Mapex Falcon Pedal

Metamega

Searched here for some post but saw nothing really on it. Anyone ever played these? They don't have any at the two music shops here. I can order one in but it'd be nice to get some feedback from fellow drummers. Found some info and demo's but most is from endorsers so you know, you think it may be biased a bit.

I bought a mapex meridian maple a couple weeks ago, upgrading from my westbury kit and I am impressed with the quality/price the mapex offered and am kind of a big fan now of mapex. Interested in getting a solid single kick. The mapex came with a single chain P700 with a three sided beater. Nice little pedal. I own a set of gilbratar avenger 6611DB which I rarely use except for some metal jamming and fun but much enjoy more high hat stuff.

I know the norm seems to be DW pedals and the Pearl Demon drivers and Tama's speed/iron cobra's.

Just wondering what ya'll think of the falcon. I like how you can switch it to a direct drive by just buying the drive. It's just two screws according to mapex's site so that'd be interesting.

Hi Metamega

Well there's a few threads which talk about the Mapex Falcon, use the search options...

I talked about it recently in another thread so I'll do a copy & paste from that thread:

I played 28 years with the Tama Camco, 6 years with 2 single pedals and 22 years with a double pedal, the Camco is a light chain driven pedal that's fast and effortless to play with, and even that it's an old design you can make some adjustements on it. I never had any problems with these pedals until a couple months ago when I had trouble with the slave pedal, it went suddenly not smooth at all and was making noises, the bearings were worn out!

I played for a month with just one pedal, and I liked it very much, especially with the challenge of doing some of the double bass patterns with one foot.

In the meantime, I was looking for a new pedal, I always wanted to try some of these Iron Cobras, but which one? Rolling Glide? Power Glide? Flexi Glide? Speed Cobra?, the cams on these pedals produce a different feel when you play them. And in the shop, you can't really tell if it's suitable for you by playing 10-15 minutes on a rubber pad... you need to play it on your kit.

I read a few review about the Mapex Falcon, I decided to try it in a shop and it felt very similar to all the Cobras. The fact that the Falcon comes with 2 drive systems, chains or strap (like the Flexi Glide), 2 different cams, Glide (like the Roller Glide) or Pursuit (like the Power Glide) as well as interchangeable weights (10-20g) for the beater and a long footboard made it my choice. I had the feeling that I was buying all 3 Cobras in one pedal.

I'm really happy with the Falcon, and funny enough after 28 years of chain driven pedal, I use the strap as the drive system and I love it.

Metamega, let me know if you need specific info of this pedal...

Well I'm looking for a serious pedal. Something that just feels like its part of me. All these high end pedals look so complicated with adjustments And footboards. I want something simple and solid. This falcon looks like its got the important stuff. It looks light and thin. Just wondering how it performed out of the box.

I think I will be buying one of these in a couple of weeks.

i have a similiar story. I switched from DW 9000's to the falcons after buying my saturns. The falcons are super solid and quiet. The longer board also allows me to maneuver my foot around easier. I'm very happy with the direct drive. It has a more sensitive feel but still retains a little of a chain feel. I wouldn't classify them as being a light pedal in comparison to the Axis or trick pedals. If your looking for a solid pedal without breaking the bank, these are a great choice imo. I paid 380.00 with the direct drive attachments for the double. My 600.00 dollar 9000's are now my practice pad pedals.

Well I'm looking for a serious pedal. Something that just feels like its part of me.

You'll have to try lots of pedals with differents cams, different drive modes, they all feel differents, choose the one that suits you playing...

All these high end pedals look so complicated with adjustments And footboards.

It looks complicated on some pedals, but when you start adjusting them, it's moore obvious and more easy to see what does what on the pedal. Most modern pedals will have the standard adjustements these days, the Falcon is no exception... it has all the ingredients to "customize" your settings.

Having the adjustements is a good thing, it allows you to choose a setting on the pedal that will suit your playing.

I want something simple and solid. This falcon looks like its got the important stuff. It looks light and thin. Just wondering how it performed out of the box.

The Falcon is a solid pedal and of high quality, it's not as light as my old Tama Camco, but it is way much smoother and fluid, with plenty of suppleness.

Out of the box, it was smooth and powerful, but I had to try the options given with the pedal (that's the key factor which made me choose this pedal). All the options possible gave me a very different feel while playing.

Hope this helps.

Back