BrendenMiller

I haven't heard much about the stock heads that Sonor kits come with. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I was planning on buying a Sonor 2007, and was hoping to get a double pedal, but if I have to buy new heads for the set I won't have enough for the pedal. If I buy new heads, I would get Evans G2's for batter and G1's for reso. Would those make a whole lot of a difference? I prefer a somewhat muffled tone to my toms.
Thanks!

When I bought a 3007 a couple of years ago it came with the cheaper Remo UT heads from China and I quickly replaced them with emperors and ambassadors. The drums definitely sound better with good quality heads. I would forego the pedal for now and get new heads.

This of course, only refers to their cheaper kits coming out of China. Once you step into the ProLite and SQ2 world, those already come with quality heads - but you do pay a much higher price.

.... I prefer a somewhat muffled tone to my toms.
Thanks!

A set of e rings will get you there for around $10 (USD) while you save up for new heads.
You might even like the sound enough that you'll pass on new heads.
If those stock heads are like the heads on other less expensive kits, they're not horrible, and are usable if you know how to tune up your drums.

Chinese stuff has the Remo UTs (garbage) made in China, the German stuff has the US made Remo stuff. I take em all off for new Evans anyhow...I have two sets of Sonor logo heads that are US made if youre interested.

F

Back