Best Heads For Metal Drumming

Kaleta

I'm looking into getting new heads, and I want a good sound for metalcore/ post-hardcore etc... My kit specs are 14" snare, 10", 12" toms, 14" floor tom, and 20" bass. It is an un-mic'ed pearl forum. I am using black suede ambassadors on the batter side, and stocks on the reso, and those just arent cutting it for the sound I want. Any suggestions?

I usually have a look and see what some of my fav metal drummers use, Chris Adler uses Aquarian - Clear Response 2 on his Toms, Clear Superkick on bass and Coated Hi-Energy on the batter side and classic clear on the snare side. Hope this helps :)

The biggest thing is thickness of the heads. In metal, most of the time you are going to be hitting harder, in my experience. I am about to try out the Evans G2 clears. A lot of heavy hitting drummers use them, and they have a great punch from what I hear. Might even go with the ones that have the built in dampeners, although I have moongel pads, so I might just get the plain G2's so I can have them ring.

I am getting them because Mike Portnoy uses clear G2's a lot, and his tom tones are my favorite. Try either those, or a remo powerstroke.

You should try the Aquarian Triple Threat snare head. It has 3 plies and is made for hard rock and metal.

Back