Travis Barker

anyone else think travis is abit shit ?? not as good as steve vai man i love his fills on run to the hills !!! who agrees with me ??

anyone else think travis is abit shit ?? not as good as steve vai man i love his fills on run to the hills !!! who agrees with me ??

"His reputation is expanding faster than the universe. He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels. He lives vicariously for himself...He is, the most interesting man in the world"; Travis Barker.

"His reputation is expanding faster than the universe. He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels. He lives vicariously for himself...He is, the most interesting man in the world"; Travis Barker.

Alright, that's a Dos Equis commercial, and Travis Barker is nowhere near as awesome as the man that can speak Russian in French.

what?!? Drumming is all about LOOKING COOL. Travis does it quite well, while playing quite well. Endo story.

Actually drumming is about keeping a rhythm and time, not about looking cool. Looking cool is just incidental bi-product, and it comes with what? Keeping time, being able to hold down the beat, and elaborating on tastefully. Barker looks like he's suffering from spasm when he plays. If he spent half of the energy he puts into making it look like he plays into actually playing he'd be able to do twice as much. End OF story.

P.S. He should really stop pouting during photo shoots. Pouting is NOT cool. This isn't the damn 1980's.

Actually drumming is about keeping a rhythm and time, not about looking cool. Looking cool is just incidental bi-product, and it comes with what? Keeping time, being able to hold down the beat, and elaborating on tastefully. Barker looks like he's suffering from spasm when he plays. If he spent half of the energy he puts into making it look like he plays into actually playing he'd be able to do twice as much. End OF story.

P.S. He should really stop pouting during photo shoots. Pouting is NOT cool. This isn't the damn 1980's.

Ok ok, your right. Drumming isn't about looking cool. However, I have just as much appreciation for Travis Barker as I do for Steve Gadd, or Gene Krupa. I can also understand why so many people are upset that Travis recieves so much attention, moreso than many other professional drummers out there. However, Travis has always been involved with the teens/young adults. I'm sure if half of these people actually knew a thing or two about music/drumming, they would re-think their statement that Travis is "the best in the world". (more chances than not, people are just saying this as a figure of speech) BUT, because the majority of these people may not care about the technicalities of drumming, they don't really care to know much more about it, or do any of their own research. I have never thought Travis has ever set out to be THE BEST IN THE WORLD. He just does what he loves, doesn't brag about himself, appreciates all of his fans, and he enjoys life playing in one of the biggest punk/pop bands in the world. I attended a show they played the other night, with 30,000+ people at it...insaine. You gotta give him props for his speed and creativity though. ( A big reason why he is so much more famous than those average, crappy drummers for crappy bands that no one listens to like; Panic! At The Disco, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls, and any other crappy emo wannabe band that was influenced by blink 182, but will never be as good) I think alot of technical drummers frown upon his style/looks/"coolness", which comes from Travis being so involved with the hip-hop lifestyle, playing with DJ AM and what not...However, the thing about Travis is, he's always been himself, since he first poped up in the music scene 15 years ago. It's not like he's gradually become more and more of something he hasn't already always been, just to get more attention from the younger generation of fans. His style, his look, his taste in music has always been the same.

Also, where did you come up with the fact that he complains about photo shoots lol? Did you read this in the press somewhere? Take a look at this video...looks to me that Travis is quite enjoying himself..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9a3rVvo3aA

Last edited:
He is a very humble cat, I'll give you that. And I know he's a big Buddy Rich fan, and personality wise he's probably the polar opposite of Buddy. I've come to realize that it's not Barker I have a problem with, it's his damn fans (and the young ones in particular, who haven't been exposed to other things and may never be). And fans of drummers in general, they're the ones who start comparing one guy to another which ultimately comes down to the viewer/listeners perspective and preferences.

Also, where did you come up with the fact that he complains about photo shoots lol? Did you read this in the press somewhere? Take a look at this video...looks to me that Travis is quite enjoying himself..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9a3rVvo3aA

I didn't mean it as he was complaining, but about a year or so after that first Blink album with him on it came out he gradually started posing with his lips pouting (don't know if it's because of the lip ring or what). To me, it makes him look like a douche. And I've seen interviews with him and he doesn't do that, but you put him in a photo shoot, and the guy
looks like he's pursing his lips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfsr9D-KXU

This really says it all.

Like Tommy Lee, he's a good musician, I like what he does and he's a great showman but he's a mediocre drummer. He's also one non-stop, anurism waiting to happen, after the fact heart attack ball of energy. If you look up amphetemine in Webster's it must say Travis somewhere.

