John Bonham

Re: JOHN BONHAM

dothecrunge said:
I see your point.

All I ever hear about Bonzo and his drums are Jeff Ocheltree this, and Jeff Ocheltree that. I'm sick of it.

That's fine. But coming from somebody who, in many discussions on many drumming subjects, is quite happily off on a "John Bonham this, John Bonham that" tangent... I think you need to be a bit more forgiving.

Bonham is a great drummer with a great career and who left an indelible mark on our instrument. Ocheltree is a great tech who has done a lot of excellent work in his chosen field. So if other people choose to talk about Jeff a lot... well... that's just fine. Or should I remind you of the fact that 80% of your posts appear to refence Bonham in some way?

finnhiggins said:
Bonham is a great drummer with a great career and who left an indelible mark on our instrument. Ocheltree is a great tech who has done a lot of excellent work in his chosen field. So if other people choose to talk about Jeff a lot... well... that's just fine. Or should I remind you of the fact that 80% of your posts appear to refence Bonham in some way?

People can talk about Jeff all they want. What people need to stop doing is crediting Jeff with Bonzo's entire career. Bonzo's drums sounded like cannons way before Jeff was ever around, so I don't see how Jeff did anything to help Bonzo's sound.

And what is "refence"? Is that a typo? Did you mean "reference"?

If you did, then yes, most of my posts pertain to John Bonham. Why? Because I know a great deal about the man. You don't see me talking about Peart all the time, do you? I wonder why? Because I know nothing about the man at all, and I don't really care either. I'm a fan of Led Zeppelin, and it's members, and I take great pride in the knowledge I have attained over the years. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I mean, I don't quite understand the point of your last sentence. Should I start talking about other drummers? Would that make your shoes fly off in a fit of joy? [I think I've used that here before ;)]

Crunge is right. John Bonham didn't owe anybody anything. Not Page, not Ocheltree.
Everything he did was down to him.

dothecrunge said:
People can talk about Jeff all they want. What people need to stop doing is crediting Jeff with Bonzo's entire career. Bonzo's drums sounded like cannons way before Jeff was ever around, so I don't see how Jeff did anything to help Bonzo's sound.

That's fine and dandy, but you do seem quite antagonistic towards the guy. Bonham had a great sound. A lot of any drummer's sound comes from the hands, so I'd be quite happy to argue that Bonham would have sounded like Bonham on even my drum kit. The job of somebody like Ocheltree (or any of Bonham's other techs) would be to set things up and (potentially) work in conjunction with the sound engineers on recordings or in concert environments to get a great drum tone. In other words, rather than defining Bonham's sound they'd be more about preserving and presenting that sound so you can enjoy it.

There were many more people involved in getting the "Great Bonham sound" down on record for us to enjoy today. Ocheltree was one of them - at least during the latter period - so I really think you're being a bit harsh towards him. Yes, he doesn't deserve all the credit. That's obvious. But he does deserve some. The fact that he is alive and has a DVD available probably helps his standing in this respect quite a lot.

And what is "refence"? Is that a typo? Did you mean "reference"?

Yup, thanks for catching that. I type pretty fast, so typos tend to slip through sometimes if I don't preview...

If you did, then yes, most of my posts pertain to John Bonham. Why? Because I know a great deal about the man. You don't see me talking about Peart all the time, do you? I wonder why? Because I know nothing about the man at all, and I don't really care either. I'm a fan of Led Zeppelin, and it's members, and I take great pride in the knowledge I have attained over the years. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I mean, I don't quite understand the point of your last sentence. Should I start talking about other drummers? Would that make your shoes fly off in a fit of joy? [I think I've used that here before ;)]

Well, it's never happened before - but you could try it and we'll see how it goes!

dothecrunge said:
Because I know nothing about the man at all, and I don't really care either. I'm a fan of Led Zeppelin, and it's members, and I take great pride in the knowledge I have attained over the years. Should I start talking about other drummers? Would that make your shoes fly off in a fit of joy?]

Yes, please talk also about other drummers.

I'm dissappointed that you don't care about other drummers. How you can you praise someone as good or best, if you know nobody else???? I see all your posts in another light now....

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
Yes, please talk also about other drummers.

