Keith Carlock

I saw Keith at the Orlando clinic and found him to be thoroughly inspiring. I talked with Billy Ashbaugh afterwards and he said the same thing. Keith has great musicality and great technique. He has a very fluid way of playing and his ability to relax his grip and open his playing leaves room for some truly great grooves and chops.

His question and answer session revealed a humility and sense of humor which only those who are really confident in their ability can project. he is a great player and he deserves the respect due to someone who has landed the types of gigs he has. In truth, I hate meeting the "artist" at events like this because the room for conversation is so stilted - "uh . . . that was great" seems to be the best thing to say but seems so passe. But that is probably just me. Ddespite the subjective awkwardness, Keith came across as a nice, genuine guy, in love with his art, approachable yet infinitely talented.

Paul

The guy's got it goin' on. Great groove, touch and feel. Not to mention enough chops to keep anyone happy. I don't see how see how he can play with his drums tilted like that though. Not for me. But hey, different strokes for different folks. A great young drummer.

jammaster said:
I have seen a 15 min long solo...it was really impressive and very musical, there wasn't a single boring moment!

this guy stands out in solos. you described his playing exactly. the cool thing is that he's not trying to show off his chops, he's just playing musicially by himself.

I had the pleasure to see him live with The Blues Brothers in Montreux about 5 years ago. I remember thinking that the band was not very hot and kind of a disappointment to me but that the drummer was really hot. And it seems I was right. Keith really held the band together and saved it on what might have been a night off for TBB. He was so much into the music and grooved like crazy.

For whatever reasons I seem to not be that much into NY drummers with the exception of Gadd, Billy Ward, Chris Parker, Anton Fig and now Keith Carlock.

Keith has the potential to become one of the greats.

I had the oppportunity to catch Keith playing in NY a few weeks ago...he is good for the soul...especially, after evacuating Katrina...I know he would be welcomed at Jazz Fest this year or any other year...he has the New Orleans' style.....quite funky and down right soulful..

My guitarist buddy just bought Oz Noy's "HA!" album with Keith Carlock and Anton Fig on it....and wow. I mean WOW. Keith Carlock has some of the funkiest, coolest grooves out there. They're version of Say What ?! is totally rockin.

Pick up this CD if you can!

Carlock is slowly becoming one of my favorite new players out there!

What can i say... I just saw the MD festival DVD's and would like to input that Carlock was somenthing that i did not expect.... Gotta Lov Da Groove boy, and hes definetly showing some lov. i think its satisfiying to see someone with his aproach to drum soloing... a watching the guy rocking that wacky set up is just the begining part of how entertaining his performances can be as well as mind expanding. MAD Props Keith!!! another drummer for me to disect HAHA!!!!

I just bought "Morph the Cat" - the latest offering from Donald Fagen. The grooves on this CD are fantastic. A lesson in taste and proficiency!! This guy is truly inspirational. Another one who understands that sometimes it's not what you play but what you leave out.

Spiritual

Paul

I could do research and probably find out on my own, but instead I'm going to be lazy and ask you guys. :p

Did Keith record the song "Josie" off of the album Aja with Steely Dan?

deltadrummer1 said:
Did Keith record the song "Josie" off of the album Aja with Steely Dan?

Hehe, Keith was probably five years old when that song was recorded!!!

That was Steve Gadd on the original recording, and if you've heard the live version, then that is Dennis Chambers.

Seems like a pretty decent lineup of drummers, especially when you throw in Jeff Porcaro and Bernhard Purdie.

the monster solo on his page on drummerworld is simply astonishing. my jaw was on the floor for the whole length. i would like to hear more of his drumming

Stu_Strib said:
That was Steve Gadd on the original recording, and if you've heard the live version, then that is Dennis Chambers.

I'm pretty sure that's not Gadd on the original. From memory (before my CD collection got stolen) that's maybe Jim Keltner? I know it's Purdie on Home At Last and Gadd on Aja... but I'm almost certain it's not Gadd on Josie.

Or I could just be making a fool of myself.

Edit: Or Rick Marotta. I'm leaning that way now, but I'd really have to check.

Carlock With Krantz

I first saw Keith Carlock with Wayne Krantz (best guitarist out there) and Tim Lefebvre (WK3) at the 55 Bar in the Village... incredible band improvisation.. a whole new level. Try to get to hear some of this stuff... Check out WWW.waynekrantz.com for downloads and CD's.

Pagey

I thought he was asking about the song Aja too. That would be Steve Gadd. Me read fast brain go slow.

I can only repeat whats already been said. Very unique, different, and very musical. I watched his videos and found myself moving in my chair the way he was. It is different than what is grabing drummers attention nowadays. SINGLE pedal not a thousand miles an hour and just fun to watch and hear.

Davidb59 said:
Finn gets the prize. It was Jim Keltner on Josie. There were 6 different drummers on the album Aja.

So it's Jim Keltner, eh?

Well the reason I asked this, is because I'm VERY impressed with the drumming in Josie. In this song, I love how he sits behind the band and simply grooves with FINESSE, yet still shows how technically sound he is by just adding in those subtle things. For instance, he uses ghost notes..or accents on the hats in appropriate places in the song. He doesn't overplay. Impressive, I tell you! He does the job of keeping the song going...and yet still lets the song breathe. VERY SOLID DRUMMING! I love this aspect. Jim Keltner is a big influence of mine now haha... And I know that you guys have an appreciation for this kind of drumming too.

Thanks for saving me the time of looking it up :p... Can you guys tell me of any other drummers or songs that have this same kind of drumming?

Last edited:
Back