Boom Stand Choices

TableMuncher

Hey everyone,
Just came back from band practice and my boom stand holding my ride decided to sheer off halfway through practice, luckily no damage occured to my kit or cymbal!

But its kinda scared me, I only had a cheap stand but it seemed fairly sturdy, but now I need to replace it, and I'm a bit weary of just buying a stand without getting some feedback or opinions, My ride is a Meinl MB20 Heavy and I need something that can hold the weight of it without me having to worry.
I have my ride extended quite far out of the boom so its close to me above the Bass drum.

I've been looking at Mapex stands, because everything I own from them I'm very impressed with and the pricing seems decent, but I'm open to suggestions :)

As I said I'm a bit weary of buying something that won't last, and I need some feedback or opinions.

TM

Mapex gear, while being pretty expensive by my terms..is incredibly durable. They don't get much tougher.

Look for used Mapex stands.

Good Luck

The SP boom stands are actually pretty solid. Just dont overtighten them. Musicians Friend has two packs for $60. Very good deal

thanks for the advice guys, I'm being a bit silly with this thread, I know that most stands will be durable enough, just having my old stand sheer off in my hand scared me a little bit as I dont want to damage anything important by being cheap.

TM

where exactly did the stand break?
Did a bolt fail or did a tube break?

I have a selection of Yamaha and Mapex boom stands, they're great!
My Yamaha double braced stand was REALLY cheap brand new!

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=VlsbT-jkGsnG8gPLheyhCw&sqi=2&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAg

On my other kit (my dads actually) he's got Tama Roadpro cymbal stands, which are REALLY heavy but pretty well priced. He got his used, but the are incredible! I wouldn't use them for practice or gigging unless I had a few roadies though...

My best bets are the Yamaha or Mapex 500/700 cymbal stands. I use the 700's on my kit, practically DW's. They're medium weight and really sturdy, the Yamaha one is REALLY light but it's sturdy as! Loads of Yamaha endorsers use them live and they sure last longer than any other stand.

It sheered off on the piece that connects the boom tilter to the stand, ill try and upload a picture in the morning.

TM
Thank you, I asked because it is very unusual for a stand to break.
It is most often a bolt that breaks or gets the threads ripped out.
Those problems can be repaired for just a few dollars.

My meridian maples came with their 700 series hardware. Very very tough stuff. Not sure of prices on individual stands. The filters use a L handle which allows for quick and easy adjustments. All companies offer solid hardware though. I always seem to put my ride on my best stand since some of those monsters are quite heavy and usually quite extended on a boom.

I have been gigging the same Dixon hardware for over 14 years with no repairs or damage and the stands carry a crap load of weight. Quality and strength wise you can get better, price wise why pay more as they are less money than Gibraltar and built in the same plant with the same casting #'s.The only difference is the sticker and the $$.

Last edited:
not a fan of mapex hardware- i've had a 2 boom stands that both have this annoying habbit of the cymbal rotating during the gig- and it's not because the boom arm isn't tight its the thing at the end of the stand right before the adjuster beneath the cymbal- it seems as though it's screwed on with a pin through it but even screwed on tight and held with gaffa tape it still falls round- it's extremely annoying!

I have used both cheap single braced yamaha hardware that came with my first kit and a set of pearl 1000 boom stands and they are both solid as a rock!

I prefer the pearl (although being more 'bulky') because of the uni tilter on the end (which allows for a lot more adjustment rather than a socket and ratchet system which doesn't have as much flexibility) and the quick release wing nuts which are awesome!

Here's some pictures of the damage, better late than never!

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

And I just ordered a Tama Roadpro Boom, seemed pretty sturdy, a bit mroe than I wanted to spend but the little design extras like the reversable cymbal sleeve just made it worth it!

Thanks for the help :)

TM

Yea that was designed to fail for sure.
Still it is unusual for a stand to fail like that.
You won't have a problem with the Tama stand.

Ive seen that happen before, seems to be a common problem with the stans that allow the boom to go down inside the stand to also doible as a straight stand. Its just that little piece holding it instead of the whole thing.

Pearls are nice with the weights on em way overkill for me but I think they will last a long time.
Yes even with the plastic cymbal locks

Ive seen that happen before, seems to be a common problem with the stans that allow the boom to go down inside the stand to also doible as a straight stand. Its just that little piece holding it instead of the whole thing.
I have a Gibraltar cymbal arm that can double as a boom or a straight cymbal holder and the part that failed on TableMuncher's stand is twice as thick on the Gibraltar.

Back