Pat Petrillo here!

Hey, Garvin!

Thanks for stoppin by to say Yo!

Perhaps you should check out "Hands, Grooves, & Fills", as I have TONS of hand exercises, rudiment combos using my Rudiment TAB System, plus grooves and fill applications..

Keep in touch

All the Best!

Pat
www.myspace.com/patpetrillo

Hello.

If you could only practice for 1 hour of evry day, what would your routine be?
Thanks.
// Vincent.

Last edited:
Vinnysimmo;

Thanks for the question!

What I do NOW is much different than what I did when I was getting things together in my younger days..

But, what I try to do is address a little of everything when I practice. I definitely do all my hand exercises first, then I would go over some groove combinations with various ostinato type things. Finally, I will work on soloing and fill ideas.

Basically, by addressing everything at once, nothing gets "left behind". I talked about this in the article I did in a recent issue of Modern Drummer. It's also the basis and philosophy of my DVD "Hands, Grooves, & Fills". I feel everything is connected, and you should try to tie it all together. What I work on with my hands directly effects my drum set playing in every way.

Recently, I have been rehearsing with my band (Gary Grainger and Chieli Minucci) for a new CD we are recording in the fall, so I am working on parts..grooves and such.

Hope that helps!

All the Best
Pat

Hello.
Thnk you for such a quick answer. It means a lot.
// Vincent.

Hey Pat,
thanks so much for this package.
What a great thing, I already worked through and it helped me in many ways.
Awesome!!!!!
The grooves are killa!!!!

Hey, "Loop"!

Thanks, man, and I hope it helps you alot! If you ever have questions, PM me, and maybe I can help!

All the Best

Pat

Hello Pat.
I realise that the most important part of learning and improveing is repetition, but im haveing some problems with my foot independence. So my question is, what do you think is the best way of improveing my foot independence?
Thanks.
//Vincent.

Vinny

In "Hands, Grooves, & Fills", I address this with a series of Bass Drum rhythms that improve not only independence and coordination, but timing, accuracy, and phrasing. The rhythms are accompanied by live band "Play Along" tracks to help with your feel.

Putting ostinatos with the hands over these rhythms really helped me develop these skills.

I also practice with my foot on the floor to develop consistency of motion and timing. I use the ball of my foot and lift from the knee, pushing off and returning to the floor in one motion. This is shown on the DVD as well..

Hope that helps!

All the Best
Pat

Hello Pat.
Thanks for answering back. It means a lot
// Vincent.

Hey Pat, bought your book and already in only 2 weeks it has been a tremendous help, if only I had it the past 6 years!

My question is about the set you use in the video though. I am in the market for a new kit and was going to buy the Sonor Force 3007 series, but because I have A)heard great things about GMS and b)loved the way they sound on the DVD, I decided due to budget constraints to get a nice set of Paiste Twenty series cymbals and 2 custom snares from DW forums members.

On the GMS website, it mentions that you play the CL line series which I found hard to believe because I thought you said your drums were made of Ash, and only the SE and GM series are supposedly in ash? If that is the CL line, then damn that is really good for what is considered their "lesser" series.

Hey, Nineball

Thanks very much, and I'm glad you getting alot out of the DVD/Book!

I played the White Ash kit on the DVD. When I teach at The Collective, the Studio I am in has a CL Series kit, and it does sound very good. Maple shells.

All the Best

Pat

Hey, Nineball

Thanks very much, and I'm glad you getting alot out of the DVD/Book!

I played the White Ash kit on the DVD. When I teach at The Collective, the Studio I am in has a CL Series kit, and it does sound very good. Maple shells.

All the Best

Pat

Thought so, I REALLY like the sound of the ash drums. Two more quick questions about GMS: Is there any difference between the SE and GM editions besides the lugs (mostly soundwise) and what was that finish you had in the DVD?

Oh and by the way, your rudiment tab system is the best thing to ever happen to me haha.

Nine

Glad you like the Rudiment TAB System! Are you listening to the MP3 CD to help? Is it clear or you?

Yes, the Ash is cool, mix between Birch and Maple.

No difference in the GMS other than lugs

Hope that helps.

Pat

Nine

Glad you like the Rudiment TAB System! Are you listening to the MP3 CD to help? Is it clear or you?

Yes, the Ash is cool, mix between Birch and Maple.

No difference in the GMS other than lugs

Hope that helps.

Pat

Yep, it works perfectly, I just created a separate playlist in iTunes and use that. Like you, I have a much, much easier time playing by ear rather than reading music.

Pat,

I heard from one of my students that the Just Drums clinic was awesome! Sorry I couldn't hook up with you this time - I had to play shows that night. We'll have to get together the next time you're in town. I've been using your book with my students and they love it, especially the Rudimental Tab System. Keep in touch!

Jeff

Hi, Jeff

Yes, it was very well attended, and everyone had fun. Hope to be back in Richmond soon!

Pat

Hey Pat
Just got your dvd/book as a birthday gift from my daughter ( I knew I'd done a good job raising her! ) It's just what I needed as I've been getting away with murder for the past 30 odd years. I've recently apprehended myself, been tried and found guilty and sentenced to starting from scratch. I've suffered Carpal Tunnel through bad technique (happily sorted with surgery) and only actually learned more than a handful of rudiments over the past couple of years. Your dvd is the kick up the arse I needed at this point and makes sense of stuff I've been having problems with but I would like to ask one question. Whilst playing are you actually aware of each individual rudiment you use BEFORE you play it or are they so familiar to you they just happen. It may sound like a strange question but as p.diddles, d.strokes etc are still quite new to my playing I find I'm ultra aware of them and the anticipation I feel before using them can often spoil their execution.
Thanks and it's good to finally have your stuff available here in the UK.
All the best.
Steve Williams.
www.budgie.uk.com
www.myspace.com/budgieofficialmyspace

Hi, Pywacket

Your question is an EXCELLENT one, and I thank you so very much for purchasing my Book/DVD package. I really hopes it makes you not only a better drummer & musician, but makes drumming more FUN and enjoyable in general..

So....As I mentioned on the DVD, I have been playing combinations like these for a longtime, since age 10 or so, so it is a "muscle memory" type of thing. So, once you memorize these, and start putting them together with the TAB System, you too will be able to plat these effortlessly. The short phrases first, then longer ones. A goal would be to memorize each of the solos in the combo sections.

The memorization process means they will come second nature. I do not really think of them before I play them, necessarily, but more or less "at that moment", that is the "rhythmic phrase" I am hearing in my head. As you will hear on the MP3 CD, each of these phrases have a definitive "melody", so that's what should be going on as you're playing..So as you play along to the CD, hear the phrase, and let it help you learn the pattern.

I truly believe that once you start playing and memorizing these solos, you'll be putting your OWN combos together soon. And isn't that really what we all want to do??

As for the grooves...the same thing applies. Learn them by reading them in the book, or watching the DVD, then try to memorize them as you practice with the Play Along CD. That way you are really just relying on muscle memory, and relaxing as you're playing the groove.

All the best, my friend, and thanks for spreading the word in Jolly 'Ol England! Hope to be out for a clinic soon! (hint hint..ask your dealer..hint, hint :)

Let me know how you are making out!

Pat

Thank you Pat.
Let me know when your coming over and I'll get onto some people I know who regularly stage clinics in the UK. You'd blow em away!
Thanks again.

Back