can people recommend me some electronic drums please.

Ibik247

hey guys,

first of all hey, i have never played drums before but i'd like to learn the drum.

I would like to buy some electronic drums as i know that acoustic drums can be very loud.

I'm willing to spend £400 at most.

Thank you very much!

Diamond Electric Drums, made in the UK are excellent.

http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/

For what you are looking to spend though I'd probably go for a used Roland you might just scrape in for a TD9 especially if you can stretch the budget a bit. If you need hardware included in your 400pound you might need to go back to a TD4

Not sure about your dollar/pound figure (i.e., what you can get for it in your country), but I would recommend Yamaha (probably used DTXpress IV V2)...I've owned and currently play both major brands top kits (td-20sx and DTX900)...the yamaha's sound samples are better and their kits are more reasonable than roland...

It's a bit outside your budget, but you might want to look at the Traps E500. It would be worth the extra cash for the full size mesh pads. They feel very good and are very quiet in comparison to rubber or membrane pads.

The build quality is also very good and the hardware is nice and solid.

For under $700 US I'm not sure there's alot out there that would be worth it. So you should probably ask yourself why you would want to spend so much money on something that's ultimately not worth it? If it's the same reason we've all heard: you want to be able to practice at all hours and not disturb anybody, then I would recommend that you don't need an electronic kit. If you want to be able to practice with your mates all plugged into a mixing console and listening on headphones, a cheap electronic kit will probably be more frustrating in the long run (they all are - I've owned the then top-of-the-line Roland TD-10 and ended up hating that too. I called it my $5500 practice pad kit before I got rid of it).

If it's just to practice - I think you'd be better off with a real kit, like Sonor's Safari/Bop, or the Pearl Rhythm Traveler, add pads for the cymbals and mesh heads and you're all set for silent practice, and it'll feel more close to a real drum than anything else, aiding your technique moreso than an electronic pad.

If you want to rehearse and record with your mates, it might be cheaper just to rent a rehearsal space - you can probably rent a good three months for 400 pounds!

I managed to get a Roland TD-6V for bang on £400. I personally hate electric kits but needs must...I don't want to be kicked out of my house :-D

Good luck with your journey into drumming...you'll never escape it mwaahaha! :)

If it's just to practice - I think you'd be better off with a real kit, like Sonor's Safari/Bop, or the Pearl Rhythm Traveler, add pads for the cymbals and mesh heads and you're all set for silent practice, and it'll feel more close to a real drum than anything else, aiding your technique moreso than an electronic pad.

Yes but not very inspiring for an aspiring drummer.

Buying an acoustic kit and adding cymbal pads and replacing the heads with mesh heads kind of defeats the point. It will just end up being a "dead" uninspiring practice kit. May as well just set up some books and pillows...

I bargain shopped ebay for my electronic kit and piece one together for $380.

I have Roland V-drum rack, 3- Roland PD-8 pads, Roland KD-9 kick pad, 2- yamaha PCY65S, Alesis DMPAD hi-hat and Alesis DM5 module.

Most of the piece were in new condition, the v-drum rack was new in the box super cheap!

I'm still looking for the hi-hat pedal but I still able to play.

Yes but not very inspiring for an aspiring drummer.

Buying an acoustic kit and adding cymbal pads and replacing the heads with mesh heads kind of defeats the point. It will just end up being a "dead" uninspiring practice kit. May as well just set up some books and pillows...

I was going to sell my Roland and go down the mesh head route again but I think I'd miss an actual sound. Even if the Roland does annoy the crap out of me at least it makes a sound!

@ Drummer Sarah

Making a sound is what drumming is all about after all. ;) just like any other musical instrument

Yes we all know they're not the same as acoustic kits... (that's why they're called electric) aha. but I personally think they're an invaluable practice tool for any drummer. The onboard metronomes, recording and playback functions, etc. If you connect them up with superior drummer or similar they become even more valuable... great studio tools. Last but not least they're also great fun!! :)

i went with a roland head and non roland pads a few years back. i found i was spending so much time trying to dial the pads in so they would trigger correctly i was not playing as muxh as tinkering.

i sold it all and bought a Roland kit

look for a deal on a used complete kit, i agree Roland or YAMAHA are your best bet in my
opinion

@ Drummer Sarah

Making a sound is what drumming is all about after all. ;) just like any other musical instrument

Yes we all know they're not the same as acoustic kits... (that's why they're called electric) aha. but I personally think they're an invaluable practice tool for any drummer. The onboard metronomes, recording and playback functions, etc. If you connect them up with superior drummer or similar they become even more valuable... great studio tools. Last but not least they're also great fun!! :)

The thing I don't like...well it's a cool thing..is that they are more bouncy then real drums. It's great while you're doing it but when I go back to normal drums I can't play anything I have learnt! Also what annoys me is when a drum doesn't pick up that I've hit it. BUT I should get the manual out and turn the sensitivity up or something. I should be grateful that I have the damn thing haha!

