Yamaha 3-hole mounting system + other stand?

anthony574

Hello

I play a Yamaha SC 5-piece set and recently switched to an offset layout for my toms. I have the Yamaha 3-hole reciever and enjoy using it, and wanted to use a stand for it instead of buying a whole new unit. Basically, I need a base to stick the reciever into.

Anyway, I kept reading that any Yamaha cymbal stand should accept the reciever. Well, I tried my Yamaha boom cymbal stand that has two levels of telescoping bars. The smaller hole was too small, and the larger whole was too large. I found that if I tightened enough, it seems to clasp around the reciever's tube, but it doesnt feel snug. Only with a memory lock do I feel secure that it wont slide down, however, I dont like how easily it rotates!

When Yamaha says that any cymbal stand will accept the 3-hole reciever, do they mean that it will fit in snugly, or that it will fit, period??

I don't own Yamaha gear, but with my Tama hardware it depends on two things:

1. the year the stand was made
2. the hardware line (i.e.-RoadPro, Titan, etc.).

I have Tama hardware going back at least 15 years or more and I can mix and match some of it but not all.

If you can measure the shaft size of the "3-hole receiver" (diameter in mm) you should be able to cross reference that number to a stand that will fit it.

You may even try calling or emailing Yamaha, or finding a Yamaha forum and ask there.

I have offset toms on my Stage Custom. I moved the tom mount arm to a Pearl cymbal stand ant it fit perfectly. No memory lock needed.

The stand is at least 20 years old and I don't know the model number. I bought the Stage Customs new in 2011

When Yamaha says that any cymbal stand will accept the 3-hole reciever, do they mean that it will fit in snugly, or that it will fit, period??

The YAMAHA tube dia is 7/8"

So that's what you're looking for, its a somewhat common size.

The YAMAHA tube dia is 7/8"

So that's what you're looking for, its a somewhat common size.

^ This.

Both Pearl and Yamaha use 7/8 in most of their cymbal arms.

But not every full stand has a 7/8 section.

Well, after reading about your guys' success using Yamaha stands for the 3-hole receiver, I just have to assume that maybe the stand I have is too old? I bought it new about 10 years ago.

Well, after reading about your guys' success using Yamaha stands for the 3-hole receiver, I just have to assume that maybe the stand I have is too old? I bought it new about 10 years ago.

It's not that it's too old. It's because not all Yamaha cymbal stands have that size (new or old).

Back