Dave Grohl

On the QOTSA DVD, theres some bonus footage including Grohl playing with them for a few songs. It looks like he's playing just what Top Cat said, and I'm 100% certain its a 24" ride.

Back when he was with Nirvana I know he used a 24 bass, 18 floor, 15 rack, 8x14 snare, 15 hats, 18 & 20 crashes and a 22 ride. It's probably similar (looks to me when I've seen him) although I can't be certain if his ride is now a 24.

Better band than Nirvana in the 90's? I have a few to name, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm gonna revive this thread and say Radiohead was the best band of the 90s. Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer prove that to me.

But this is a Dave Grohl thread and I'll put forth the he doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves as a drummer. I just caught some of the Foo Fighters at the Wembley concert and he hopped on the kit and played while Taylor Hawkins sang and they were joined by Page and Jones. They did Rock & Roll by Zep and he just killed. Not to mention his drumming contributions to QOST, Probot, Garbage, The Prodigy and on and on.

I think he has the kind of talent that Prince has. Songwriting, singing, multi-instrumentalist and great performer. That's rare. As others said, he just "gets" music.

Grohl rocks!

Grohl was my first influence. He is still one of my favorite drummers and musicians in general. I loved the 90's grunge sound and no one did it better than nirvana in my opinion. The music was simple but it had a message and that was what was important at that time and it still is today. Grohl didnt overplay or underplay and he did what was best for the music. Also "No one knows" by QOTSA is one of my favorite drumming songs ever. And then theres foo fighters. One of my favorite bands of all time in any genre. They play good old fashioned rock and roll and i just love it. Plus im almost positive he wrote and recorded the drum parts for all the foo albums up to and include the colour and the shape. My hero is another one of my all time favorite drum parts ever. all in all, grohl is an incredible drummer, guitarist, singer, songwriter and overall musician and he was and is a great modern rock and roller. Long live rock and roll!

btw, is it just me or do the drum parts for My hero by foo fighters and Go with the flow By QOTSA sound kinda similar? Hmm.

Okay, if Them Crooked Vultures plays your town, run - don't walk - to your nearest ticket oulet. I saw them a couple weeks ago and man, that guy had me cracking up for the first half-dozens songs. The way he hits so hard and how accurate and creative he is is just super fun to watch. I saw him drumming twice with Nirvana and once with the Foos, but this time was the best. You can just tell he LOVES playing the drums and everyone can just see that. That's why he's so ridiculously popular both inside and outside of the 'biz'.

Hell, even John Paul Jones was smiling!

Glad to hear it. Tickets in hand for their Melbourne show in Feb. Grohl and JPJ......that I have to see!!
Here's a tip for you: Dave hasn't been using a drum riser, so if your tickets are on the floor and it isn't too late, try to get yourself on a balcony or somewhere up high enough to see over the front stage monitors.

I had a couple bummed out friends who could only see the tips of his sticks as he went for his crashes.

Here's a tip for you: Dave hasn't been using a drum riser, so if your tickets are on the floor and it isn't too late, try to get yourself on a balcony or somewhere up high enough to see over the front stage monitors.

I had a couple bummed out friends who could only see the tips of his sticks as he went for his crashes.

Funny you should mention that Mike......my mate bought the tickets and got balcony seats because he thought it was the only area where we could have a drink. I complained no end that we could drink on the floor.....PLUS, we have the added bonus of being closer to the action. My tail is now firmly between my legs and I'll phone him shortly and let him know his decision has been validated!!

Thanks for the info btw.....really looking forward to it.

Cheers.

one great thing about dave's drumming that i haven't seen mentioned yet is his sense of dynamics. yes he is a hard hitter, but when a song has quiet parts, he plays them with just as much intensity, but softly. chalk that up to singing backups while playing drums, crazy but simple fills, rock solid timing and you have a super drummer and one of my musical heroes. had nirvana not have asked him to join the band, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are now in rock history.
here is a link to a show with his new project, them crooked vultures (grohl-drums/vox, john paul jones-bass/organ/vox, josh homme-guitar/vox, alain johannes-guitar/keys/vox). i'm stoked to see him behind the kit again! enjoy this as much as i did...
ACL-Them Crooked Vultures

I totally agree with Chathamight on his dynamics; (Also great link by the way). Dave really shows of his ability on the drums with the Vultures, some of the tracks on that album are just pure musical brilliance. But then i would expect nothing less considering he's playing with J.P.J. and Josh Homme who are amazing musicians in their own right. I saw them at the Hammersmith Apollo a little while back before Christmas and Dave Grohl by far is one of the best live drummers i've ever seen, and i've seen a fair few now. The passion and intensity in his playing coupled with his great sense of dynamics, speed and overall ability makes him a pure kick ass drummer and also one of my musical heroes as well.

This is just one example of the kick ass drumming that Dave shows in the Vultures. Great tune as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2XH5KrrPw8

maybe it's just me, but after hearing Them Crooked Vultures, i wish Grohl never made the Foo Fighters but continued drumming for another band.

maybe it's just me, but after hearing Them Crooked Vultures, i wish Grohl never made the Foo Fighters but continued drumming for another band.

This.

I have been a huge Foo / Dave fan for years. His first 2 albums were brilliant with Foo, and it's got worse and worse as time has gone in my opinion, but I still wne to see them and they put on a GREAT live show. This Crooked Vultures thing has been incredible though. I saw them on the tour, I've always wanted to watch Dave drum, and I finally got to do it. It's a shame that the Foos are back in the studio later this year, it means the vultures will go on hold for a while :(

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you there. I love Dave's drumming, but he's got such an immense presence as a frontman that I really think rock music would have missed out if he were to have stayed behind the drum kit all this time.

In addition, Foo Fighters brought another amazing drummer into the spotlight: Taylor Hawkins.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you there. I love Dave's drumming, but he's got such an immense presence as a frontman that I really think rock music would have missed out if he were to have stayed behind the drum kit all this time.

In addition, Foo Fighters brought another amazing drummer into the spotlight: Taylor Hawkins.

fair enough, to each their own. I must admit that i've never really been a fan of the foo fighters, while nirvana is one of my favourite bands, and it's refreshing to hear him on the Vultures. i think rock music has missed out on his drumming in the last 15 years, more so than the formation of the foo fighters. Althoug he has proved his allround musical brilliance with the foos.

this issue of modern drummer is already out ?
August2010_Cover_Othersm.jpg

Back