Thicker Bassdrum Heads

DFL

Do any manufacturers produce a thicker single ply bass drum head? From what i've seen they're all 10 mm heads. Is there something similar to the Gplus, Ambassador X, EC1, etc, for the bassdrum?

As Uniin said, the GMAD is a 12mil version of our EMAD. You can remove the muffling ring for more of an open tone. Cheers!

The best sounding bass drum heads are Remo Power Stroke 3's. Evans has a similar head but it doesn't perform as well as the Remo.

ditto the Remo PS3. Just tried it - great sound. I will buy another.
I'm sure you can do well with Evans options too.

I prefer the Aq. Super Kick 1 over all other drum heads for the bass drum. It produces more bottom end and still allows more tuning ranges. It lasts as long or longer than much heavier heads and together with the regulator counter part I think they excell. Doc

Aquarian has a new head out called the super 10. It's a two ply head combining two 10 mil plies. Lots of low end. I mounted one yesterday and it's real punchy.

Thin Thin Thin.........the thinner the shell the lower the tone, the thinner the bass drum head (using heads specifically for bass drums) the lower you go in tonality. The SK ONE is very tuneable the thicker you go (SK TWO) the less tuneability you have. Is TUNEABILITY a word?? It is now!!! Point being go thin get bottom end without having a sloppy batter head so your pedal action is good. I used the Power Strokes for years but unless your doing low profile gigs were volumn needs to be way down and yo don't want to feather the kick all night then the PS 3 is the best. I feel like a an AQ salesmen, (Hey you listening in AQ. Land, send me a couple rounds of heads for all these endorsements here) yeah right!!!! I think the new 10 is thicker than the SK ONE so theres little tuning with them. I'd still be using Remo Emperiors if they never got around to specializing heads for each drum, hey worked very well and you could do alot of tuning. It seems todays drummers don't know and don't want to know how to tune. They want a special head that flops on and never needs tuning. The worst is a hand held? machine that tells you the "pitch" is good? Really maybe I'll stay home in favor of a drum machine?? (v52*h!) Doc

A thinner head will not have more low end than a thicker head, considering they are both single ply. Also a thicker head should give more sustain than thinner head. So GMAD is the only single ply drum head available? Can you remove all the damping from the head? The GMAD sounds like what I am looking for, I just don't want to have it be pre-muffled.

A thinner head will not have more low end than a thicker head, considering they are both single ply. Also a thicker head should give more sustain than thinner head. So GMAD is the only single ply drum head available? Can you remove all the damping from the head? The GMAD sounds like what I am looking for, I just don't want to have it be pre-muffled.

You can remove the dampening from a GMAD, it's just a foam ring mounted around the edge on the outside of the head. But you'd still be left with the plastic lip that holds foam.

Also, there are plenty of single ply kick heads but the GMAD is the thickest (of the Evans heads) at 12mil. Everything else Evans makes (EMAD, G1, EQ4, EQ1) are all 10mil.

Yea, I meant to say only 12mm single ply drumhead. I have an EQ4 on at the moment, and it comes with sleeve like thing for damping, its around the edge of the head. I am assuming the GMAD's lip or sleeve is the same thing? I like the sound I have now, so I am hoping the GMAD is the same but thicker, giving more low end and sustain.

Read the thread if you are going to reply. I said I was going to remove the dampening. I realize if there is 4 pounds of foam on the head its not gonna sustain very long. Or are you saying that it can't be removed?

Back