Joey Jordison

I can't believe Slipknot is still making music, such a gimmick.

I recently saw an interview with a couple members on Much. They were trying to explain that music shouldn't be about image and egos... as they were both dressed in full costume - jumpsuits, masks.

I dont really like slipknot, though Joey is my favourite member.

All his fills sound the same to me...

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT STUF ABOUT JOEY?!!!!!!! He is great and I love him, I can't believe you can say that about him and the greatest band ever: SlipKnoT!!!

I admit the Joey is a great drummer. He's very precise and he has some notable techniques.

But believe me when i say Slipknot does him, by no means, ANY justice.

He is way to good for them. But if he digs them. It's whatever.

I was at one point a slipknot fan. back during there first two cd's. After that everything went downhill.

slipknot sucks musicly, but joey is great and his techinique is awesome.

I didn't really like him until Psychosocial owned me.

I actually think the exact opposite about that song, it is very very simple.

When I heard it for the first time I was surprised how basic it sounded on the drums compared to some other Slipknot songs. I can play it quite comfortably and I can't say the same thing about other Slipknot songs.

I actually think the exact opposite about that song, it is very very simple.

When I heard it for the first time I was surprised how basic it sounded on the drums compared to some other Slipknot songs. I can play it quite comfortably and I can't say the same thing about other Slipknot songs.

That's the beauty of it. He doesn't over-do or over-power the track. It's not supposed to be difficult or "look what I can do!". Even though it's simple, it's powerful. It can relly get you going.

Wow! Lots of vitriol in this thread for our poor Nathan Jordison.

I'd heard his name for years. Saw the full-page adverts in Modern Drummer etc. But never really heard him play, as that genre doesn't grab my ear normally. So I went out and bought the All Hope Is Gone album on a whim. I fully expected to listen maybe once or twice and then file it. But Holy Excrement! It totally grabbed me! And this coming from a guy who listens to pretty much every genre from jazz to world and grew up on Peart.

Sure, yeah, the Slipknot style of metal is fairly narrow, but Joey freaking nails it! And the songs are pretty good too. I gather that Joey is the prime (or one of the prime) writers, so more kudos to him for that. And how much fun would it be to play a balls-to-the-wall rock solo on a huge kit turning upside down?!

It's easy to criticize people who've made it, but I hope a lot of that negative energy is put to good use during hours of practice. And, yes, I can play all those licks too (er, maybe not the all-out blastbeats), but I sure don't have the stamina to do it all night, night after night.

Go Joey!

Wow! Lots of vitriol in this thread for our poor Nathan Jordison.

I'd heard his name for years. Saw the full-page adverts in Modern Drummer etc. But never really heard him play, as that genre doesn't grab my ear normally. So I went out and bought the All Hope Is Gone album on a whim. I fully expected to listen maybe once or twice and then file it. But Holy Excrement! It totally grabbed me! And this coming from a guy who listens to pretty much every genre from jazz to world and grew up on Peart.

Sure, yeah, the Slipknot style of metal is fairly narrow, but Joey freaking nails it! And the songs are pretty good too. I gather that Joey is the prime (or one of the prime) writers, so more kudos to him for that. And how much fun would it be to play a balls-to-the-wall rock solo on a huge kit turning upside down?!

It's easy to criticize people who've made it, but I hope a lot of that negative energy is put to good use during hours of practice. And, yes, I can play all those licks too (er, maybe not the all-out blastbeats), but I sure don't have the stamina to do it all night, night after night.

Go Joey!

Thank you. That was me, I never really liked Slipknot either. But then I decided to listen to them because I here how awesome Joey is. And needless to say, I liked them both =D

I think Joey is a good drummer. I don't think he's the best or even close to being to best (in my opinion) but, I wouldn't say he's a bad drummer.

boom, chicka boom,boom, chicka boom,boom, chicka boom,boom, chicka boom,boom, chicka boom,boom, chicka boom:)

You need to contribute something to the forum besides spam and silliness, or I am sure you will get booted. I'll help.

Slipknot are terrible, there are so many superior metal bands out there, if you can even consider them metal. Joey is alright though, he's pretty average for a metal drummer though. I've never understood why he gets so much praise, perhaps it comes from people that have only listened to the more commercial metal bands and haven't had much experience with death metal or black metal.

