For the motorcyclists among us...

Nice looking bike. I wish North America would have a graduated hp restriction on newbies. Maybe then insurance would not be so high.

It's 11 kW (14.6 hp) for learners and 25 kW (33 hp) for 2 years for newly qualified under 21s. Or once 21 you can elect to take a test on a motorbike with over 35 kW (47 hp) which will then allow you to ride any power bike thereafter. That can be done with or without having taken the restricted category test first. As i said before, i think it's probably better that under 21s are made to ride low powered bikes first. I just think they're extremely easy to ride if you're a beginner. I think this one is a bit heavier than the one i use on lessons though. And considerably louder. I pretty much need earplugs to ride this one.

The insurance (3pft) was £370 including legal protection bearing in mind i'm 19 with 0 ncd. Don't know how that stacks up with a typical north american quote? Is there any kind of engine size restriction for learners or anything?

Unfortunately a 16 year old kid can go get his licence and drive away on a GSXR 1000. That is crazy. This is why the rates are so high. They are the ones that go out and cost the insurance companies all the money, then the rest of us have to pay. If they had the horsepower system like you guys have, then it might be a little more safe.

I have been riding for 31 years. I pay 900 dollars for fairly basic coverage, with 1000 deductibles. I called for my son who just got his licence, to have him insured on my wife's Suzuki Intruder 800 and they wanted 6000 dollars if he was the primary driver. What! Talk about crazy. That is a pretty tame bike. We put him on as an occasional driver and it was free. Big difference I would say. I can't imagine what a GSXR would of been for him to insure on his own.

It is really a shame. When I turned 16 the first thing I did was get my bike licence, and bought a used Suzuki TS185. If was cheap to insure. Now the kids get killed for insurance.

Unfortunately a 16 year old kid can go get his licence and drive away on a GSXR 1000. That is crazy. This is why the rates are so high. They are the ones that go out and cost the insurance companies all the money, then the rest of us have to pay. If they had the horsepower system like you guys have, then it might be a little more safe.

That's crazy. I'm guessing the canadian government thought that the insurance companies would regulate the usage of powerful bikes by young people by pricing them off bigger bikes, but as far as i'm concerned that's a false economy because all you're doing is making it so that extremely rich kids can still get their hands on fast bikes and still have accidents which push the cost of insurance up for everyone.

I have been riding for 31 years. I pay 900 dollars for fairly basic coverage, with 1000 deductibles. I called for my son who just got his licence, to have him insured on my wife's Suzuki Intruder 800 and they wanted 6000 dollars if he was the primary driver. What! Talk about crazy. That is a pretty tame bike. We put him on as an occasional driver and it was free. Big difference I would say. I can't imagine what a GSXR would of been for him to insure on his own.

The insurance company probably sees the number 800 and thinks right that kid is not getting that bike insured for himself. As for the occasional driver thing, it's pretty mad. I can get temporary insurance for a month for like £30 for my mum's car which works at like £400 a year but if i tried to get insured for it for a year it would be like an extra £1000 or something ridiculous. It's all about the no-claims. They want you to spend extra, so you can save money in the future!

My dad has had his licence for over 30 years and i think he got a quote for his insurance on a BMW 650 that was like £70 or something.

It is really a shame. When I turned 16 the first thing I did was get my bike licence, and bought a used Suzuki TS185. If was cheap to insure. Now the kids get killed for insurance.

yeah if everyone started on cute little bikes like that then it would probably work out a lot cheaper, it certainly seems that way for insurance on bikes in this country.

That gave me goosebumps! I want to learn how to ride a motorbike...but I always fell off or got knocked off my bicycle....is there any hope for me??

Nice bike up there ^^

Thanks :) i was doing the lawn today and noticed my dad's petrol mower is 14 kW so more powerful than my bike lol.

My driving instructor always told me to watch out for the 'hairdryers' when I was learning. He meant mopeds, not actual bikes - but it always warranted a laugh. I'm in Guernsey at the moment and saw somebody riding an old Indian Chief (I think, but I'm not good with bikes) it was beautiful.

My driving instructor always told me to watch out for the 'hairdryers' when I was learning. He meant mopeds, not actual bikes. I'm in Guernsey at the moment and saw somebody riding an old Indian - I didn't catch the model (and know very little about bikes) but it was beautiful.

It was either a scout or a chief

Thanks :) i was doing the lawn today and noticed my dad's petrol mower is 14 kW so more powerful than my bike lol.

Aaaaaaw haha that's kinda embarrasing :D We all have to start somewhere though.

I feel left out, here's my Dads bike -
228107_10150267796060865_657820864_9065565_4871086_n.jpg

Collies are awesome. They're probably also completely nuts. My parents' two Labradors are bad enough!

Collies are awesome. They're probably also completely nuts. My parents' two Labradors are bad enough!

The one on the left spoke Russian

The one of the right only spoke spanish and a little Italian. Both of them would only use a Mac, it was maddening, wouldn't touch a PC

The one on the left spoke Russian

The one of the right only spoke spanish and a little Italian. Both of them would only use a Mac, it was maddening, wouldn't touch a PC

Sounds a bit like my brain if I were any good at languages...

That gave me goosebumps! I want to learn how to ride a motorbike...but I always fell off or got knocked off my bicycle....is there any hope for me??
^^

Much easier on a motorbike. You don't have to pedal so it's easier to balance but hurts more when you fall off ;o)

Loved the vid (45, 20stone bloke and I too shed a tear)

Here's mine. Just got her yesterday after a 10 year gap in riding, partly due to an accident and partly life passing me by. Interestingly my insurance with 0 no claims discount, including legal cover, European cover and breakdown + recovery cover came to £139 with £250 excess. One of the advantages of being old :eek:)

Attachments

• Kev's new bike.jpg
    Kev's new bike.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 312
Right ok so i've got my motorcycle module 2 test tomorrow (the big one). Hopefully i will pass so i will then be legally allowed to ride a slightly bigger motorcycle with a bit more power than currently :)

Back