Just been bashing away on my practice pad though. Feels more real. Bit quiet though :-D

The thing I don't like...well it's a cool thing..is that they are more bouncy then real drums. It's great while you're doing it but when I go back to normal drums I can't play anything I have learnt! Also what annoys me is when a drum doesn't pick up that I've hit it. BUT I should get the manual out and turn the sensitivity up or something. I should be grateful that I have the damn thing haha!

Just been bashing away on my practice pad though. Feels more real. Bit quiet though :-D

Yeah I know what you mean by them being 'bouncier' than real drums. That's why I fancy the Yamaha's. I don't have one at the moment but tried a few out. Will hopefully pick one up in the next few weeks. I used to have a roland spds with a roland KD-85 kick and years before that had a simmons. It never really effected me when I translated what I was doing to an acoustic kit (as horrible as the simmons felt).

Hi I'm a newbie here, but I feel this is a topic that's itching to be addressed by me.

I used acoustic drums for about 20 years and moved to Japan. Cant practice here due to the noise issue, so I pretty much gave up for over a decade.

About a year ago I discovered V-Drums (Roland) and I immediately tried them out and bought them same day.... The mesh skins are so lifelike to play that I feel like im playing a regular acoustic kit (aside from the obvious noise reduction and the pads being considerably smaller than a real tom. The cymbals are pretty lifelike, and the changeover from real drums to electronic drums was pretty swift and painless.

So, go for mesh heads on an electronic kit, such as roland 4 or roland 9. You wont regret it.

Upsides are...

1) You can practice pretty much anytime of the day or night without cops banging on the door about the noise. A person can sleep even in the next room...

2) The kit is smaller and easier to squeeze into a room - good for people flatting or at home with the bedroom allotted for such items. Lighter for transportation.

3) The kits have reasonably versatile sound-banks and presets, so you can pick a preset kit or do what I do - create your own custom kits.

4) Criminals in the area don't know you have musical instruments in the house, reducing the risk of theft. (This was an issue in my old neighborhood - I just thought Id mention it as a point)

5) Second hand kits can be relatively cheap if you ont mind a bit of wear and tear.

6) You can connect your ipod and jam to tracks you love, and mix the volumes so you can hear the music alongside your playing.

7) Inbuilt metronome, recording function for any home studio music projects or internet based projects (just press record and that's it)

8) People in the neighborhood cant hear how terrible you are when you first start practicing hahaha

The list goes on. Mesh head electronic kit. I 100% recommend it. They changed my life.

If you want to hear my kit, go to my You-tube channel - there's many drum covers... http://www.youtube.com/user/HeisW140 and with the right tweaking, your kit can sound pretty real indeed.... and its not difficult to do. 100s of kits in one package.

And you can modify the drum kit to suit the band youre jamming to - I always change the snare and hats to match the drummer im covering. Pretty easy too ;-)

Hope my input helps ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/HeisW140

Shihad!
Top band.

Your dog loves the drumming lol.

Your playing is tight.

So many youtubes with averge drummers (still learning) that put up videos and you listen and think Ew these e-drums aint that good.

More the players not the edrums.

Perfect for metal with the kicks and when the guitarist while you aint looking turns up the volume knob you can say"AHA! I have one of those too!!!!!! (evil grin)

Tips for recording

"could you tune your snare up?"

"OK (makes tinkly noises resembling turing a drum")

"that's better"

LMAO

True story.

Wouldn't get away with it these days.

You would have to sneak into the studio at 2am to catch the engineer redhanded using drum replacement software to make the snare sound he wants LOL.

Evil buggers.

Last edited:
Im new here but I think I can help out!
I learned how to play on a Roland HD-1 kit.
I played it for about 3 years and then bought a full size acoustic drum kit.
An electric kit is great for learning, but once you get a acoustic kit, you'll never wana go back!
After buying the acoustic kit, the neighbors asked how I had learned to play drums so well in one day haha I told them I'v been playing for several years but was using an electric kit.

One thing you have to remember is that you can't really gig with electric kits, not much people will take you seriously if you do..

In my opinion, if you buy a relatively small acoustic kit and use dampening pads, you can get it as quiet as an electric one, and for the others in the house, listening to an actualy beat instead of the "tuds" produced by the electric kit is more pleasing, or at least my parents think :)
feel free to ask questions

Back