Slipknot are terrible, there are so many superior metal bands out there, if you can even consider them metal. Joey is alright though, he's pretty average for a metal drummer though. I've never understood why he gets so much praise, perhaps it comes from people that have only listened to the more commercial metal bands and haven't had much experience with death metal or black metal.

I've never understood or cared for black or death metal. That stuff is too fringe and sounds aweful, like the cookie monster during a steroid rage.

OTOH, "All hope is gone" is an excellent cd.

I've never understood or cared for black or death metal. That stuff is too fringe and sounds aweful, like the cookie monster during a steroid rage.

OTOH, "All hope is gone" is an excellent cd.

I hear you. All these extreme black metal bands began playing faster than Slayer because 'that was the thing to do' and then start putting decapitated heads of goats on their stage, some inverted crosses and a bunch of anti-Christian pablum (Im not religious so Im not coming from that perspective) and act real evvviiilll, you know I ascared, have some Omen-esque chants, burn a church or two, added in some really noisy guitars and of course Cookie Monster on 'roid rage,. These guys took gimmicks fashioned by Venom and made their own genre. I get more pleasure from sticking my head into a cement mixer than listening to stuff like Gorgoroth.

And I LISTEN to heavy and aggressive stuff...Slayer, Napalm Death, Obituary, Kreator, etc...I LOVE Slayer, but once you get faster and 'more extreme' than them, you look almost clownish.

Youtube some of the stuff about the Norweigan Black Metal bands...laughable fools.

Re Jordison...He's a good drummer, I even like a few Slipknot songs, but nothing I want to listen to more than 2 or 3 times.

These guys took gimmicks fashioned by Venom and made their own genre.

Thing is, they took what Venom were doing as real instead of fun as it was intended and it spawned this whole sub-culture trying to be more 'evil' than the last band.

It would have been funnier if they'd have taken everything the Geordies did and instead of titles like "Hvis Lyssett Tsar Oss" or whatever, they'd had "Haddaway Man, Preese Seyrtan Like?"

Anyway, back to Joey, I think he's a good, solid drummer. Not the best evar, but his stuff fits what Slipknot are doing, and the last 2 albums have some good powerful songs.

I hear you. All these extreme black metal bands began playing faster than Slayer because 'that was the thing to do' and then start putting decapitated heads of goats on their stage, some inverted crosses and a bunch of anti-Christian pablum (Im not religious so Im not coming from that perspective) and act real evvviiilll, you know I ascared, have some Omen-esque chants, burn a church or two, added in some really noisy guitars and of course Cookie Monster on 'roid rage,. These guys took gimmicks fashioned by Venom and made their own genre. I get more pleasure from sticking my head into a cement mixer than listening to stuff like Gorgoroth.

And I LISTEN to heavy and aggressive stuff...Slayer, Napalm Death, Obituary, Kreator, etc...I LOVE Slayer, but once you get faster and 'more extreme' than them, you look almost clownish.

Youtube some of the stuff about the Norweigan Black Metal bands...laughable fools.

Re Jordison...He's a good drummer, I even like a few Slipknot songs, but nothing I want to listen to more than 2 or 3 times.

Thats incredibly narrow minded, and I think your missing the point of extreme metal big time, but each to their own! Anywho joey is a nice guy and a decent drummer, shame his name gets spammed on youtube drumming videos so much!

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with a question, and forgive me if it is obvious to everyone but me... But what brand (make & model) of pedals does Joey use? I'm curious.

i dont see how ANYBODY can put down Joey like that when no one here can measure up to his talent EVR. he has truly amazing foot speed and unbelievably fast hands. now i agree that he could use more styles to get the "best" drummer title, but in his genre of music, he owns it. he owns metal, lars ulrich has rock, and travis barker is a showy, and shitty, drummer. now, i kno that im just doin tha same thing yall r doin and criticizing the drummers of the genres of music that i dont listen to, but any one of yall let me kno when yall can measure up to joey. Good Luck.

Music is life.
Drums are passion.
---------------------------------------------
Larz Goodner

Back