Pearl Eliminator or P-120

Dignan

Silver Member
So after buying a new Tama IC 200 (powerglide) I decided to return it because I realized I prefered the control and consistency of rolling glide cams. Consequently I have about $70 of GC store credit to use on a new pedal. This will be for my practice pad drum kit so it doesn't need to be super expensive, and besides, I think I'm starting to see the light about the expensive heavy pedals not necessarily always being better than the lighter, budget pedals.

I'm looking at my options on GC.com. Having heard so many good things about Pearl pedals of all models, I've narrowed it down to either a P-120 (which I've seen go for slightly used for around $20 or $30 and heard good reviews on)

OR

A pretty used, but still mechanically sound Pearl Eliminator for about $60.

Am I better off getting the Eliminator even if its seen a lot of miles? I am making this purchase sight unseen on GC.com so any advice is welcome.

If you're purchasing from Guitar Center online, I believe they still have a decent return policy on used gear. That being said, I would go for the Eliminator, as they usually last quite some time, and if that doesn't live up to your expectations, you can always return it.

If you're purchasing from Guitar Center online, I believe they still have a decent return policy on used gear. That being said, I would go for the Eliminator, as they usually last quite some time, and if that doesn't live up to your expectations, you can always return it.

Thanks. The other pedal I'm eyeing is this Yamaha 8215 single pedal for $50.

Be sure to check out the P-900 also. It is similar to the P-120, but has a footplate and power shifter foot board like the Eliminator. It really is a good pedal, and you can pick one up for pretty cheap. The adjustments on it are pretty straight forward, and there are a good amount of them.

Be sure to check out the P-900 also. It is similar to the P-120, but has a footplate and power shifter foot board like the Eliminator. It really is a good pedal, and you can pick one up for pretty cheap. The adjustments on it are pretty straight forward, and there are a good amount of them.

There happens to be a used one on GC.com for $40 right now. So this is basically a newer version of the P-120?

There happens to be a used one on GC.com for $40 right now. So this is basically a newer version of the P-120?

Yes, I believe the P-900 was the successor to the P-120. If I remember correctly, the P-120 was standard with the Export series, and the P-900 was standard with the Vision series when it replaced the discontinued Export series in the mid to late 90's.

Yes, I believe the P-900 was the successor to the P-120. If I remember correctly, the P-120 was standard with the Export series, and the P-900 was standard with the Vision series when it replaced the discontinued Export series in the mid to late 90's.

So if comparing the P-900 to the Eliminator, what are the differences? Is it just that the eliminator has the changeable cams and two chains as opposed to one? Beyond that, I can't tell much difference at all between the Eliminator and the P120/900.

The Eliminator has the cams, twin chain, adjustable traction grips, easier to access hoop clamp, different spring assembly, quad beater, and a toe stop (don't remember if this is adjustable or not, sold mine a long time ago but I think it is).

The P-900 has no cams, single chain, no traction grips (I like this, feet slide easier), normal hoop clamp, simpler but still beater angle adjustable spring assembly, two sided beater, and no toe stop but has a hole to add one.

A few other minor differences are the Eliminators have a beater stop on the shaft, so if you remove them they go back in at the exact same height. You can also slide it all the way up for a little extra weight if you want. The double chain can be adjusted for length under the foot board. The P-900 does not have the beater stop, or the chain adjustment. However, you can still adjust the chain length at either end by one link if you remove the chain assembly, allowing you to lower the foot board a bit if you need to, independent of the beater angle.

The Eliminator has the cams, twin chain, adjustable traction grips, easier to access hoop clamp, different spring assembly, quad beater, and a toe stop (don't remember if this is adjustable or not, sold mine a long time ago but I think it is).

The P-900 has no cams, single chain, no traction grips (I like this, feet slide easier), normal hoop clamp, simpler but still beater angle adjustable spring assembly, two sided beater, and no toe stop but has a hole to add one.

A few other minor differences are the Eliminators have a beater stop on the shaft, so if you remove them they go back in at the exact same height. You can also slide it all the way up for a little extra weight if you want. The double chain can be adjusted for length under the foot board. The P-900 does not have the beater stop, or the chain adjustment. However, you can still adjust the chain length at either end by one link if you remove the chain assembly, allowing you to lower the foot board a bit if you need to, independent of the beater angle.

Ok so there's quite a few extras on the eliminator. Just have to decide if I want a very used eliminator for $60 or a lightly used 900 for $40. The guy at GC said the chain on the eliminator is a little rusted so if I go that route I'll probably be shelling out for a new chain.

Alright, so I waffled around too much (as I tend to do with important decisions like this) and both the P-120 and the Yamaha 8215 (single chain flying dragon) pedals on GC.com were bought. I must have JUST missed the Yamaha because it was available online one second and gone when I called the store to order it. Wasn’t meant to be I guess.

So, of the original three I was interested in I’m left with what looks like a pretty used , but still functional Pearl Eliminator (click for picture) 2000C for $59. The salesperson admitted to me that the chain was a little rusted but otherwise the pedal was in good working order and it still has all the cams, drum key and the bag. I already looked at spare parts and I can replace the worn grip plate for about $12 and I can replace the chain for about $30 if necessary.

I’ve heard these eliminators are pretty durable so cosmetic wear aside, would you Eliminator owners recommend against this for any reason? I have about $70 to spend on my practice kit pedal and thought this might be a good option.

Last edited:
The ones I had served me well for probably 8-10 years, playing death metal, about two of those as a double before I got a second kick drum. The only thing I had to replace was the springs, about once a year, but that was with extreme daily use. They hold up well.

The ones I had served me well for probably 8-10 years, playing death metal, about two of those as a double before I got a second kick drum. The only thing I had to replace was the springs, about once a year, but that was with extreme daily use. They hold up well.

Thanks. Sounds like it will likely still be a good buy. I think if I get this I will replace the grip plate and chain anyway. Maybe I'll get a strap instead.

Pulled the trigger on the Eliminator. Should be here tomorrow. GC sent me a few pics to show some of the wear which is on the footplate and the chain is a little rusted but overall it looks to be in good condition and still has all the cams and the bag. I plan on trying to clean the pedal piece by piece and try to remove the rust off the chain, or buy a new chain if it's beyond fixing. I can also buy a new grip plate for $10 online. For $60 I'd say its a good find.

Got the pedal yesterday. Took it apart, cleaned it, did my best to de-rust the chain, re oiled everything and put it back together. Very smooth pedal. Just need to find my preferred settings.

Before:

After:

Got the pedal yesterday. Took it apart, cleaned it, did my best to de-rust the chain, re oiled everything and put it back together. Very smooth pedal. Just need to find my preferred settings.

Before:

After:

Wow looks good, even the chain cleaned up nicely.

Are you happy with it so far?

Wow looks good, even the chain cleaned up nicely.

Are you happy with it so far?

I am so far. It's taking me a while to mess with the settings to get it where I like but I'm sure I'll find a good setting. Thinking of getting a strap for it too to see if I like the feel of it.

Good choice, Eliminators are great pedals. Very fast and snappy.

Back