He is a very humble cat, I'll give you that. And I know he's a big Buddy Rich fan, and personality wise he's probably the polar opposite of Buddy. I've come to realize that it's not Barker I have a problem with, it's his damn fans (and the young ones in particular, who haven't been exposed to other things and may never be). And fans of drummers in general, they're the ones who start comparing one guy to another which ultimately comes down to the viewer/listeners perspective and preferences.

I didn't mean it as he was complaining, but about a year or so after that first Blink album with him on it came out he gradually started posing with his lips pouting (don't know if it's because of the lip ring or what). To me, it makes him look like a douche. And I've seen interviews with him and he doesn't do that, but you put him in a photo shoot, and the guy
looks like he's pursing his lips.

Yeah I agree with you about the fans. And for some people to compare Travis to other drummers from a different genre of music, who are escpecially known for DRUMMING, not Blink 182, I think is ridiculous.

About weather or not you think Travis looks like a douche, is your opinion lol. I think it may just be his facial posture???
heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfsr9D-KXU

This really says it all.

Like Tommy Lee, he's a good musician, I like what he does and he's a great showman but he's a mediocre drummer. He's also one non-stop, anurism waiting to happen, after the fact heart attack ball of energy. If you look up amphetemine in Webster's it must say Travis somewhere.

I'm a little confused about your video post though???

Last edited:
the thing with travis barker is that you have to undrestand that he is in a band with musically challenged ppl and as you might know alot of the blink 182 record and some of the transplants record was based off of his drum parts wich means he made the drums beats first then the other guys did the guitar and bass parts over it. So think about it if travsi started doing liek crazy odd time signatures and sincopated beats that arent straigth forward it would be way to hard for the other guys in his band to make anything up to. also you have to give him credit for what he has done is his genre compared to all the other bands.(example ecorprate marching is his music)

regarding his solo how its not very hard its because the kids who come to the blink show usually arnt like great musicains and mostly dont play music so he has to do a solo that impresses and they will enjoy since they paid 35 dollars to get in.

But he does have formal traning and he can do alot more than what he has donn with his bands.

that is not true. mark and tom from blink 182 would make up every song. travis has only made a couple. like i miss you. which is super easy. mark and tom are very talented for their type of music

Where's your supporting evidence? Which songs does Tré suck on?

'thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.'

I don't agree with your opinion... but why should I respect? You make no clear argument as to why Travis is so good.

I hate greenday so much...mostly because of their personality. It's like they try to be funny and serious at the same time, and that just doesn't work. They have like a couple OK songs from back in the day, but thats about it.

Anyways, here's an awesome clip from a camera on Travis' drum set from one of his solo's on the current tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtszD5cMYs

Look, Travis Barker is a great drummer, he deserves respect. He may not have double bass skills like The Rev or Portnoy, but he has a certain groove that makes his drumming interesting. Travis isn't lightening fast or anything, but he can play drums well. Enough said don't you think?

Hi folks,
I am not a blink fan, I don't like them, but I can't deny Travis is a good drummer.
Don't really know how fast he is, or if he can play double bass, but, lets face it, he got groove and ideas, isn't that enough?
Here you can download some Travis Barker's Drum scores:

http://drumwatch.wordpress.com

Hope you enjoy them.
Bye!

Travis Barker is a celebrity. This is because of his reality show, and his publicist. Anyone who is in the public eye I.E: tabloids, TV shows, internet tabloids, pays a publicist to get them into those things. That's the way the business works. A great publicist costs around 10-20 grand a month.

This is a drumming website. Travis Barker is an "OK" rock drummer. I've seen him live a few times, including this past Grammy performance. His time isn't great, his feel is shakey and he hits way too hard. His band is a good band for the kind of music they play. You can't compare these types of musicians with musicians who are really into music. Blink 182 are not 24/7 players who are masterful. They write good punk/rock songs and play their instruments well enough to perform those songs. They're not hired gun musicians that can play many styles. So you really can't judge Travis on the same scale that you would judge Steve Hass, Keith Carlock, or Vinnie Colaiuta on.

As far as drumming goes, Travis will not be remembered for his drumming. His drumming is pretty irrelevant in the world of music. Josh Freese is someone who in that style of music, will be remembered. There are hundreds of thousands of drummers across the world who play the drums better than Travis Barker. That's a fact. He's just a guy that got lucky.

Travis Barker's drumming style is not necessarily my cup of tea. But with that being said, if you break down Travis' drumming to the basics of drumming. I.e. his ability to play chops/rudiments with ease, the speed at which he does so and the accuracy at which he plays them, I would he definitely is above average compared to most of the talented professional drummers.

Back