BEST headphones for DRUMMING!?

valentin002

this is my list of headphones for drumming, not for mixing or whatever... its for acoustic drumming. which oneyou think is the best? thanks.

1-Sony MDR-7506

2-Sony MDR-7509

3-Beyerdynamic DT-770 M

4-Shure SRH 440

5-Sennheiser HD 280 PRO

6-Extreme Isolation EX29

Get 10 dollar in-ear buds from Best Buy. Then go to a gun store and buy hearing protection headphones---the max -DB phones. Put the in-ear buds on, put shooting headphones on top. Good thing is that some cheap buds do not sound bad---but some sound horrible. Just return the ones that sound like poop. If they break, just buy another pair. Easy. It's what I use to record with. Also, turn up your overhead mikes when recording. That way, you can play more dynamically and it's easier to hear your drums tone.

And you do not have to crank the volume at all for play alongs. Your hearing will stay nice and fresh.

Get 10 dollar in-ear buds from Best Buy. Then go to a gun store and buy hearing protection headphones---the max -DB phones. Put the in-ear buds on, put shooting headphones on top. Good thing is that some cheap buds do not sound bad---but some sound horrible. Just return the ones that sound like poop. If they break, just buy another pair. Easy. It's what I use to record with. Also, turn up your overhead mikes when recording. That way, you can play more dynamically and it's easier to hear your drums tone.

And you do not have to crank the volume at all for play alongs. Your hearing will stay nice and fresh.

That's what I do. Though I know folks here speak highly of certain headphones.
My in-ear buds where about $35. I use my son's headphones that he used to take to the gun range.

I use the Sennheisers. They are the perfect balance between isolation and loudness. You can play with them on nd still hear yourself. But you cannot hear someone talking to you a few feet away. I've owned mine for over 2 years now and they still work great!

For the money I can't say enough about my Shure se215's. In ear style, so they isolate well.

Not for everyone but they work for me!

At three of my drum "stations" I use the Shure SRH 440 headphones, but I'm using the SRH 840 ear pads on these. These ear pads are more comfortable and have better isolation than what the 440 pads have. At another station I'm using Sennheiser 280 Pros and at my fifth station I'm using Audio Technica ATH-M50. If I need talk back, I'll use a pair of Beyer DT109 with a side mic attached.

I also own the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros, Sony MDR V6, Sony 7506, Shure SRH 840 and KRK 8400 which all remain in the control rooms.

Of those mentioned above, I like the Shure 840 headphones about the best. Second in line would be the Shure SRH 440 with the 840 pads. The 440's are much lighter in weight with great sensitivity and still has a good flat frequency response with nice isolation.

Dennis

I own

Beyer DT770 Pro

Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Audio Technica ATH-M30

AKG K280

Monster Beat by Dr Dre.

And several in-ears.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 are my clear favourites - comfy and great punchy, but also neutral sound.

thx

jorn

I use high quality ear buds and put a pair of high SPL ear defenders over top. Works like a charm.

Of those options I've only used #5 and #6.

The extreme isolation headphones are pretty good, not as good as my new ultra phones though. The 280's don't isolate much, don't bother with them.

Also I do things a little differently to everyone else in the thread. Sometimes I wear cheap headphones over my moulded musicians earplugs (using -15db filter). I love my ultra phones but anything resembling shooting range ear protectors can get a bit hot and constricting in long sessions.

Whenever I'm just jamming at home by myself, I just put on some Bose headphones, and they work really well for me.

At a venue, I use JH16 in-ear monitors.

I really like the skullcandy hesh series. They're amazing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 7,426
At a venue, I use JH16 in-ear monitors.
You lucky man!
At home, I use a pair of Shure E2's - very good at cutting out outside noise. When I'm playing a bigger kit, loud, or with a band at rehearsal, sometimes I'll throw a pair of gun range noise isolating headphones over them as well.
Don't mess up your ears! It's not worth it!

None, go with in ears, better comfort and isolation, stay in place better, plus they dont sweat and look much more professional.

I love these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360535370&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+headphones+extra+bass Big and comfy! They don't isolate TOO much so I can still hear my kit over the music.

715354.jpg

Back