On music videos and the like

Frost

Silver Member
I understand the need bands feel to make videos, even outside of the commercial spectrum, many metal bands make music videos purely for youtube and dvd extras.

They can be exceptional promotional material, if done right, showcasing the band, perhaps even referencing the lyrical material in order to add weight to the music.

Other times they can be absolutely completely **** (Terrible)

The amount of videos I have seen where it is just a band rocking out on some set, trying to look tough, in black and band shirts...

Can a music video actually be as artistic as the song itself?

I gave up looking for substance, or even entertainment for that matter, in music videos a while ago, but every now and then I stumble across something truly artistic which makes me wonder if music videos can indeed be truly considered art.

Holy Tears by Isis is one such example.

I just whent through my first video shoot with my band. Ever since I now see music videos differently. Performance shots are key for me because I'm now noticing a ton of bands just doing performance shots on a stage with small lights that will shine across the screen. As you said yeah, lots of black. We shot our video in a field starting at 1 am and shooting till 6am. That was the performance shot and the rest of the video was shot during the day. Our video is really commercial and saying I find the art really isn't in it anymore. When music goes commercial all aspects of the art are taken out I find. The drums on our track are all samples. I wasn't in the studio for any sessions, so it makes it very hard to put the Art back into the project. Anyways, I'm the drummer, if you want to check out our video here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsiL4Yrp5s

Take Care!
Brendan Colameco

I think videos have the potential to be art.

But too many times, they fall short.

Some videos do a really good job of telling the story of the song, and the musicians/bands behind it. Other videos, it's like wow, what the hell does that have to do with anything? And it ends up ruining the experience.

I'd rather watch a high quality live video then a staged video of a band singing with no mic with the music dubbed over the band trying to look cool. Maybe it's different with less underground videos where production costs are higher, but metal videos tend to be terrible, they are comical if nothing else and when they do show the band doing cool things musicially, they show it from angles which makes it impossible to observe properly.

Back