Diplomat or ambassador UNDER coated pinstripes? HELP!

cDark3r

Hi im 14 years old and im planning to buy some new drum heads. i have never changed a single tom head. my father bought his drum set like seven years ago and i have been playing since then.(yes i dont own a drumkit. my father does. but im the only one playing) But after seven years of hard hitting the toms sounds dead. The reso heads are some stock pearl ones and the batter heads are clear pinstripes. So heres the thing i discovered jojo mayer like a year ago and i have changed my playing style radical. witch means i hit "normal" instead of hard.

So that brings me to my point. i have decided to go with the coated pinstripes this time but. what reso heads should i use? i cant decide if i should go with ambassadors or diplomat. (clear ofc)
i DONT want my toms to sound BOOIING! more like a bit of dark, deep and not a ton of sustain. the ambassadors are thicker so would they would be the right way to go?

Sorry for my bad english. Im from Sweden and im "only" 14 years old.

Pinstripes should take care of the dark, deep, short sound no matter what head you put underneath. Ambassadors or equivalents are the industry standard tom reso. Diplomats are thinner, so you get a brighter, shorter, thinner sound. I don't think I personally know anybody who uses them as resonant heads. Jojo probably uses something closer to an Ambassador (Evans G1, Aquarian TC) on the batter side as well, something to consider. They will open up and sound fuller at lower dynamics than Pinstripes. There are many threads about head choices. Go with whatever heads you want, the most important thing is to learn how to tune them. Search for Bob Gatzen on YouTube, he has great videos on tuning!

I think Jojo uses Evans G1's top and bottom these days. That's a totally good combination too. Or a G2 on top and a G1 on the bottom. Both work really well. G1's are like Remo Ambassadors, and G2's are like Remo Emperors.

If you ask me, I'd say put black dots top and bottom. Everyone will think you're cutting edge ;)

Pinstripes should take care of the dark, deep, short sound no matter what head you put underneath. Ambassadors or equivalents are the industry standard tom reso. Diplomats are thinner, so you get a brighter, shorter, thinner sound. I don't think I personally know anybody who uses them as resonant heads. Jojo probably uses something closer to an Ambassador (Evans G1, Aquarian TC) on the batter side as well, something to consider. They will open up and sound fuller at lower dynamics than Pinstripes. There are many threads about head choices. Go with whatever heads you want, the most important thing is to learn how to tune them. Search for Bob Gatzen on YouTube, he has great videos on tuning!

Thanks for the quick answer! The local music store dont sell EVANS heads and barely no stores does here in sweden so i have to go with REMO. And i will probably go with the ambassadors for reso then. Thanks once again!

Back