Which Pads Feel Most Like Real Drums?

Hey Chris…since you recommend Superior over BFD2..is the Superior software I need called
"TOONTRACK SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0 DRUM SOFTWARE"

I found this software on ebay for $169…seems like a good price…what do ya think?

Hey Chris…since you recommend Superior over BFD2..is the Superior software I need called
"TOONTRACK SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0 DRUM SOFTWARE"

I found this software on ebay for $169…seems like a good price…what do ya think?

Yes, its Superior Drummer 2.0 Go to http://audiodeluxe.com They have it for $159. I would also recommend the Metal Machine EZX, The Classic EZX, and Music City SDX. Those are by far my favorites. I have almost all of the expansions. The Metal Machine is a great rock pack. I hate metal music, so dont let the title throw you.

picture.php

picture.php

Next time I am passing through Savannah, I am going to have to schedule some time to come by and play this kit. I have seen so many pictures of it. I gotta give this kit a run sometime. I used to drive through there all the time when I was staying at my other house in Florida. I would drive through on my way up to NC.

Yes, its Superior Drummer 2.0 Go to http://audiodeluxe.com They have it for $159. I would also recommend the Metal Machine EZX, The Classic EZX, and Music City SDX. Those are by far my favorites. I have almost all of the expansions. The Metal Machine is a great rock pack. I hate metal music, so dont let the title throw you.

Cool!…yea I've been meaning to try out some VST's..one thing holding me back has been a fast enough laptop..although that is gonna change here soon..as I plan on getting a new macbook pro within the next couple months..

Next time I am passing through Savannah, I am going to have to schedule some time to come by and play this kit. I have seen so many pictures of it. I gotta give this kit a run sometime. I used to drive through there all the time when I was staying at my other house in Florida. I would drive through on my way up to NC.

Anytime man..now if we can yamaha to put some wood shells around those TCS pads…that would be the ticket…:)

Is the kick pad of the dtxtreme pictured below as quiet as the Roland kick pad? Was wondering if I should go for this kind of kick pad with my dtx kit instead of the Roland kick, so as to keep it in the family so to speak??

Is the kick pad of the dtxtreme pictured below as quiet as the Roland kick pad? Was wondering if I should go for this kind of kick pad with my dtx kit instead of the Roland kick, so as to keep it in the family so to speak??

If you're referring to the RHP kick pad, then yes it is as quiet as any other mesh head kick pad…and it looks better to boot..

What's the model # for such a kick pad?
I checked out the KP125 but honestly felt that was kinda loud too, compared to the large white Roland mesh kick pad.
If you're saying the RHP kick pad is equally quiet I'd love to get my hands on one, but not sure how to find it in a Google search (model #)? How much they go for? Thanks in advance!

sorry, but i must say that i am totaly against electronic drums.. i still do not get how many artist stil use such stuff.. karla

Then why are you reading threads in an electronic drum section? I am sure I can rack up more practice hours in a week than you can. I can play at all hours of the night or day without disturbing neighbors. Most drummers cannot do that unless they have a sound isolation room. While you sit on the couch air drumming or playing on a practice pad listening to tap, tap, tap, I am playing on a full drum set that is a 95% replication of my acoustic kit and hearing actual drums that are recorded in some of the best studios around the world. I have a plethora of cymbals, toms, snares, hats, etc to choose from companies like DW, Gretch, Tama, Ludwig, Slingerland, Noble N Coley, Rogers, Sonar, Pearl, Yamaha, Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, etc. All in vintage and modern flavors. And then, when I feel like it, I can walk out to the garage and play my acoustic kit. Electronic drums are not what you think they are anymore. Synthesizer sounds from a small, toy looking kit with plastic pad days are long gone. Your the one missing out but thanks for stopping by. How is that practice pad sounding? Just like it did yesterday, right? I have not had a drummer yet that that has sat down behind my kit while triggering Superior Drummer and not had have a huge grin on their face. Most of the time, I have to kick them off the set, or they would try to move in to my house.... LOL I can also record my playing so I can better critique my performance, I can use software to show if I am in front or behind the beat live, I can measure the dynamics of my strokes, etc etc. Electronic drums can and will make you a better drummer. Its all about practice and the more practice the better. Granted, ekits are not a replacement for acoustic drums. I still prefer the feel of acoustics better, but I would never, never, never be without an ekit......EVER!

Chris

Last edited:
i tried searching under 'rhp kick pad' to no avail. anyone know how i can find more info on this kick pad?
its different from the KP125, no?

i tried searching under 'rhp kick pad' to no avail. anyone know how i can find more info on this kick pad?
its different from the KP125, no?

If you are referring to the kick on Scorch's kit, they are no longer available. I believe those are about 10 years old and are hard to find these days. I mentioned earlier that I like the KD9 a lot, and its only $150 at RMC. I have owned a lot of different kicks, and I prefer this one the best.

Thanks Chris, yes that's right I remember you mentioning the Roland kick pad. I was just trying to see if there's anything in the Yamaha family kick pads which are quiet, so as to keep my kit 'in brand' so to speak. Sounds like the Roland kick you recommend is the way to go tho. The bigger Roland white mesh kick looks cool too. Any experience with those? Both Yamaha kick pads (big & small one) that I tried were loud, unfortunately.

