Travis Barker

Travis Barker is an awesome drummer and for people to say that he is not versatile and that he only plays punk music is crap. he is very musical and plays a lot of hip-hop, his drumming is featured with some of todays hottest artists. If you think he's over rated, "who cares" he is not a self absorbed person what-so-ever and never suggested that he was the greatest or fastest drummer. He is doing his job and that is to play drums.

Yeah he has played for the game, rhianna, Expensives tastes, Rich boy, Pharrell, etc...plus he also played a country thing at some country awards show..he isn't versatile is complete bs

Whoa, you mean he actually mimmicked someone knocking on a door with his drums? WOW! He is a genius!

Sorry... Bad mood... No love this morning.

It's not so much that he is making a realistic sound fx with his instrument. Even I stuck with the drum long enough to learn how to make the sound of gunfire...and who didn't look nervously around the first time they heard the French Horn sound like an elephant?

No, for this, its the fact that the volume and the timing of the knock-effect occurs at the point in the song where the kid inside the room needed someone to show up at the door and knock, which they did, and yet he still missed it because the music was too loud for him to detect the knock..

Had he done it in a song about raping a 23,000 year old Ice princess over a bloodstained field of self-sacrificed virgins (silly Norwegian death metal bands) then it's not interesting in the least bit. Had he done it during a "quiet" spot in the song, it becomes an obvious trick and loses a large measure of its eventual effect.

But right there, the simple song becomes something much more allegorical by not only comparing the loneliness of a suicidal teenager to the loneliness of a young band on the road but also in demonstrating how the isolation between parents and their children or between teenagers and their peers (or between a band and their audience – tre` PF) might not be as explicit as it appears.

It's possible that the isolation is the result of one player reaching out in a manner inconsistent with the expectation of the other party. The outsider felt like the unanswered knock was a sign that Adam didn’t wish to be bothered. The insider didn’t hear the knock because he has his music on 11, expecting his potential savior to break the door down rather than politely knock first and then leave when the knock went unanswered.

The eventual destruction of the distressed party, be it Adam in the song or Blink-182 on the road or Pink Floyd at, well, any moment Roger Water’s opens his mouth could have been stopped had both sides learned to communicate effectively in the first place. At that point, the tragedy of the result is markedly underscored by the fact that a missed knock on the door, or a 10-month tour, or the demands of an audience conflicting with an internal struggle with the death of your father did not need to become the proverbial “straw that broke the camels back”.

Something like that anyway….

And that is why using that technique, right there in Adam’s Song, allows the snare to transcend being a mere instrument and become an affectation of the very story it helped to create.

Last edited:
I find Travis Barker slightly boring, I don't see anything really unique in his style of drumming like I do with other drummers. Ok so he has been in a marching band, but then again, his technique against drummers such as Jojo Mayer and Virgil Donati differs completely! I think Travis Barker is a very adverage drummer.

Sorry for comparing but I couldnt find any other way of putting it!

I find Travis Barker slightly boring, I don't see anything really unique in his style of drumming like I do with other drummers. Ok so he has been in a marching band, but then again, his technique against drummers such as Jojo Mayer and Virgil Donati differs completely! I think Travis Barker is a very adverage drummer.

Sorry for comparing but I couldnt find any other way of putting it!

I have to agree. Just because he has been in marching band doesnt mean he is any better of a drumset player. Drumset and Marching snare require totally different techniques to get what is best from the instrument.

I would like to be $1million poorer than him...love the guy or not, he is extremely popular with the nondrumming, cd buying community....and isn't that where most of us would wanna be??? Apart from the few who would rather be Elvin, starving in a garret for 'the music'...??

I would like to be $1million poorer than him...love the guy or not, he is extremely popular with the nondrumming, cd buying community....and isn't that where most of us would wanna be??? Apart from the few who would rather be Elvin, starving in a garret for 'the music'...??

Haha, wouldn't have taken you for a sellout.

Haha, wouldn't have taken you for a sellout.
I'm 44, living with my wonderful wife and 2 pain in tha a** kids on a student grant of £550/$850 a month for my nursing studies....I'd sleep with you for a pack of cigarettes hunny....

Travis Barker is good. He is good for the music he plays. I can be honest and say that its not my type of drumming style, but I do respect for his skills.
The reason he has a tv show is all about $$$... Kids love Blink 182, hes married (or was) to a model, so Networks like Mtv will do anything and everything to create buzz around a tv showt hat will make them money, and gain the interest of kids. Why not there smart!
Drummers, musicians, all over the world know the likes of Gadd, Chambers, Weckl, etc.
They do not need a tv show to make them popular...

Brynner

I have to agree. Just because he has been in marching band doesnt mean he is any better of a drumset player. Drumset and Marching snare require totally different techniques to get what is best from the instrument.
i have to disagree..
listen to Box Car Racer "cat like thief" and "watch the world"..
and then delete you're dumb posts

i have to disagree..

Listen to anything by Jojo Mayer - who hasn't studied marching drumming, then listen to Travis. Then delete your stupid posts.

i have to disagree..

No thank you. Ill keep them in minf though incase I ever want to bludgeon myself to death with a hammer as my ears oozed with blood.

Travis Barker is an awesome drummer and for people to say that he is not versatile and that he only plays punk music is crap. he is very musical and plays a lot of hip-hop, his drumming is featured with some of todays hottest artists..

He's made remixes and worked with artists from avril lavigne to Rihanna to Paul Wall. Hes even played with some country artists (look it up on youtube). Lately barkers been turning normal rap songs into rock remixes. I lovveeeee hearing his rock remixes. Theyre so tight

for me, he's a good drummer, not an excellent drummer..
i believe he is overrated.. but.. he's gone places most drummers would love to be... and in his style he is not that bad.. the guy has my respect, but i don't admire his drumming skills as i do with drummers like vinnie.

I have to agree. Just because he has been in marching band doesnt mean he is any better of a drumset player. Drumset and Marching snare require totally different techniques to get what is best from the instrument

i have to disagree..

Actually if you take off your TB worship glasses you'd see what Brittc89 wrote is very true....

I played for my college pep band at the football games and when I first joined I was very intimidated by the incredible technique the snare drummers had....however when it was time for the teacher to decide who got the number one drum seat on the kit he picked me cause their feel and coordination was really lacking....

He's a good drummer, I think his drumming was the driving force of blink-182 more than the guitar or bass playing. He's probably the most talented member of blink 182.

Back