each on a friend's player (for some reason, they won't play on mine... well, my player is about ten years old). I mentioned what another friend of mine once said: "Damn, he makes drumming sound melodic!" lol My friend said, "Yeah, and he makes it look so easy, too!" Of course, I told him that you've been playing since you were five.

One thing I love about your DVD is that you can make it seem like you're speaking personally to each person watching. (My friend also noted that.) Even though I couldn't follow half of what you were talking about, I just liked being able to watch you work.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new DVD player soon, so I can watch everything on the discs.

Sinsyk17--

Thanks for your kind words and I hope you do pick up the dvd. The ride on the big kit was a "prototype" that I picked up at the Sabian office in LA a few years ago. It has a unique thing--crashability with a defined ping along with a killer bell. It's sort of an anomaly. I had Mark Love at Sabian copy it and make me 2 extra ones in case anything bad happens to the "master" one. Sorry I don't have any more info on it. Thanks for your note.

Ciana--

Those are DVD 9s which have a lot more information on the discs because of the length. I suppose some older players might have problems with them but haven't heard many complaints. Try your computer perhaps. I've actually been playing since the age of 2, to correct you!
OK. Thanks and I hope that you enjoy them, and appreciate the kind words.

Cheers from Tacoma-
Todd

Ciana--

Those are DVD 9s which have a lot more information on the discs because of the length. I suppose some older players might have problems with them but haven't heard many complaints. Try your computer perhaps. I've actually been playing since the age of 2, to correct you!
OK. Thanks and I hope that you enjoy them, and appreciate the kind words.

Cheers from Tacoma-
Todd

No complaints here, either... just wanted you to know why I haven't had a chance to watch everything yet.

And regarding when you started playing... I was referring to when you started playing professionally. I know your dad started giving you lessons when you were two, correct?

Hope you're enjoying the tour so far!

~ Ciana

Last edited:
Hey, Todd... I tried to send this to you in a PM, but it didn't go through. :(

Dude, now you're making me pay more attention to drummers.

One of the things I managed to catch on my piece o' crap DVD player was you saying that people should have more than just your DVD in their collection. I'm thinking of getting some other DVDs, just to compare and contrast technique (if I can...) No two drummers play alike, right? I mean, your technique has probably evolved over the years, and is different than what your dad or other instructors taught you, and also from the drummers who've influenced you.

I have a copy of Queen + Paul Rodgers (Return of the Champions double-live album from '05), and one of my favorite tracks is "Let There Be Drums" (disc 2, track 13). I was reading another forum (don't remember which, but the thread was about if a solo drum could be considered music. I wouldn't think so myself, but what do I know? :)) The track starts off with just the drums, and then the guitars (and maybe keyboards?) come in. I love that kind of thing, sort of like in "Half Penny, Two Penny" with drums/guitars/keyboards.

Well, I just wanted to let you know what you're doing to me! lol Gettin' me all interested in drums and drummers now...

TTYL!

~ Ciana

Hey buddy,

I wanted to mention two things.

First, I'll bet your happy to see your thread take off like a rocket. I thought Gavin's thread would conquer all... yet, you have become a instant favorite among the forum. It's not a shock to me. Congrats sir, it's long overdue. I don't say much on here but I read alot of the posts and I want to thank you for each and every response you give the members of this forum. I know I speak for many of us when I say that it's a blessing to be able to associate with you in this medium.

Next, your DVD has been on constant rotation in my house. My 3 year old daughter is constantly watching it. She wakes up in the morning and puts it in the DVD player, then she watches some cartoons and when she gets bored with them she puts your DVD in. No joke. She is always wanting to watch it. It's really amazing to see the interest she takes in it. Don't ever think that your drumming will not be inspirational to a younger generation.

Just wanted to let you know.

Back