is it true about G2s? help!

My Gretsch Fullrange maple came with a G1 and it works great. Normally I'm an Ambassasor guy on snares. The G1 is a bit livelier although on the Gretsch it has almost no ring. It feels like the Evans is slightly thinner or something. I've heard other snares with it on there and it's very lively and you will get some ring.

G2 coated on the toms of the last 3 kits I've had. Played with various things on them but keep coming back to the G2s.

Thanks Aeolian. Will check out the G1. I just checked out a vid with a guy playing on a G1 on a chrome snare and he got a nice trashy ring. Saw another vid where there was almost no ring. I have a vintage wood snare (no one knows what it is) so I'm guessing it will react more like your Gretsch.

I put an Aquarian Jack DeJohnette head on one of my Sonor artist series snares yesterday. I am stunned at how great it sounds. I'd grab that Aquarian stock were I the OP. I am going to outfit my new kit with Aquarians.

I am baffled by all the people having issues with Remo heads. Maybe I've been lucky, but I think I've only had maybe 2 bad heads in 20+ years of playing.

On the other hand, I've had Evans heads pop out of the collar, rip, etc... and I am NOT a heavy hitter. Solid, but not heavy. I'm sure they make good heads - I just gave up on them after destroying a couple of snare heads mid song.

As for the coating, Yes - the Remo coating does not last as long - but I prefer the way it feels vs. the Evans coating. The Evans coating is rougher feeling for lack of a better description - and I just can't get used to it.

I also think Evans heads are less "alive" at lower tunings... but that's just my opinion - and you know what they say about that ;-)

Ebay is a great place to buy heads from overseas if you have 1 particular brand/head you like. And I switched from remo to evans about a year ago, I am never going back, the difference in quality is massive from what I have noticed

I've heard that as well - that Dupont makes the mylar for both Remo and Evans heads (among others) but also that Dupont owns Remo, and Remo and Evans aren't friendly with each other. The sheets that Dupont mylar is made into are pretty wide and are most consistent up the middle with the most variation in thickness toward the edges of the sheet.

Allegedly Remo (and Aquarian) gets the center cuts and Evans gets the edge cuts, so from a mylar perspective (what else is there?) Evans are inferior right outta the gate.

This info came to me from a long-time drum shop owner who said that Evans are pushed at drumshops because their wholesale prices are much cheaper so the profit margins are a lot higher (retail pricing being about the same as Remo).

Anyway, my G2s have been on my toms for 3 years. If I tried for a lower tuning, I would need to replace them for sure, but they're cranked up almost Stewart Copeland tight at the moment so the fact that they're old gives them a mellower tone at this tuning.

This actually makes sense. I could never figure why everyone was pushing Evans so relentlessly. I marched with a kevlar Evans in HS and that thing snapped in about a month. However the kevlar Remos we normally marched with (only had an Evans because we were out of Remo and I had to have a head that day) lasted the entire season, on into off season.

That's the only Evans I've personally played all the way through, so it could very well have been just a fluke. I know the G2s at the store always sound, look, and feel pretty nice, but Remo has just never given me a reason to switch. I don't know, maybe I'll give Evans a run next time I need to rehead the kit just to see. My hypothesis is both companies will be comparable and I (as well as pretty much anyone else) won't REALLY be able to tell much of a difference and it will ultimately boil down to what I'm used to.

Super kicks I think are really good heads,and they cost 45.00 50.00 U.S..if you get two or three in your sizes that would make it worth buying the whole lot,as long as you get enough heads to do your kit a couple of times with the heads you already use.I like aq's double ply heads.As far as durability/quality goes I have had remo,s Aq's and Evans where the head has split within an hour of playing,and a few go in a short period of time(less than a month) so sometimes that just happens,my guess is that sometimes the companies get a bad run of mylar,or the machinery gets out of calibration,for instance at the end of a run.

Back