Pearl Eliminator H-2000 keyhole

Grolubao

Hi guys,

Recently I found out that my H-2000 hi-hat stand was causing keyholes to my Zildjians. In fact there is no rubber protection on the metal part.

Is there any solution for this? Would gaff-tape help?

I put a cymbal sleeve on the hi hat stand. No idea if that works for all stands, but there's plenty of room for the rod and I can still adjust bottom hat tilt. Doesn't seem to interfere with the operation of the stand at all.

Cymbal sleeve could work.

Personally, I'd get a Gibraltar quick-release clutch. It saves an insane amount of time, is very easy to operate, and has a totally smooth (no threads) section where the top hat goes.

Hi guys,

Recently I found out that my H-2000 hi-hat stand was causing keyholes to my Zildjians. In fact there is no rubber protection on the metal part.

Is there any solution for this? Would gaff-tape help?

You're not mentioning whether this was damage to your top or bottom cymbal, but it probably has little to do with your stand and more to do with your clutch and how you use it.

If you're keyholing a bottom cymbal things have gone very, very, wrong, so I'm assuming you mean the top cymbal.

Many clutches, for many many years, had threads running the whole length of them, meaning your cymbal was rubbing against threaded metal. Just as doing so on a cymbal stand will eventually keyhole your crash, so too will rubbing on threads in your clutch eventually keyhole your top hi-hat cymbal. Many good-quality clutches no longer have threaded areas on those portions of the clutch (my Pearl and DW clutches do not, for example).

Also, look at how loose your top cymbal is on the clutch. More slosh = more wear.

Gaffing tape will simply wear off given time. Either try to fit some kind of protective grommet in the center hole of your cymbal, or look for some way to put protective tubing (like large-gauge nylon tubing) over the clutch itself.

Naturally, the top cymbal. I just cannot believe I haven't looked at this before since now the cymbal is keyholed. I will buy a new clutch then.

Do all clutches work with this hi-hat stand or are there specifics for this?

I can affirm that Pearl's hi-hat rods are the standard size & that Gibraltar and DW clutches will work with them. Those are what I have tested personally. The only one I've tested that does not work with most of brands are Tama hi-hat stands which are a little thinner, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I can affirm that Pearl's hi-hat rods are the standard size & that Gibraltar and DW clutches will work with them. Those are what I have tested personally. The only one I've tested that does not work with most of brands are Tama hi-hat stands which are a little thinner, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Is there a clutch with a built in protection against keyhole? So the rubber on the thread?

I haven't heard of one. Again, I've had no issues with this at all on my Quick-Release clutch, which simply doesn't have threads where the top hat contacts it.

If you can find a thin enough sleeve to put on other clutch's threads without making the post too thick, more power to you.

Back