what snare head should i get???

rjnyam

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom Steel Snare, that came on my really old yamaha kit. I have already tried the evans coated power center or dot..i cant remember. It sounds alright but it doesn't cut it for me. I am also looking for a rock sound so full bodied but with little overtone. i hate the ringing afterwards! Please help

I took off an HD dry made by Evans for the same reason and just put on an Evans G2 coated head and have it not so tight. It works fine.

The powerstroke 3 works pretty good for a snare head but I recommend a coated ambassador or G1 with one piece of moongel. This will kill just enough overtones to give you a "fat" sound without muffling the head too much.

Or, learn to love the ring. It's what makes your snare sound loud and lively and cut through the band, rather than soft and dead.

The ring of a poorly tuned snare sounds obnoxious; good tuning makes the ring pleasant. Heavily muffled snare batters are a bandaid fix for poor tuning.

Or, learn to love the ring. It's what makes your snare sound loud and lively and cut through the band, rather than soft and dead.

The ring of a poorly tuned snare sounds obnoxious; good tuning makes the ring pleasant. Heavily muffled snare batters are a bandaid fix for poor tuning.

Alright, let's calm down. Premuffled heads for snares are no different than premuffled kick drum heads. You cannot deny it, PS3's, EMAD's, Superkicks, and EQ's outsell Emperors and Ambassadors for kick batters for a reason. Why is the snare any different? While there are some that are a tad bit... radical ( EMAD2, Emperor X) there are still some premuffled heads that are not just a "bandaid fix for poor tuning", but simply just there to get a different sound. I bet you can get an Aquarian Hi-Energy to sound better at certain tunings than an Ambassador (although I do love coated Ambs, use one myself). What's the difference between using a Ambassador with Moongel, considered perfectly finely tuned, with a non-gelled CS, which is obviously considered inferior by you?

I'm beginning to ramble, and I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to start something, I just disagree with you, DTD.

Back