Thanks Chris, yes that's right I remember you mentioning the Roland kick pad. I was just trying to see if there's anything in the Yamaha family kick pads which are quiet, so as to keep my kit 'in brand' so to speak. Sounds like the Roland kick you recommend is the way to go tho. The bigger Roland white mesh kick looks cool too. Any experience with those? Both Yamaha kick pads (big & small one) that I tried were loud, unfortunately.

Yes, I owned the larger 12" Roland mesh kick. It was on my TD20 setup. It was one of the first items I sold. I didnt like the rebound at all with the pedals. I sold it and bought two KD8s at the time because I was playing a double bass acoustic kit. The KD8 didnt have any give and was kinda loud, but I preferred it over the trampoline mesh. I really am an anti-mesh guy, so you might want to go try the kicks out for yourself. It is all personal preference, so you may love the feel of something I despise. I think the KD9 is a good common ground but I am itching to try the Pearl Tru-Trac head on a standard kick drum. It felt pretty good when I played it at Guitar Center; however, it was noisier than the KD9. On my ekit, stick and pad noise is important to me since my drums are in the room next to where my wife watches TV. If mama aint happy, no ones happy.

If you are referring to the kick on Scorch's kit, they are no longer available. I believe those are about 10 years old and are hard to find these days. I mentioned earlier that I like the KD9 a lot, and its only $150 at RMC. I have owned a lot of different kicks, and I prefer this one the best.

It's called a KP120 RHP..you can still find them occasionally on ebay..generally they sell in the $250-$350 range…the last year I saw maybe three of them on ebay..

Thanks guys. Chris I'll follow your suggestion and go KD9 for the kick for now. Unless I happen to come across a KP120 RHP (which would keep my kit in the Yamaha brand). Will update you guys once I've made the purchase.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I was always a fan of the 10" mesh snare, and the rubber toms. Could never stand the mesh toms for some reason... though, eventually I would get sick of the whole damn set up and go back to acoustic drums.

I can appreciate everyone has an opinion and a preference, but being against it?..like people are against drugs or against racism or against abortion.

To each there own I always say. I like the acoustic kit and I like the electric kit for different reasons. How many people were against the electric guitar when they came out?

I'm not trying to get anyones back up or anything- but when drummers display purism or whatever it is.. it just seems childish. (and I'm not directing this at Karla specifically)

I played a gig where our band was opening for another band and I met the other drummer. I was playing an electric kit with real cymbals, but the other drummer hadn't seen that yet. I talked with the other drummer and we hit it off. When he found out I had an electric kit he scoffed at me and I was shunned. Didn't speak with me again aside from some anti electric drum statement. I found it funny at the time. Still do actually!

sorry, but i must say that i am totaly against electronic drums.. i still do not get how many artist stil use such stuff.. karla

Hey Chris,

So I e-mailed Erik at RMC for a quote.

For cost & space efficiency, and because I like the larger pads instead of the ones in the 560 bundle, I've tweaked the standard DTX 560 bundle components to suit my needs. For example, since I only play a 4-piece kit, I'll only need one rack tom instead of two. Also for space & cost efficiency, I'm foregoing the rack and using my current hardware instead. Here are the components.

15" PCY150S ride cymbal
15" PCY150S crash cymbal
13" RHH135 hi-hats
10" XP100T tom pad
12" XP120T floor tom pad
12" XP120SD (B-Stock) snare pad
Roland KD9 kick pad
DTX500 module

I was wondering if you had any suggestions about the above? Are there any changes or more current components that you'd recommend me replacing out for any of the above?

Thanks Chris!

I can appreciate everyone has an opinion and a preference, but being against it?..like people are against drugs or against racism or against abortion.

To each there own I always say. I like the acoustic kit and I like the electric kit for different reasons. How many people were against the electric guitar when they came out?

I'm not trying to get anyones back up or anything- but when drummers display purism or whatever it is.. it just seems childish. (and I'm not directing this at Karla specifically)

I played a gig where our band was opening for another band and I met the other drummer. I was playing an electric kit with real cymbals, but the other drummer hadn't seen that yet. I talked with the other drummer and we hit it off. When he found out I had an electric kit he scoffed at me and I was shunned. Didn't speak with me again aside from some anti electric drum statement. I found it funny at the time. Still do actually!

I understand where you're coming from…e-kits certainly have their place in the drumming community and personnally I like them and use them regularly…however, that being said, IMO they'll never replace an acoustic kit, both from a visual and sonic perspective…VST software has gotten the sonic side alot closer than it's ever been, but for me no e-kit can touch the looks of a well set up acoustic kit…just my 2 cents..

Hey Chris,

So I e-mailed Erik at RMC for a quote.

For cost & space efficiency, and because I like the larger pads instead of the ones in the 560 bundle, I've tweaked the standard DTX 560 bundle components to suit my needs. For example, since I only play a 4-piece kit, I'll only need one rack tom instead of two. Also for space & cost efficiency, I'm foregoing the rack and using my current hardware instead. Here are the components.

15" PCY150S ride cymbal
15" PCY150S crash cymbal
13" RHH135 hi-hats
10" XP100T tom pad
12" XP120T floor tom pad
12" XP120SD (B-Stock) snare pad
Roland KD9 kick pad
DTX500 module

I was wondering if you had any suggestions about the above? Are there any changes or more current components that you'd recommend me replacing out for any of the above?

Thanks Chris!

Sounds like a pretty nice setup Chris!…the only thing you might think about adding is another cymbal…yamaha makes a PCY100 (10") that makes for a nice splash or crash…and because of its size doesn't take up too much room...

Back