Drum cover with Yamaha PHX

kaide

I just bought this used Yamaha PHX kit and wanted to test it with studio miking. I read many threads from this forum about PHX and had those for testdrive over a month. After changing new heads it really started to sound good...so here's Charlie Puth - How Long cover with Yamaha PHX and Longo solid cherry snare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh289pPN2vo

The sound is great but to me it sounds more like EQ than the true tom sound

Great playing and drum sound. I've seen some of your videos before. Like em a lot!

The sound is great but to me it sounds more like EQ than the true tom sound
There's actually very little eq, just a little top end. I have a 200-300 ms gate on toms but nothing else. But I agree it sounds like it was heavily mixed :) Snare is the only drum with some 0,6 seconds plate reverb, other drums are dry except a little reverb on overheads.

Your drums and your playing sound great Kai, also your tom head comparison video was also top notch and that Brady kit sounded sweet too. Thanks for sharing.

Love the groove and your tasty fills. The kit sounds great, and the snare is killer. Is that a Longo? I couldn't quite see the badge well enough to tell, but that what it looked like. I also noticed you're not using a ride. Is it just not setup for this video, or do you not use one period? Seems like a weird question, but I know the drummer for The Subways doesn't use a hi nat, so I suppose anything is possible.

Last edited:
Love the groove and your tasty fills. The kit sounds great, and the snare is killer. Is that a Longo? I couldn't quite see the badge well enough to tell, but that what it looked like. I also noticed you're not using a ride. Is it just not setup for this video, or do you not use one period? Seems like a weird question, but I know the drummer for The Subways doesn't use a hi nat, so I suppose anything is possible.
Thanks TK-421! Yes that's a Longo 14x5,5 solid cherry with a very cutting tight sound. There's not ride because I thought that I won't need it and I had just setup the kit without cymbals so I only added what I needed for this song.

Great playing ! It's true that it sounds a lot EQ'ed (bass and toms), but it totally fits the music style :), as is your groovy drumming.

that was terrific. Great playing, and the toms sound perfect to me. THat's how I picture perfect toms sound.

i'm with the sounds great crowd too. Your playing is top notch also. Very nice video.

Superb playing, Sir, and the sound is tremendous!

There's actually very little eq, just a little top end. I have a 200-300 ms gate on toms but nothing else. But I agree it sounds like it was heavily mixed :) Snare is the only drum with some 0,6 seconds plate reverb, other drums are dry except a little reverb on overheads.

I thought the same as Grunter. I was thinking I wish it wasn't so saturated but as it turns out maybe the drums are just so damn good.

Phenomenal drumming. Not over played, tight, great fills. Also the setup is very tasty. I never got used to two floor toms, but the simplicity of the cymbals and the quality of the drums is nice.

Back