Dave McClain

Honketonk

Didn´t found a threat about him and I think he deserves one ! ;-)

IMO an amazing, fast drummer of my favorite band, Machine Head ! Seen them about 10 times live now and can´t wait to see them again on december 1st in Cologne with Trivium, Arch Enemy and the mighty Shadows Fall !

Hmm...´nuff said so far... just a few pics though ! ^^

11.jpg

Current pic of their Black Tyranny Tour through the US
651952983_l.jpg

Old pic of me and Dave in Cologne 04
20041210_dave1.jpg

machineheadlive24vs7.jpg

Cologne 03

I couldn't agree more.....Dave McClain is a killer drummer. His work on The Blackening is awesome. We will be seeing Machine Head in October.......sweet!

Great drummer, I just wish he played in a band that does more for me than Machine Head.
I got the impression watching him at wembley this year that it was all easy for him. Which is a bit scary. Cool that he is so relaxed while playing though.

He isn´t THAT relaxed though, I met him a couple of times and talked to him. When playing songs like "Vim" from Through the Ashes ... he´s going pretty far to his limits.

Also his setup is cool, pretty impressing how he can play on a kit that is so much set down.

Great drummer, I've learned a lot from he approaches some quite complex melodies....ala "The Blackening"...and to lesser extent Ashes, but yeah, he's really inspired me to push myself. He plays some very tasty stuff, great drummer, and I think he's grown with the music as opposed to getting better and applying that to the music. Listen to "The More Things Change" then to "The Blackening" and u'll see what I mean.

I Think he is very good... He seems to surprise me.. Im not a big machine head fan but i would listen to them the very rare occasion and just when i think he is a bit over rated he would rip a lovely lick or pattern out of nowhere and shut me up hahaha IMO great player altho i wouldn be able to play his kit looks very uncomfortable imo

I think he now completely moved to DDRUMS, but I´m not too sure, in octobers issue of Modern Drummer I´ve seen to commercials with Dave, one with Pearl-Drums and a few pages forward then with DDRUMS !?

I was really confused about that too!!!

I was reading an interview the other day in which Dave said he felt that Pearl was not doing much for him in terms of promotion and he found that frustrating. Ddrum was offering a better deal so he made the switch.

You'll find that here: Dave Mclain interview for Drummer's Digest

You're welcome bro!

(20 characters blah blah blah)

Any idea what snare Dave uses on The Blackening record (the most recent one)?

Thanks
GNRFAN

Last edited:
Not taking anything away from Dave McClain. (And I've already posted elesewhere on the futility of comparing one drummer to another)

But Chris Kontos was totally amazing on the first album.

I think I read an article years ago by Dave, where his Mum or Nan or someone phoned him up upon hearing he'd got the Machine Head job and basically said. "Have you heard the guy you're replacing? Good luck!"

:)

It's funny, but I preferred Dave's drumming in Sacred Reich to the stuff he's doing now.

He still nails all the "Burn My Eyes" stuff live though. Oooh, just got the shivers thinking about 'Block'. Gonna put it on right now!

Dave moved to Yamaha and plays the Oak Custom sets.
He still uses DDrum for triggers.

Saw Machine Head last weekend. My GOD were they on FIRE - they absolutely crushed and Dave was killer. Such a great drummer. I was drooling over that new Oak Custom kit he's using!

Back