I'm dissappointed that you don't care about other drummers. How you can you praise someone as good or best, if you know nobody else???? I see all your posts in another light now....

Bernhard

I've never said Bonzo was the best drummer. If a "favorite" thread comes up, I'll say Bonzo, because he's my favorite, but I would never say he was the best.

It always amazes me... one post from Bernhard and suddenly I feel belittled and insignifcant...

Well Dothecrunge, I appreciate your feedback on John Bonham. It is obvious that you know a good deal about the man, but I think we all need to open our mind a bit. I did, I started listening to ?uestlove, and my biggest influence when I started was Lars Ulrich. So there's an example of a fairly open mind; and I feel much better for it.

John Bonham ???

It's incredible, where the name of John Bonham appears everywhere spread over the forum - and this is only the first 2 percents:

in the Jeff Indyke thread
in the Billy Ward thread
in the fastest Double Bass Player thread (sic!!)
Drugs us end music (of course)
Introduce yourself (lol!!!!!!)
Tre Cool (bluffffffffff......
Joey Jordison (arrrggghhh.......
Danny Carey
PDP problems
Stuff you will probably never hear.....
USE AC/DC
Peter Criss
tell me who's the best Metal drummer (double lol)
Meg White (aha!!!!)
Do you sing while playing (...better not)
Anyone Evans EC2 heads....
ching ring hihat tambourines ....why not?
Keith Moon (almost forgotten.....)
Jimmy Chamberlin
Brann Dailor
Virgil Donati
Drums Schools vx. Private Teacher
John Densmore
DW 9000 Pedals (..thats new to me really, because DW didn't exist then....)
The Grand Master Buddy Rich (sorry, he loved only Steve Gadd)
Chris Adler (..not even born then)
My Pearl Export....hmmmm
Dream Singer Duets ( sorry, it's meant Tracy Bonham)
Do people still think Led Zeppelin is overrated???? - what a question

Well, well, I loved this guy once......
Bernhard

Re: John Bonham ???

Even if there was a separate "Bonham" forum, his name would still be used anywhere/anytime key words like Ludwig, Paiste, Led Zeppelin, the 60's, 70's, drinking etc. were used.

With Bonham, the die hards will find any reason to bring up his name.

"I like to use library paste for little projects..."

"Hey! John Bonham once ATE some library paste, and he was very good at doing it!"

mediocrefunkybeat said:
It always amazes me... one post from Bernhard and suddenly I feel belittled and insignifcant...

Well Dothecrunge, I appreciate your feedback on John Bonham. It is obvious that you know a good deal about the man, but I think we all need to open our mind a bit. I did, I started listening to ?uestlove, and my biggest influence when I started was Lars Ulrich. So there's an example of a fairly open mind; and I feel much better for it.

If it helps, you always seemed insignificant to me.

:p

I always feel insignicant; don't worry... personal complex.

Maybe it should be, bash Bonham before he bashes you!

LOL!

Thinshells said:
Even if there was a separate "Bonham" forum, his name would still be used anywhere/anytime key words like Ludwig, Paiste, Led Zeppelin, the 60's, 70's, drinking etc. were used.

Indeed. It doesn't half get tiresome, I have to say! There's what, five hundred-ish drummers on Drummerworld and these guys have somewhere between little and nothing to say about the other 99.75% of them? Urk.

Bonham is a great drummer, but raising one single topic in any conversation on any subject is a good indication that you're probably getting stale and boring in life.

Thinshells said:

"I like to use library paste for little projects..."

"Hey! John Bonham once ATE some library paste, and he was very good at doing it!"

My truck broke down this weekend, mechanic told me I need a new John Bonham. Met this girl at the club that night. Let's just say she was pretty John Bonham'd. She Bonham'd me right there in the parking lot.

Milo said:
My truck broke down this weekend, mechanic told me I need a new John Bonham. Met this girl at the club that night. Let's just say she was pretty John Bonham'd. She Bonham'd me right there in the parking lot.

Milo wins.

I'd Bonham him.

Milo said:

What happens when a man goes through his own portal?

Milo said:

That's the "Smurf" way to use the name. I was also thinking of that old SNL skit with the superfans.

"What if John Bonham was coaching the bears?" "They'd win 114 to negative 20!"

Back