Martial arts (could use your thoughts)

drummingman

Gold Member
I have been fascinated with martial arts for years. I have always wanted to get into martial arts. The thing is that i have tendinitis in both of my wrists (had 2 surgeries on my left wrist about 10 years ago) and am somewhat afraid to take martial arts because im afraid of hurting my wrists to where it would effect drumming. Drumming is what i do for a living and i worry about hurting my wrists to where it would mess with my drumming. The main types of martial arts that im into are karate, kung fu and boxing (although a sport it is very much a martial art).

I just found out about a place in my area that teaches boxing, muay thai and mma. I am looking into taking boxing lessons.

I could use all of your advice as to what you all think about me getting into martial arts.

My dad coached UFC from 93 to 00. He's in his fifties and he still runs a mile faster than me. My mile is a 5:55. He plays in a working band (Piano). So I say go for it. It definitely won't make you weaker, and your wrists hurting from boxing probably would just mean that your using bad technique... :p

What you need to do is head down to the dojo and talk to the Sensai and see what he has to offer. You can learn technique to strengthen you weaknesses and become a very proficient martial artist. Best of luck.

Jim

I took Tae Kwon Do for 5 years and it definately helped me with a lot of things...physical fitness, conditioniing, attitude, self esteme, etc. While a lot of my peers were couch potatoes and getting fat, I was out running, weight lifiting, going to martial arts classes, etc. Now years later I still am feeling the benefits of that intense program. I had wonderful instructors who generally cared about their students' well-being. And when I became an assistant instructor, I tried to emulate thier fine qualities.

I echo what was said here. Go to the nearest legitimate dojos or dojangs and ask the instructors and inquire about your specific situation. I bet you find friendly people who generally care.

My own experience is I met some wonderfully warm and friendly people who turned into my band of brothers. Now years later I still keep in touch with some of them. Good luck!

There are many fine disciplines out there,but as has been mentioned, they are dependent upon qualified instructors. My son took Goju-ryu for 4 years,Indonesian Silat for about the same. Silat was definitely less injury producing,and in his mind more effective. I would inventory all my possibilities before I dove in,as any of them will take years to master.

As is im mostly looking at taking boxing lessons. Its a very effective fighting art. I would also like to learn weapon defense and disarms as well.

Find a doctor or orthopaedic surgeon and get some professional advice.

Hey Drummingman,

If at all available in the are I suggest Wing Tsun Kung Fu (or Wing Chun). It uses very interesting soft techniques that force the opponents strenght against him. It doesnt require too much fitness level and can be a very effective self defence means.
About 4 years ago I had stopped drumming completely in pursuit of this martial arts and I made a whole year learning almost full time. The techniques are deep and effective and most of my flow in drums I developed from there.
I had practiced boxing too for a while, even wrestling for 3 years , karate and Ninjustu for about a year. I stopped boxing cos of the too much strikes to the head. But from my experience I suggest Wing Chun Kung fu.

Regards

To learn weapons disarms and "situational tactics," if you will, I would look into Krav Maga or some variant therein. I am taking a sort of mixed martial arts course with an emphasis on Krav Maga, and having researched it for several months, I find it particularly effective. It is not a sporty, sparring kind of thing, though. It is designed to effectively, brutally deal with combatants though a kick-in-the-balls kind of approach, similar to the stuff in the movie Taken and the Bourne Trilogy. In real life Krav Maga is employed by the Israeli Defense Force and the Mossad I believe.

I second the vote for Krav. Simple, brutal, and effective. A real no nonsense approach.

I would suggest Aikido (or Ki-Aikido, which is what I did, which is a more subtle form) but you mentioned the wrist issue and a lot of Aikido techniques are wrist-heavy. Why not Tai Chi? Although it's not a combat art, it will teach you many things. Combine it with Wing Chun or Wing Tsun... wonderful.

I have been fascinated with martial arts for years. I have always wanted to get into martial arts. The thing is that i have tendinitis in both of my wrists (had 2 surgeries on my left wrist about 10 years ago) and am somewhat afraid to take martial arts because im afraid of hurting my wrists to where it would effect drumming. Drumming is what i do for a living and i worry about hurting my wrists to where it would mess with my drumming. The main types of martial arts that im into are karate, kung fu and boxing (although a sport it is very much a martial art).

I just found out about a place in my area that teaches boxing, muay thai and mma. I am looking into taking boxing lessons.

I could use all of your advice as to what you all think about me getting into martial arts.

Hi drummingman.
I have over 30 years invested in martial arts, studied 32 styles all up. Upon reading your post my first thought is you need to consult a doctor who specializes in sports medicine before taking any martial arts classes.

I had to quit due to a serious health issue. I miss it very much.

As is im mostly looking at taking boxing lessons. Its a very effective fighting art. I would also like to learn weapon defense and disarms as well.

DrummingMan, have you heard of Arnis or Kali...the art of stick fighting. I see that you have a background in Karate and KungFu. This would be a great extension to those arts. I think it would also strengthen your wrists. Check out Master Fred's website : http://www.lakb.net/index.html
Good Luck !

My only concern is that these three styles require significant strength (including in the wrists) to be effective.

I have been studying wing chun Kung Fu for a while and it has actually helped me retain my mobility and fllexibility. It also doesnt rely on sheer srength to be effective. If punching with closed fists is painful for you, palm striking may work as an alternative.

The styles that im looking at now are wing chun and goju ryu karate. Im wanting to decide which style would be better for me to take with having the tendinitis in my wrists? What do you all think?

The thing with me is that i keep coming back to martial arts and self defense in my life. Its like i will write it off because of fear that i could mess up my wrists and hurt my drumming but i always find that i get interested in it again over time. I really go back and forth on weather i should do martial arts or not because of the fear of hurting my wrists. Thats why i keep posting in this thread. At times im like "yeah, my wrists should be fine if i take martial arts", but then i start thinking about how much it would mess up my life if i hurt my wrists and it hurt my drumming. Then i write martial arts off again but i always find myself being interested in it again. Like i will see a show on tv or something like that that will get me back into martial arts again.

Im really torn on what i should do about taking martial arts or not. I fo do take a martial art its very important to me that what i lean can be used for serious self defense in a real life situation. That throws out things like tai chi and other arts that art really that focused on real sefl defense.

Feel free to give your thoughts.

Back