Is there a Remo equivalent of Aquarian's PII?

justJon

I checked Aquarian's site, and they show no matches, but I have a feeling their chart was made up before PS4's, EQ2(?)'s, etc, came out.
I'm currently running Aquarian Performance II's over coated Ambassadors, and that's my sound! The gear-matching geek in me would prefer to have all heads the same manufacture. Of course, if it's not possible, the sound is most important, so I'll deal, but...

FWIW, I've tried Aquarian classic clears, and their single-ply coated reso's, and while close, they're just not quite the same, thus the search for a Remo batter to match.

Then I'd imagine it would be the Powerstroke 4.... two ply head with control ring on the underside.

At least that's as close as I can think of.

I checked Aquarian's site, and they show no matches, but I have a feeling their chart was made up before PS4's, EQ2(?)'s, etc, came out.
I'm currently running Aquarian Performance II's over coated Ambassadors, and that's my sound! The gear-matching geek in me would prefer to have all heads the same manufacture. Of course, if it's not possible, the sound is most important, so I'll deal, but...

FWIW, I've tried Aquarian classic clears, and their single-ply coated reso's, and while close, they're just not quite the same, thus the search for a Remo batter to match.

go for the sound not the brand. Stay with the aquarians if you like 'em.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/155/cl_pinstripe.html

Remo Pinstripes are nothing Like Aquarian Performance 2's.. A little info from both companies sites.... If anything from Remo, the closest would be the Powerstoke 4. as someone else stated.. don't worry about the brands.. if you like what you got stick with it.

Performance II™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Performance II™ Texture Coated: A deep sounding two ply head featuring the durable Satin Finish™ texture coating.

Performance II™ with Power Dot™: A clear, two ply drumhead that features our patented Power Dot™ on top for added durability.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics.

Remo Pinstripes are nothing Like Aquarian Performance 2's.. A little info from both companies sites.... If anything from Remo, the closest would be the Powerstoke 4. as someone else stated.. don't worry about the brands.. if you like what you got stick with it.

Performance II™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Performance II™ Texture Coated: A deep sounding two ply head featuring the durable Satin Finish™ texture coating.

Performance II™ with Power Dot™: A clear, two ply drumhead that features our patented Power Dot™ on top for added durability.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics.

You make this statement - but I don't see anything in your post that backs it up. The Powerstroke 4 is a 2 ply head with a muffling ring on the underside of the head. Is this how the Performance II is constructed? The Pinstripe is a sealed 2 ply head with an internal muffling structure - more like the Performance II IMO.

In fact - the information / description of the Pinstripe and Performance II above only reinforces the similarities between the heads.

The Studio-X heads are closer to the Powerstroke Series in terms of construction.

Last edited:
How about 30 years of experience on my part ? I use Aquarian Performance 2's and in my 30 years of playing I have used Pinstripes. The Remo Pinstripe is not the equivalent to Aquarian Performance 2's. You apparently haven't used either one and that's fine but if you don't know... don't argue with someone that does. Enough said.

How about 30 years of experience on my part ? I use Aquarian Performance 2's and in my 30 years of playing I have used Pinstripes. The Remo Pinstripe is not the equivalent to Aquarian Performance 2's. You apparently haven't used either one and that's fine but if you don't know... don't argue with someone that does. Enough said.

Wow... no need to get hostile.

I've been playing for 20+ years and have indeed used both Pinstripes and Performance IIs

There is little difference between Performance II's and Pinstripes IMO... but that's all it is - an opinion. In terms of facts - the construction of the two heads is very similar.

I was simply pointing out that your post did not do anything to clear up the issue.

Pinstripes are 2 ply, and have always been 2 ply. They have the exact ply thickness as the P2's, but I would agree they don't sound the same. The construction is similar, but not exactly the same; and Aquarian's film sounds different to me. The P2's probably fall somewhere between the pinstripes and powerstroke 4's, so you're probably just gonna have to settle for either one. I'm using pinstripes right now, and they sound great, as long as you tune them up a little bit. It's probably best to just buy one for your smallest tom to see how they compare, as opposed to buying a whole set and realizing you don't like them.

Back