Ludwig Floor Tom Leg Mounts

iamjohn

I've got a 2012 Luddy Classic Maple kit that I love. My one issue is the floor tom leg mounts. They're just unreliable. I haven't had a problem on a gig yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement leg mount that'll be more solid?

Thanks.

Which mounts did you get? I got the Elite brackets on my 2011 CM and they are solid as a rock.

Can you retrofit the Elites? I'm not sure what the hole spacings are, but that might work.

Really? The regular Ludwig leg bracket isn't working out? Those things are pretty solid to me. I've had older ones that lasted for years and never gave me a problem. Are we talking about the same thing? Can you post a picture of what you have? I find this hard to believe.

Yeah the Elite Bracket might be a good call. I'd imagine they're the same mounting config. I'll check with my local guy.

Bo, here's what I've got. They're just not totally secure. Scares me a little.

sdoggy.jpg

I own two Ludwig kits with those brackets and I have never had a problem with them.
I converted my vintage kit to them so that I could use memory locks and have a large wing nut instead of a hex nut, or a small wing nut to lock the legs in.
I use them on bass spurs and tom mounts too.
Here is a pic showing the memory lock. I found them on e-Bay for a reasonable price.
If you use the memory lock on the floor tom legs add, two gaskets underneath the mounting brackets to allow the memory lock to pass by the hoop when installing the tom legs.
The gaskets are on e-Bay too.

Attachments

• 0728031028a.jpg
    0728031028a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with those brackets. I'm not a fan of memory locks on floor tom legs either even though I have them on my Renown floor. (I know I don't have to use them but, whatever.) It takes very little time to set the legs to a comfortable position so I don't bother on my other floors. I could see them used to prevent slippage but the Classic bracket which uses an eye-bolt seems unlikely to slip. The older brackets that use a wing screw I could see slipping.

Do the newer Classic brackets have a notch at the bottom to receive a memory lock? Mine (the old ones) don't.

Actually Bob,

The memory locks are the solution. I just put the memory lock from the rack tom on one of the FT legs and it's perfect. I don't even need the gaskets to make it past the hoop.

Thanks again.

John

Glad that it worked out for you. I forgot that I use thicker 2.3mm hoops instead of the stock 1.6mm.
That is why I had to add the extra gaskets to my floor toms for mem lock use.

Back