To Light or Not to Light?

jdrummys

How important do you think it is to have your own lights when you are a cover band playing small to medium sized bars (which usually dont have anything other than house lights? Will people not dance if the band doesnt have lights? The reason I'm asking is because I have always been the one who brings the lights and light stand to gigs, and I'm tired of lugging them all the time along with my drums. The other guys arent really willing to, and really wh've had gigs where the lights were pumping, but no one danced anyway. What is your experience with lights?

Lights are very important to the overall visual impact of the show. Think of the show with lights, and then think of it without lights...there's a world of difference. Standard practice in groups that I've had is to pay whoever provides the PA and whoever brings the lighting system something extra. They are providing extra work for the good of the show, not just themselves. If the musicians want to cart extra guitar/bass amps, pedals, guitars, drums, etc...that's their call, and they don't get paid extra for that. For bringing and setting up the lights or PA, they get paid usually an extra $100 or so.

Back